CMMG M4LEP II Complete Piston Upper any thoughts/experience? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CMMG M4LEP II Complete Piston Upper any thoughts/experience?

stlguntrader
05-10-2011, 17:50
looking into getting a piston ran upper this cmmg seems to be at a good price point however cmmg is one of the many more common ar-15 makers that I dont really know anything about good/bad/ok. Most of the other brands you hear alot about but I really never hear anything on cmmg either way. Any experience with this upper or your thoughts on it?
CMMG M4LEP II Complete Piston Upper

WoodenPlank
05-10-2011, 17:54
looking into getting a piston ran upper this cmmg seems to be at a good price point however cmmg is one of the many more common ar-15 makers that I dont really know anything about good/bad/ok. Most of the other brands you hear alot about but I really never hear anything on cmmg either way. Any experience with this upper or your thoughts on it?
CMMG M4LEP II Complete Piston Upper

Reading that triggered a migraine.

Unless youre shooting thousands and thousands of rounds a year, or just want to have the "COOL" thing, I don't see much point in going piston in an AR.

shadow65
05-10-2011, 18:05
I have been conducting test on an 11.5" CMMG Piston upper 5.56.
So far, it has ran well, accuracy is better than average, and it does stay cleaner in the lower receiver and bolt.
I've not run 1000's of rounds through it yet. The 500 I have ran have been without incident. I also ran Wolf, as I always do, to see if it cycled. It did.
CMMG has reworked the piston block and plug. The plug is a one piece design now as opposed to copper rings sealing it. The block is said to be harder material than the older style.
so far I am pleased with it. I'll try some suppressor work with it.

I will say while working with CMMG, their customer service has been top notch. This is over the past year.

Dave

stlguntrader
05-10-2011, 19:45

Unless youre shooting thousands and thousands of rounds a year, or just want to have the "COOL" thing, I don't see much point in going piston in an AR.

w/e piston ran guns cycle much faster and stay cleaner

WoodenPlank
05-10-2011, 19:47
w/e piston ran guns cycle much faster and stay cleaner

They don't really stay cleaner, they just move the fouling to another part of the gun. They also tend to have a little more felt recoil, and less standard parts (obviously) that can make repairs a little more bothersome.

jing1117
05-10-2011, 22:23

The OP is asking experiences regarding CMMG piston ran uppers - why do you have to make this into a comparison between piston and DI systems? Give him the info that he needs and let him decide if its for him or not. People just want to try new things - its their money that their spending so its ok.

For the OP, I have used a CMMG piston upper that belonged to a friend and with over 1200 (600 PMC, 200 5.56 LC and the rest are reloads)rounds that we ran on it on that day we never had a mafunction. Accuracy is similar to Spikes and Adams arms uppers.

stlguntrader
05-20-2011, 02:15
i pretty much knew someone would make it a comparison between piston/di but truth is I work hard so I am lucky to be able to afford the luxury or owning more then one of a particular weapon system so why not give it a try;)

mixflip
05-20-2011, 11:03
You should know by now that the mere mention of the words "piston and AR" will always result in a battle cry for the haters to show up.

I just ignore them and do my homework and if it does what I need it to do and has the features I want at a price I am comfortable with... I'll buy it.

When my father was In Vietnam, he hated his newly issued M16 and if he had a computer to complain about it back then I am sure the forums would have bashed the hell out of it for not being like an M14.

I know AR15.com is hit or miss on the popularity scale...but they do have a dedicated piston AR subsection that is full of non-haters if you really want to get piston information on a forum? I really wish Glock talk had a piston AR subsection but it will never happen.

mjkeat
05-20-2011, 14:09
If you are looking for info do you really want people to stroke you and tell you what they think you want to hear? I know I want to hear both, pros and cons, before I make a decision. You'll never get any good info surrounded by yes men.

stlguntrader
05-20-2011, 20:50
If you are looking for info do you really want people to stroke you and tell you what they think you want to hear? I know I want to hear both, pros and cons, before I make a decision. You'll never get any good info surrounded by yes men.

well I wasnt asking about experience with piston ran ar's I was asking about experience with a particular brand piston ran ar. ive done my homework and I think Im gonna go with the adam arms piston upper for not much more and it has a chrome lined barrel

jing1117
05-20-2011, 21:04
well I wasnt asking about experience with piston ran ar's I was asking about experience with a particular brand piston ran ar. ive done my homework and I think Im gonna go with the adam arms piston upper for not much more and it has a chrome lined barrel

I made the same choice - instead of CMMG I went with Adams Arms - the design of Adams Arms is very good in my opinion and has been widely used by major brand AR manufacturers with their piston builds. I have been very happy with mine, runs flawless. I also have AR's with DI system and I would say I would trust both systems when a defense situation is needed.

MrMurphy
05-21-2011, 01:05
It's a solution looking for a problem.