Boring AR15 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Boring AR15

STI
05-11-2011, 14:43
I bought a Rock River, it shoots under 1 moa as stated, gobbels up any ammo fed, no problems at all with it. 1500 rounds sofar.

M&P15T
05-11-2011, 16:05
I bought a Rock River, it shoots under 1 moa as stated, gobbels up any ammo fed, no problems at all with it. 1500 rounds sofar.

"One Adam 12, One Adam 12. We have a properly operating non-chart worthy AR. Please respond with derisive comments about it not being mil-spec or trusty enough to depend on in an HD/SD situation.":rofl:

boomhower
05-11-2011, 16:06
That's damned good accuracy for an AR, what model is it?

STI
05-11-2011, 17:35
Operator2, I put my 36x benchrest scope on it to try it out and it shoots great, under 1 moa 5 shot groups, shot 3 before I took the 36x off it. I could not be more pleased, 1500+ rounds later without any problems. This AR is used daily on our ranch, it goes out 7 days a week. I mounted an EOTech and thats all, nothing else. I don't want a rifle looking like a Christmas tree with everything hanging on it. This is a using rifle. I use 20 round mags due to size in the truck. Great rifle I would tell anyone to get one.

Ruggles
05-11-2011, 18:01
"One Adam 12, One Adam 12. We have a properly operating non-chart worthy AR. Please respond with derisive comments about it not being mil-spec or trusty enough to depend on in an HD/SD situation.":rofl:

:rofl:

gunsnhoses
05-11-2011, 20:34
I have had the same experience. I've put a couple thousand rounds through my RRA entry tactical with zero malfunctions. It is so accurate that I have nicknamed it "The Laser". I have other AR's but I will never part with it.

ArmaGlock
05-11-2011, 20:47

Damn, you're like a broken record. Did the chart hurt your feelings?

mvician
05-11-2011, 20:56

:rofl:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/imagesqtbnANd9GcQ_RaWS6KNA8DxBjUiB8jz-t-yLqMTn9RXbHphq_PYPTPsTIhLct1.jpg

Captains1911
05-11-2011, 20:56

I was thinking the same thing. The only problem with the chart is that people fail to recognize that not everybody needs all the features included, and all too often don't even understand what the features really mean.

For the OP's intended purpose, a RRA will most likely serve him just fine.

Sharkey
05-11-2011, 21:25
Just lightened my wallet and bought one today. Sadly I won't see it for 6 weeks.
I kept doing the research and the negative that kept popping up was:

"Well it's not a BCM, DD,or even a Spikes." :supergrin:

I'm gonna cheap out and put a Vortex micro dot on it. With such a lousy set up, I doubt I'll even be able to hit a coyote at 20 yards. If I only had another grand to get a tier one AR.

Facejackets
05-11-2011, 23:35
No one ever said every RRA is bad.

Also, you can get an AR thats on "the chart" for under a grand with irons only.

LMT upper complete with BCG, CH, BUIS from ****** -$500 shipped
LMT Defener 2000 lower -$350
FFL transfer -$25
NICS (NV price) - $25
Pinning the FH - $50
Flash Hider - $25

Total price - $925

So....tell me how much you have to pay for a high quality AR?

I'm not trying to rip on anyone for what they like, but don't comment on things you don't know about. I'm no expert, but I know quality when I see it/feel it. There IS a difference between top tier, mid tier and bottom tier AR's (or all firearms).If your RRA was $600 OTD, then its not a bad deal. But new mid-tier AR's cost as much as top tier ARs do most of the time, but have half the features and build quality.

BlackPaladin
05-11-2011, 23:56
Just lightened my wallet and bought one today. Sadly I won't see it for 6 weeks.
I kept doing the research and the negative that kept popping up was:

"Well it's not a BCM, DD,or even a Spikes." :supergrin:

I'm gonna cheap out and put a Vortex micro dot on it. With such a lousy set up, I doubt I'll even be able to hit a coyote at 20 yards. If I only had another grand to get a tier one AR.

