Weapon for wife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Weapon for wife

Huber
05-11-2011, 10:48
My wife has a friend who got a weapon called the dna collector at a gun show and she is wanting one. They dont know the actual name of it but what its called. She said it looks like a kitty with spiky ears that you could stab into an attacker.

Anyone know what its called or where to buy one?

Bilbo Bagins
05-11-2011, 12:19
My wife has a friend who got a weapon called the dna collector at a gun show and she is wanting one. They dont know the actual name of it but what its called. She said it looks like a kitty with spiky ears that you could stab into an attacker.

Anyone know what its called or where to buy one?

Every time I do a search on a DNA collector this dress comes up :whistling:

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/clinton/lewinskydress.jpg

I never hear of it, can you describe what it looks like.

Huber
05-11-2011, 12:31
I think I finally found it

http://www.keykittytv.com/

pilsbury
05-11-2011, 13:19
That looks like a good way to make a mugger angry. A stun gun or pepper sparay would be better IMO. Or a S&W .38 snubbie, that's what my wife has.

Bilbo Bagins
05-11-2011, 14:29

Its interesting. I don't have sound, do they mention if its made out of plastic or aluminum?

There is a problem with weapons like that, you can hurt or even break your fingers. That is why I'm not a big fan brass knuckles, or push knives. They look cool, but if they are not properly made/designed, they will hurt you. Take this kitty weapon to a heavy bag, or a large watermelon and try hitting with it, if your hand is not in pain and not dropping the kitty after the first punch, then I guess its OK.

I really like that it has a built in flashlight. I even carry a light on my keychain, and its something useful for a young lady to have. It may be a good option for a teenage girl. Someone under 18 can get into real trouble carrying a knife, or pepper spray, especially in school.

HK Dan
05-11-2011, 16:55
I got a DPMS AR-10 for my wife. Best trade I've ever made...

Amato888
05-11-2011, 21:36
To use that thing you would have to be in close contact. I agree with pilsbury. Having some distance from an attacker is always better. IMO

Bucky89
05-12-2011, 23:57
Along with all the problems already mentioned, it looks like a great way to scape/ding every door you need a key to open.

LilWolfess
05-13-2011, 20:56
Using a "weapon" like that requires being within arm's reach or even contact with the attacker.

THAT IS TOO CLOSE!

She might still want it in the same way that I always carry a sturdy knife, but I wouldn't use it as a primary weapon. If she doesn't disable her attacker or frighten him or her off with the first blow (pretty unlikely), there's a good chance that she'll just get it taken away and used against her.

ubimow
05-14-2011, 01:15

Unless she wants it because it's cute and has a little flashlight on it, I say forget it. In my opinion, this is NOT a weapon. Unless she has really good aim and manages to poke her attackers eye out on the first strike with one of those pointy ears, I would say it's pretty useless for defense.

1200feather
05-14-2011, 14:52
I'll agree with what's already been said, that's not a weapon. Is she comfortable carrying something more capable of subduing a person?

Kansas Slim
05-14-2011, 16:25
Yes, that may not be ideal, but you can carry things like that in some "secured" areas. I would rather my girl have something like those or a kuboton than nothing at all.

Mrs.Cicero
05-14-2011, 16:42
I suppose if the attacker doesn't take it with him when he leaves, the cops might possibly get some DNA from it. It might even be the murderer's, instead of the wife's, but I wouldn't count on it. :upeyes:

If you don't have the mindset to use a gun to stop an attacker, you aren't going to have the mindset to stop one with anything requiring physical aggression on your part either.

I spent the afternoon shoveling 25 cubic yards of mulch with a gun on my hip and a knife behind it, because this neighborhood has gotten so bad I feel naked without both. I'm lacking patience this evening. Apologies for bluntness, but not for truth.

Mrs.Cicero

1200feather
05-14-2011, 18:00
She makes a good point. It's as much about the mindset as it is about the weapon itself. The first time I picked up a firearm I was shaking. I couldn't have defending myself in any way shape or form with a gun at that point. Not only was I a terrible shot (despite hubby's attempts to make me feel better), I was confident enough to use one. Have you thought about having her take some classes?

sawgrass
05-14-2011, 20:12
When I first saw this thread I decided to mind my own business. Then after reading and thinking about something that happened out of the blue yesterday and I was not carrying I decided to respond.

There is a book called 'The Gift of Fear' by Gavin de Becker. It's a good read for most of us especially women.

1200feather
05-17-2011, 10:04
When I first saw this thread I decided to mind my own business. Then after reading and thinking about something that happened out of the blue yesterday and I was not carrying I decided to respond.

There is a book called 'The Gift of Fear' by Gavin de Becker. It's a good read for most of us especially women. I'll have to check that out. Thanks again for your help, hope the fishing goes well!

wjv
07-18-2011, 15:13
Wild Kat Keychain is the original

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/Wild-Kat-Keychains-p-16464.html

MrsKitty
07-19-2011, 14:54
I had one of those, but not in the styles listed. I carried it often because there are places I went that I could not carry a weapon of any kind. I cannot tell you how many times I went through courthouse security and once, airport security, with it and not a thing was said. Mine was some kind of indestructible plastic material that was very lightweight without being a solid body. It really looked like nothing more than the outline of a cat's face without the whiskers. At the time, I had it out where several cops saw it and not one of them recognized it as a weapon. After they learned what it was when one asked me where I got it (his wife collected cat keychains...) and I explained it was a weapon, several of them bought them for the women in their lives. :supergrin:

It may still be at my parents house, two states away or I would post a pic of it. If it is not there, I gave it to a friend who was in a bind one night. I can't remember if she gave it back or not...

I'd much rather use my gun or my knife, or even pepper spray, but when I can't have those on me for various reasons, the keychain gives me a last resort.