Non-LEO's locking guns up at correctional/court houses? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Non-LEO's locking guns up at correctional/court houses?

emt1581
05-09-2011, 19:08
I work in administration at the local kiddie prison. Awesome job, but pretty much the only place aside from a school that I can't carry and obviously it's a security risk to do so. Now legally, I am allowed to lock up my pistol in our lobby and it'll be secured by the deputies. However, the rest of administration would probably get their dander up over it even though I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal.

Now the building itself it secure...layers of security. But across the street and the entire area surrounding the correctional block is pretty much a ghetto. Walking to the car at night has gotten a few people mugged/stalked/etc.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

-Emt1581

Newcop761
05-09-2011, 19:58
Nope.

steveksux
05-09-2011, 20:08
I work in administration at the local kiddie prison. Awesome job, but pretty much the only place aside from a school that I can't carry and obviously it's a security risk to do so. Now legally, I am allowed to lock up my pistol in our lobby and it'll be secured by the deputies. However, the rest of administration would probably get their dander up over it even though I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal.

Now the building itself it secure...layers of security. But across the street and the entire area surrounding the correctional block is pretty much a ghetto. Walking to the car at night has gotten a few people mugged/stalked/etc.

-Emt1581You carry a gun because it may help in an emergency. You don't carry where its illegal because there may be consequences. In effect, the gun may be more likely to be a detriment than an advantage where carrying it is illegal. Its more likely to be an advantage where it is legal to carry.

It is overwhelmingly more likely to not have any effect whatsoever. You probably won't get caught in illegal places, you probably won't ever need to use it in the legal places.

So the question you must answer is this: Are you more worried about what the office thinks about you locking up your firearm, or being vulnerable on the way to the car?

Do whatever is most likely to result in the better outcome.

Can you get the best of both worlds? What of all the other workers who are exposed on the way to the car? Can you organize something to have a deputy walk people to their cars at night? The pistol only helps you. A deputy would help everybody.

Randy

Agent6-3/8
05-09-2011, 22:34

-Emt1581

Are you carrying on a CCW or are you granted limited authority based on your position? If its the later, I can't see where locking it up would be a problem. I suspect since you're asking its the former and I can see where that might be a sticky situation.

lawman800
05-10-2011, 00:54
Follow the rules. Ask someone to walk you if you can.

emt1581
05-10-2011, 05:19
Follow the rules. Ask someone to walk you if you can.

No no, locking it up is well within the rules. What is at issue here is how doing so is received and viewed by others in the office.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Vigilant
05-10-2011, 06:32
No no, locking it up is well within the rules. What is at issue here is how doing so is received and viewed by others in the office.

Thanks

-Emt1581

I wouldn't worry about the rumor mill if you are following SOP.

DaBigBR
05-10-2011, 07:06
Or install a small console type safe in your vehicle.

MrSmoofy
05-10-2011, 07:46
You have the right to protect yourself. They offer the ability for them to lockup your firearm while at work. Personally I would take advantage of it and not worry what the others thought. Are you saying your the only one that would do this? A very long time ago I worked for a facility just like yours in a location just like yours. Often Times I worked 3rd shift. I wish back then I had the ability to do this. Nothing happened but I was always concerned when I came and left for work.

Also why do business that would prefer you not carry in their buiness not offer the ability to lock up your firearm?