Miami Shootout 1986 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Miami Shootout 1986

Steeler58
05-09-2011, 23:15
Mas- How much of a difference do you think as a former PO a Glock 22 with 16-18 rounds would have made for those guys? Same thing for home defense-SW 686 plus 7 round or large glock. This is a large generalization, but your opinion would be interesting. thanks

Mas Ayoob
05-10-2011, 11:15
Not as much difference as AR15s would have made, but certainly, a difference. Gordon McNeill, whose six-shooter ran dry in the opening moments of the shootout, bought a 16 shot SIG P226 9mm as soon as they were authorized. Ed Mireles, who finished the fight emptying his S&W 686, bought a SIG P220 as soon as the .45 autos were authorized, circa 1988. John Hanlon, who was shot after his 5-shot Chief ran dry, bought his own Glock after retiring. You can hear Hanlon's assessment of it in his ProArms Podcast interview with me, here:

http://proarmspodcast.com/2011/01/10/065-an-interview-with-retired-fbi-agent-john-hanlon-on-the-1986-fbi-firefight-in-miami/

Home defense scenarios tend to be much less complicated than the legendary Dade County/FBI firefight, but more ammo is never a bad thing. While I personally have a six-shooter at bedside several nights a year (usually when on the road, shooting revolver matches), my bedside handgun is more likely to be a Glock or equivalent, mounting white light.

Individual needs to take into consideration are many, including the fact that one or another of the family members authorized to use the gun may simply be more comfortable and confident with one type or the other.

best,
Mas

Steeler58
05-10-2011, 16:42
thank you for the response mas