PDA

View Full Version : What power scope would you recommend

lightsareout
05-11-2011, 13:57
for 600 yard shots?

At least 16x?

RayB
05-11-2011, 14:19
This is not at all my thing--but I'm interested! And I do know optics! :supergrin:

I'm guessing one would want a variable power zoom-scope for this kind of shooting, yes? And as much objective lens aperture as is practical, right? :eyebrow:

And long eye relief for eyeglass wearers. :cool:

I suppose a bipod is a foregone conclusion... :dunno:

--Ray

lightsareout
05-11-2011, 14:52
This is not at all my thing--but I'm interested! And I do know optics! :supergrin:

I'm guessing one would want a variable power zoom-scope for this kind of shooting, yes? And as much objective lens aperture as is practical, right? :eyebrow:

And long eye relief for eyeglass wearers. :cool:

I suppose a bipod is a foregone conclusion... :dunno:

--Ray

I would say those are all accurate assumptions.

I'm thinking 2.5-16x would be sufficient

gator378
05-11-2011, 15:39
for 600 yard shots?

At least 16x?

+ 1 Maybe a little higher upto 20. I switched to 6-18x scopes for the 2506 and 300 Weatherby. Made a big difference when doing the long range shooting.

Clint-M
05-11-2011, 15:46
Lowest power you can make the shot with is how I was always taught. Depending on shooter and weapon system, I'd say get a variable power scope and take the time to learn what you're doing.

CM

RayB
05-11-2011, 16:06
I'm thinking 2.5-16x would be sufficient

Well, if the extreme range will be 600 yards (600 X 3 = 1800/16 = 112.50), the target will appear to be 112-1/2 feet away at 16X. A top magnification of 20X would put the target at an apparent 90 feet.

10X is at the upper limit of handholdable--I know this from binoculars.

The mount is as important as the optics--I know this from telescopes.

Optical Formulary...

MAGNIFICATION = Scope Focal Length/Eyepiece Focal Length
(On a Zoom Scope the Eyepiece Focal Length is Variable…)

FOCAL RATIO = Scope Focal Length/Scope Aperture
(Low/Fast F-Ratios = Low Mags, Wide Fields & Bright Images… Big/Slow F-Ratios = High Mags, High Contrast, Dimmer Images… Zoom Optics have Variable F-Ratios)

EXIT PUPIL = Primary Aperture/Eyepiece Magnification
(Not to Exceed 7 mm, the Upper Limit that Human Eyes Dilate. It’s More Like 5 mm for Adults Over 40)

EYE RELIEF Is Not Readily Calculable. It is a Function of Eyepiece Design.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS...

Things like light transmission and antireflective coatings, internal light baffling, ultra high quality glass, and lens designs are BIG DEALS in producing quality, contrasty images! While cheap refracting telescopes are common, quality refracting telescopes are the most expensive, with regard to size, that you can buy. And rifle scopes are typically refracting telescopes.

A large objective lens aperture, up to what your budget allows and what is practical to carry, is always desirable. Size matters and bigger is better!

In the field, weather proofing and a quality mount are a must, as are quality adjustment controls!

Long eye relief is a must for eyeglass wearers!

Smartly designed details--i.e., flip lens covers and adjustment controls that work with gloved hands--are always appreciated!

--Ray

tkosiba
05-12-2011, 05:01
I've read the Marines snipers trained with a fixed 12x. And I heard that over 15x makes it extremely difficult on any movement. My favorite ended up with a illuminated Nightforce compact 2x10. Very nice. Another long range option is a 4x14 Leupold.

faawrenchbndr
05-12-2011, 05:33
I have a Leupold 3.5-10 that works very well out to 500m. I have no reason to think it would not be fine to 600m

bobelk99
05-23-2011, 18:09
Depends, but 10x is common max for accuracy unless you are using a fixed bench setup.

What are you shooting at 600? Big steel is one thing, and prairie dogs are another.

I have seen guys shoot 10" targets at 1,000 with less than 14x, but that surely is not common.

RedHaze
05-24-2011, 20:53
Working on the cheap. My plan for my budget long range platform is the bushnell trophy xlt 4-12 with the doa 600 reticle.

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/stores/sport-goods/B0034L3E78-1.jpg

If I weren't on the budget I am, I'd have the good people at Leupold craft some custom turrets for one of their Mark 4 Long Range Tactical scopes in 4.5-14 after I got a good load worked up for the rifle.

Powermwt
05-24-2011, 22:02
600 yard shot at what?

I have .30 cal. rifles with 3x9, 3.5x10, 4x12 and 6x18... 40mm to 65.

The nice thing about a variable power scope is you don't need to put it on 18... when 10 will do.

Price is usually a factor. You can pay more for a scope than you did the rifle.

I like the Leupold in 3.5x10 with 40mm for hunting... but even a standing target I have only shot out to 450 yards.

The Bushnell was bought for a good price and 4x12 gives you enough power.

I have an ATN Professional in 6x18-65 I bought over a decade ago and like it, but it is large and needed a special mount for my rifle. 18 power is awesome if you have the equipment and skill to use it.