15 shootings, 8 dead, Another ATL weekend [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 15 shootings, 8 dead, Another ATL weekend

thooks
05-10-2011, 06:49
http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/15-shootings-in-three-940463.html

Just another weekend in Atlanta...But it's a SAFE city...

15 shootings in three days, eight men killed

It was a deadly weekend in metro Atlanta.

The first killing shots were fired before sunrise Friday in DeKalb County and the last ones sounded Sunday evening in downtown Atlanta.

Eight separate shootings erupted in Atlanta or Clayton, Cobb or DeKalb counties. In less than 87 hours, seven people were wounded and eight people were killed, all shot by someone they knew, police say. By Monday arrests had been made in five cases.

Only four of the dead victims had been named. Police were still trying to find relatives of the others.

4:30 a.m. Friday – Four people were shot -- three fatally -- by the same person at two DeKalb County locations by the same person, police said.

The first shooting happened during a street argument on Tally Ho Drive and left two men dead. The suspect then went to Cloverleaf Drive and shot two more people, police said.

The suspect barricaded himself in the Cloverleaf house but surrendered to police just after 7 a.m. No names were released Monday because “we’re having some trouble with IDs,” said DeKalb Police spokeswoman Mekka Parish.

The suspect was in jail and the wounded victim was in the hospital Monday.

6:40 p.m. Friday – A robbery attempt during a drug sale near downtown left a man with a gunshot wound in the shoulder, police said.

Four men and a woman were in an SUV at the intersection of West Peachtree and Simpson streets when one of them pulled out a gun to robbed the others, police said. One occupant was shot.

Police said the shooter tried to get out of the SUV but was dragged a short distance before he got away. After a brief police manhunt, three men, including the shooter, and the woman were in custody and charged with armed robbery and several drug offenses. The wounded man was not charged.

9 p.m. Friday – Four men got into an argument at an entrance to Underground Atlanta; one was shot and killed.

As people milled around the sidewalks to the entertainment mall and nearby MARTA Five Points station, at least four shots were fired inside the glass enclosure at the top of the escalator into the mall. Three men disappeared into the crowd and police said they don’t know who they are.

Demons Hambrick, shot in the back, died on the way to the hospital.

4 p.m. Saturday - A 66-year-old man shot his adult son, Cobb County police said, after an argument between the son and his mother over “putting his whites in the laundry.” The father joined in and got his handgun to make a point, police said.

He dropped the magazine from the semi-automatic but did not realize there was a bullet in the chamber, police said. The son, whose name was not released, was hospitalized with a gunshot wound to his torso. The father faces an aggravated assault charge.

7:15 p.m. Saturday – Police said the pastor of a southwest Atlanta church shot and wounded a 13-year-old in retaliation for throwing a rock at his car. Alex Williams, of the Mechanicsville Church of God in Christ, pulled out a .38 revolver and shot the teen in the hip after the boy threw a rock through the back window of Williams' car, police said.

Neighbors and members of the congregation say the church and Williams’ house have been vandalized and set afire. The pastor faces aggravated assault charges. The teenager was in stable condition Monday.

8:05 p.m. Saturday – Three men were shot and killed and a fourth critically wounded in a residential area near Morrow, in Clayton County.

Many neighbors on Burton Circle were out when the shots were fired at a house in the 2400 block. Antonio Frye, 30, and Eddie Moore III, 25, both of South Carolina, died in the front yard. Police found two more men shot inside and transported them to the hospital, where Brian Clemons, 39, of Morrow, died early Sunday. Witnesses said a dark sedan was involved but police said it wasn’t a drive-by. Police said they believe the victims and shooters knew each other and more than one weapon was used. There have been no arrests.

11:30 p.m. Saturday - SWAT officers were called to Memorial Drive in Atlanta to look for five men who, police said, got into an argument with two brothers and shot one of them twice in the lower abdomen. The victim was hospitalized Monday and no arrests had been made.

7:45 p.m. Sunday – A man was fatally shot in the chest in downtown Atlanta. An officer patrolling on Peachtree Street was flagged down and told shots had been fired around Mitchell and Forsyth streets, where officers found Michael Hester, 33, dead. Lamarius Jackson, 37, was arrested after he went to Grady Memorial Hospital to be treated for a gunshot wound to the arm. Jackson is charged with murder.

Deployment Solu
05-10-2011, 07:53
Safe city? Yeah, right! I'd have two safe(full) if I lived in that city!!!

pilsbury
05-10-2011, 08:17
Ah, the joys of living the urban life.

A6Gator
05-10-2011, 08:18
Lemme guess, the Bloomberg-types are calling for more gun control...:upeyes:

MarcDW
05-10-2011, 08:28
And it is not even hot yet!