:rofl: Quote of the day.

Sharkey, I wouldn't feed that one with more than snap caps. I would actually enjoy a picture of the printed chart, shot full of holes with this rifle.

glock031
05-12-2011, 01:57
I wonder why the chart was removed. Everone knows he is suppose to be working on a new one. Time will tell.

M&P15T
05-12-2011, 06:25

It's not the chart, it's responders here. The Chart is actually an excellent source of info.

I have seen dozens of replies in this forum where posters tell new mid-tier owners that they shouldn't use anything other than Colt, BCM, DD, etc. for home-defense/self-defense, or to "trust their life to," which is silly unless you're walking point on Sawtalo Sar in the Korengal.

I was thinking the same thing. The only problem with the chart is that people fail to recognize that not everybody needs all the features included, and all too often don't even understand what the features really mean.

For the OP's intended purpose, a RRA will most likely serve him just fine.

Theeeeeere ya go, now you're getting it.:supergrin:

See above. It happens, all the time here.

Captains1911
05-12-2011, 06:41

I never not got it. My main argument has always been that for the same price or just a little more, a better AR can be had. I never claimed that everybody needs that better AR, just that why would you buy a lesser quality product when you could have bought better for the same amount?

STI
05-12-2011, 07:12
Well I could not be more pleased and would bet mine gets used more than most, I would buy the same again.

Sharkey
05-12-2011, 07:12

I'm not trying to rip on anyone for what they like, but don't comment on things you don't know about. I'm no expert, but I know quality when I see it/feel it. There IS a difference between top tier, mid tier and bottom tier AR's (or all firearms).If your RRA was $600 OTD, then its not a bad deal. But new mid-tier AR's cost as much as top tier ARs do most of the time, but have half the features and build quality.

See this is where my confusion sets in.
It's ok, you can rip someone on a purchase, this a internet forum after all.

"RRA is not bad but it is not a tier 1". It seems from folks responses that if it ain't a tier 1 than it ain't no good. I'll stand by my prior post of the comments I kept reading about the RRA. I was also thinking, that since the DEA makes multiple warrant entries a day, it has to be somewhat decent.

First you tell me not to comment on things I don't know about and then you say you're no expert? I checked out a lot of stuff on AR15.com and the prices for how I wanted my rifle outfitted were $1500 + so I went with the RRA. I didn't check the chart so maybe that is where I went wrong?

STI
05-12-2011, 07:15
And the story goes on!!

M&P15T
05-12-2011, 07:37
I never not got it. My main argument has always been that for the same price or just a little more, a better AR can be had. I never claimed that everybody needs that better AR, just that why would you buy a lesser quality product when you could have bought better for the same amount?

I was addressing different observation of yours, ones that had nothing to do with value for the dollar. I was supporting your observation that the RRA AR the OP bought will meet his needs, and that not everyone needs certain features....that's all.

When people come here looking for observations and opinions before they make a purchase decision, I would be the first to reccomend a BCM or spikes based on their value for the dollar. However, when someone comes on here that has already made their purchase, it's just rude to go slamming their purchase because it's not what others would have bought.

Gunnut 45/454
05-12-2011, 08:13
M&P15T
Agree - there are many folks that put there lives on the line with non teir #1 AR's daily!
And there's been many BG's permently planted with non teir #1 rifles! I have a DPMS uppered AR that I wouldn't hesitate to use save my bacon in any situation! If I'm going to war then I wouldn't want a AR anyway- I'd get a COLT M16/M4! Not a Noverski, DD, Spikes. LMT! That's TEIR #1 all others are players!:supergrin:

ArmaGlock
05-12-2011, 09:20
It's not the chart, it's responders here. The Chart is actually an excellent source of info.

I have seen dozens of replies in this forum where posters tell new mid-tier owners that they shouldn't use anything other than Colt, BCM, DD, etc. for home-defense/self-defense, or to "trust their life to," which is silly unless you're walking point on Sawtalo Sar in the Korengal.

