Social media could place leo's at risk. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Social media could place leo's at risk.

ICARRY2
05-11-2011, 02:02
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/10/officials-warn-facebook-twitter-increase-police-vulnerability/

MeefZah
05-11-2011, 02:27
Posting **** on social media sites is a good way to find yourself jobless.

I cancelled my Facebook page over a year ago and have no interest in any of that garbage.

Umm.... except Glocktalk.... :embarassed:

Steve in PA
05-11-2011, 06:26
Depends what you post and who your friends are. Posting on FB is no different that posting on GT or Officer.com, etc.

razdog76
05-11-2011, 06:53
I agree with Steve, it is about the same as any other internet site. Professionalism is not a dirty word, and just like my email, I have little tolerance for BS.

MeefZah
05-11-2011, 07:52
Depends what you post and who your friends are. Posting on FB is no different that posting on GT or Officer.com, etc.

The problem on FB is that it's your name, your picture; next to your words... if you make an off color comment here at least there is a cloak of anonymity (thin though it may be)... FB it's out there. And I guaran-goddam-tee that at least one of your FB "friends" is a scheming a-hole who will promptly forward your comments to people you don't want to see them.

I guess if you can control running off at the mouth (or keyboard) it's okay. I, unfortunately, cannot.

Hack
05-11-2011, 07:54

:agree:

cowboywannabe
05-11-2011, 07:56
heres a novel idea, dont go on a social network site and say hey im an undercover cop and my name is so and so and live at this and that and work for xyz.....

razdog76
05-11-2011, 08:44
heres a novel idea, dont go on a social network site and say hey im an undercover cop and my name is so and so and live at this and that and work for xyz.....

Eureka, and any of your coworkers you find being too visible, take a second and tell them to cut that out.

Ajon412
05-11-2011, 08:48
Posting **** on social media sites is a good way to find yourself jobless.

I cancelled my Facebook page over a year ago and have no interest in any of that garbage.Umm.... except Glocktalk.... :embarassed:

:agree: Never been on it and never will.......There's just WAY TOO much information out there.....

DaBigBR
05-11-2011, 09:06
The title should be "LEOs could place selves at risk via social media"

Vigilant
05-11-2011, 09:16
That is, provided, you have an ID with your real name and a photo. Some folks just like to surf there annonymously and see which coworkers are friends with whom, etc. It has its uses.

volsbear
05-11-2011, 09:18
The title should be "LEOs could place selves at risk via social media"

That's a better title. It's more appropriate from a print media standpoint and it better contextualizes the problem for people involved. If you're going to participate, you've got to be real damn careful about what you put out there on the web. You could get your job in trouble by saying the wrong crap or you could place your family in jeopardy by posting location information. And everyone needs to FREQUENTLY check security settings. A buddy I work with will usually search for one another about every month or so just to see if any new identifiers pop up. Facebook, in particular, will reset your security settings every time they do an update.

I see co-workers doing those "check-ins" on Facebook a lot. Sometimes they're at a ball park and obviously it would be pretty hard to find them there. But some of these idiots check in at HOME. That includes a map. I sure hope for their sake that their security settings are correct.

Panzergrenadier1979
05-11-2011, 09:26
My agency's policy forbids officers with FB or MS accounts from making any reference to the department, it's uniforms, vehicles, training, etc.

CAcop
05-11-2011, 10:30
Social media when done with a brain can be an asset. An example is when I was pretty sure we have a union meeting I asked if there was one coming up. I got my answer within a few hours and I didn't have to trek into work or dig through files at home. Most of the time I just letting people know what I am doing when it is something interesting or just keeping up with what others are doing.

Yes people will do stupid things. Like one of our guys got into a pissing match with one of his friends over our cuts in pay. I never get that political or controversial.

My chief actually has a FB page and I friended him, most because I know him from when he was a Sgt. and I trust him. One of our deputy chiefs is on there but I think he just does it to get dirt on people.

In this day and age we as a profession better set some good policies on social media because it is going to affect us. Not just individually when we post drunken pics of ourselves but also as an organization. How many young people are going to want to go into LE if they know they are going to have to turn over all usernames and passwords for all social media? Like Rabbi pointed out what if you have rather personal but private messages to your wife or GF on there? Are you really going to work for a place that demands that? A far sounder policy might be you have to "friend" the guy doing your background and the settings for your page must let him full access to your site without getting into anything private. Also if you put yourself out there as a LEO then you might have to face tighter rules vs. if it is anonymous.

I think it is no different than being a Rotarian or a Mason. If you go to those meetings they are going to know you as "Joe the cop who works for Mayberry PD." Do you think everything you say there could end up in the paper? Yes, it is supposed to be private but if someone has an axe to grind...

scottydl
05-11-2011, 22:26
And everyone needs to FREQUENTLY check security settings.

Those settings are worthless for even a beginner hacker who knows what he/she is doing. It's very easy to backdoor FB pages regardless of "security" in place.

Even if you don't mention your agency, etc. there are plenty of BG's who will find out your full name and find you online - IF you use your real name or if they know anyone who you are friends with (using the FB example).

Better to just cancel the crap.

TreverSlyFox
05-12-2011, 01:40
While I can see FB and other sites could be a problem if you make it one as it just makes it even easier to track you. But, your already at risk whether you realize it or not, unless you work for a really big department, a determined person can easily find you.

I'd bet that within one or two weeks of knowing your name and department a person could know where you live, where your wife works and shops, where your kids go to school and after school activities, where you go to church and reasonably what all your normal schedules are.

You may not want to admit it but you have made not just yourself a target but your family as well. Luckily, up to now, that hasn't been much of a problem like it is in other countries. But that doesn't mean it will remain that way and I really doubt any of you have taken it seriously to heart as much as you might.

CAcop
05-12-2011, 02:32
While I can see FB and other sites could be a problem if you make it one as it just makes it even easier to track you. But, your already at risk whether you realize it or not, unless you work for a really big department, a determined person can easily find you.

I'd bet that within one or two weeks of knowing your name and department a person could know where you live, where your wife works and shops, where your kids go to school and after school activities, where you go to church and reasonably what all your normal schedules are.

You may not want to admit it but you have made not just yourself a target but your family as well. Luckily, up to now, that hasn't been much of a problem like it is in other countries. But that doesn't mean it will remain that way and I really doubt any of you have taken it seriously to heart as much as you might.

True. There are a few websites out there that give out my address going back 20 years. Facebook doesn't tell them much compared to public records.

volsbear
05-12-2011, 13:55
True. There are a few websites out there that give out my address going back 20 years. Facebook doesn't tell them much compared to public records.

They don't need the internet at all. If someone wants to find you, it's easy enough to follow you home.