Gator Monroe
05-10-2011, 08:30
Let me guess , all you dazzeling urbanites are staying put insted of bugging out in future SHTF situation ...:rofl:

Beware Owner
05-10-2011, 08:38
Good thing no innocents were killed.

ronduke
05-10-2011, 09:23
I guess Atlanta is just like Chicago. In Chicago, they are bragging about the big drop in crime, while every weekend there is a bloodbath.
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/news/local/chibrknews-cops-violent-crime-drops-in-april-auto-thefts-arsons-up-20110508,0,349309.story

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/news/local/chibrknews-at-least-6-wounded-in-afternoon-violence-in-chicago-20110507,0,470306.story

Ajon412
05-10-2011, 09:48
Lemme guess, the Bloomberg-types are calling for more gun control...:upeyes:

Of course....Don't you realize that MORE GUN LAWS will prevent CRIMINALS from using firearms when they commit CRIMES......:rofl: Don't you get the logic.....Makes sense to me....:whistling:

Mayhem like Me
05-10-2011, 09:49
To be fair that's the body count for METRO Atlanta,,A huge area with about 6.5 million people.

Gator Monroe
05-10-2011, 10:39
To be fair that's the body count for METRO Atlanta,,A huge area with about 6.5 million people.
And it's not even a border city in a border state ...:whistling:

cowboywannabe
05-10-2011, 10:58
anywhere where there is a large segment of gubmint housing, urban "culture", rap music, and a place named Martin Luther King Jr. blvd, st., ave., there will be violence.

fx77
05-10-2011, 11:23
Uset ot live in ATlanta and work in the Grady Hosp Trauma unit...beware
Welfare check weekend, full moon, summer heat, and alcohol in my time...
One nite got in 5 GSW to chest...
My chief resident never saw any gunshot wound in Viet Nam that he didn't previously see in training at the Gradys'

Mayhem like Me
05-10-2011, 11:30

Nope but it IS the major drug trafficking hub in America, meth, coke and heroin....

Gator Monroe
05-10-2011, 12:06
Nope but it IS the major drug trafficking hub in America, meth, coke and heroin....
All those Items (Including Pot) come from elsewhere to Atlanta ... as for a Hub there are others that serve larger areas Don't buy any cities HIDTA units hype ...

packsaddle
05-10-2011, 13:10
a retired houston captain once said "the city breeds insanity".

DaBigBR
05-10-2011, 13:28
All those Items (Including Pot) come from elsewhere to Atlanta ... as for a Hub there are others that serve larger areas Don't buy any cities HIDTA units hype ...

Given his rank, agency, and background, I don't think we're getting "HIDTA hype."

Mayhem like Me
05-10-2011, 13:55

They come from elsewhere for sure, but I am more hooked in on this than you would imagine..80% of east coast stuff comes through Atlanta..

AGF0526
05-10-2011, 17:46
Look at the bright side Atlanta didn't lose any voters or a taxpayers.

Zut
05-10-2011, 17:48
I live about 15 miles north of downtown. Been in Atlanta over 25 years and love the area. The only time I go downtown is to renew my carry permit...

RottnJP
05-10-2011, 18:25
They come from elsewhere for sure, but I am more hooked in on this than you would imagine..80% of east coast stuff comes through Atlanta..

Damn, didn't realize it was that bad.

EOD3
05-10-2011, 19:04

6,499,992 Not counting bodies not yet found... Another verse of "Turning His Life Around" by the SobStory Sisters accompanied by the "Jackson ACLU Band".

Roadkill_751
05-10-2011, 19:23
The area that Swatbwana and I work at is having crime like downtown ATL.:2gun:

We have had a murder, armed robberies, and burglaries from the street urchins out of Hot Lanta. We have been lucky and they are being captured and introduced to a "better" justice system than the one from ATL. There is no "rocket docket" and out the door. :50cal:

MeefZah
05-10-2011, 22:15
Thinning da herd.

Streetking
05-12-2011, 12:12
Those are horrible statistics. I think more treatments centers and incentives to avoid crime, like educational oppportunities and jobs progarams, would solve many of the citie's problems.

Roadkill_751
05-12-2011, 12:54
1. The Nekkid lady in Gwinnett County dispatching the 33 yoa scum that tried to rape her.

2. I am sure that there are more that hasn't been reported.....:yawn:

MarcDW
05-13-2011, 00:43
Those are horrible statistics. I think more treatments centers and incentives to avoid crime, like educational oppportunities and jobs progarams, would solve many of the citie's problems.

Yeah, through more money at them!
How about hiring instead 50 more cops and have them patrol those areas?
Cheaper and more effective!

zigzagg321
05-13-2011, 00:47
Another confirmation of the reason I moved far away from the booty hole called Atlanta 3 years ago.

Beware Owner
05-13-2011, 08:10

Damn illegals tearing our country up.