See above. It happens, all the time here.

I understand where you're coming from and I know the type of people you are talking about. Unfortunately I deal with it every time I go in a certain gun store. They carry all the good stuff, Larue, BCM, Magpul, etc. without marking their prices up. But they have a lot of KNOWITALL mall ninjas working there, yet so many customers worship the ground they walk on. They have a few somewhat knowledgeable guys with come military experience. I just purchase and get out.

I myself have been carrying an Armalite as a patrol rifle for a few years now and can't make it malfunction without dummy rounds. I'm currently waiting on a Tax Stamp for a BCM 11.5, but didn't even look at the damn chart. I went with reputation and good prices.

That was like the third post like that I read of yours and I couldn't resist messing with you! :tongueout:

SigFTW
05-12-2011, 13:27
Here is a good write up from Bravo Company USA about the over used term "Mil Spec"
http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Mil-Spec-t557.html&mode=threaded

Here is another good write up from RRA.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=2&f=38&t=191970

pag23
05-12-2011, 13:52
Time to "Magpulize" it with some accessories.... glad you are happy with it.

M&P15T
05-12-2011, 14:50
M&P15T
Agree - there are many folks that put there lives on the line with non teir #1 AR's daily!
And there's been many BG's permently planted with non teir #1 rifles! I have a DPMS uppered AR that I wouldn't hesitate to use save my bacon in any situation! If I'm going to war then I wouldn't want a AR anyway- I'd get a COLT M16/M4! Not a Noverski, DD, Spikes. LMT! That's TEIR #1 all others are players!:supergrin:

My "mere" S&W M&p15T has never had a malfunction, I would trust it with the lives of those around me and mine. Tier 1? Nope.

I understand where you're coming from and I know the type of people you are talking about. Unfortunately I deal with it every time I go in a certain gun store. They carry all the good stuff, Larue, BCM, Magpul, etc. without marking their prices up. But they have a lot of KNOWITALL mall ninjas working there, yet so many customers worship the ground they walk on. They have a few somewhat knowledgeable guys with come military experience. I just purchase and get out.

I myself have been carrying an Armalite as a patrol rifle for a few years now and can't make it malfunction without dummy rounds. I'm currently waiting on a Tax Stamp for a BCM 11.5, but didn't even look at the damn chart. I went with reputation and good prices.

That was like the third post like that I read of yours and I couldn't resist messing with you! :tongueout:

Only the 2nd, but mess all you want, it's all good!

I need to start my own fan club of non-tier 1 owning AR guys and gals.
By the by, BCM is on the short list for my next AR. Great stuff at a good value.

chris in va
05-12-2011, 18:27
I can't wait for the comments I'll get when it's time to buy my M&P 15 Sport.

Foxtrotx1
05-12-2011, 21:03
My DMPS/firebird frankenstine is a beast. I don't even bother letting her cool down to save on barrel wear. 200 rounds of steel case in 30-40 minutes and shes flawless and smoking. over 5k rounds and counting.

Daekwan
05-13-2011, 07:32
I dont think anyone would say RRA is "bad". After all government agencies use them and they are extremely popular in gunshops & magazines, so its definitely "good enough". That said there are still much better options for just a few dollars more.

When I purchase a firearm, its pretty much for life. I've never sold off a gun. I'm pretty specific about what I want, the quality, the features and who I want it made by. For something I'm investing that much time/money/effort in.. why sell myself short and get just "good enough". I paid $1200 for my Colt.. and $1160 for my custom DD. I easily could have purchased a $900 RRA rifle instead of those choices.. but a few years from now would I really care that I saved $200-300 bucks. What about 10 years from now? What about after I put 5000 rounds thru it? What about if something breaks on it? What if I had to sell it?

Time will ultimately tell how satisfied you are with a firearm, not just how well the first 1500 rounds went by.