Guiding Rod Lasers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Guiding Rod Lasers

VinnyBoomba
05-12-2011, 07:32
Hello all,

I've done some online homework, and I've discovered that its not easy to carry concealed with extra "clip ons" taking up space. I was going to go with a grip laser, but then I came across these. I feel a little bit uneasy with replacing the guiding rod with something that in theory... would be less structurally solid. I assume this because some of it is being replaces with electronics.

Anyway, I wonder other peoples opinions. These seem to be the best option to keep that "stock look" but still having the ability to get a quicker aim. I'm curious to hear people's opinions on difficulty of installation, and reliability and brightness.

For reference... this is the kind of thing I'm referring to. >> http://www.amazon.com/LaserMax-Guide-Laser-Sight-Glock/dp/B001MXO6UO

barstoolguru
05-12-2011, 08:17
I too did look at them and they seem to be fine. the rod guide is only a spring support so it's fine. what I had a hard time with was the price of $250.00+. that is an expensive laser and it is not pressure activated, you have to turn it on manually. crimson trace laser are pressure activated so you are ready right out of the holster

I just looked one e-bay and there is one one therefor 249.00 + shipping...... one other thing is the take a special battery and they are not cheap

RayB
05-12-2011, 13:51
Hello all,

1) I've done some online homework, and I've discovered that its not easy to carry concealed with extra "clip ons" taking up space. I was going to go with a grip laser, but then I came across these.

2) I feel a little bit uneasy with replacing the guiding rod with something that in theory... would be less structurally solid. I assume this because some of it is being replaces with electronics.

3) Anyway, I wonder other peoples opinions. These seem to be the best option to keep that "stock look" but still having the ability to get a quicker aim. I'm curious to hear people's opinions on difficulty of installation, and reliability and brightness.

4) For reference... this is the kind of thing I'm referring to. >> http://www.amazon.com/LaserMax-Guide-Laser-Sight-Glock/dp/B001MXO6UO

1) Yes, holster availability and compatibility can be issues, as well as "imprinting" through clothes.

I don't like the grip laser's effect on the Glock's ergonomics. I think they're fine on revolvers and 1911's, though; and Crimson Trace is a class act.

2) The OEM guide rod/recoil spring assemby is hardly an impressive piece of hardware, IMO. But you know, I've never had one fail…

Likewise, our two LaserMax guide rod lasers have thousands of rounds on them, and have never failed either. They've proved to be accurate, durable, and reliable, in both our G19 and G21.

Conversely, others have reported problems...

The LaserMax OEM is excellent in the customer service department.

3) We like ours! And I do think they're the optimal choice for Glocks!

Battery life is outstanding, and the laser is plenty bright for indoor use, and use outdoors in low light.

Installation, while not difficult, is not for a person with zero mechanical savvy and ten thumbs! But it's a one-time deal, and the OEM will walk you through it if you need them to. Just pay attention to small details, and install the three components with care, exactly as the instructions indicate. After that, you can pop in the OEM guide rod any time!

Instant-on is a great feature in a CCW or BUG, there's no arguing that. But activating the LaserMax is no worse than flipping off a safety, or turning on a weapon light. You should burn these things into your brain & muscle memories through practice.

Proper use of lasers and weapon lights takes training and practice.

In a bedside weapon, I prefer deliberate activation over instant-on. But that's me.

4) Yeah, that's it. Note too, the Crimson Trace trigger guard laser. The latter is a slick little gizmo from an excellent OEM, but it does cover the accessory rail, and precludes the use of a weapon light.

Good luck! Pray you never need any of this stuff! :wavey:

--Ray

P.S. I do recommend the OEM battery packs, as they're bundled with shrink-wrap to ease installation and ensure a solid connection.

P.P.S. Replacement recoil springs are color-coded and readily available from the OEM. Replacing them is simple, but can be tricky if you have little mechanical experience!

RYT 2BER
05-12-2011, 13:57
There are many threads on this subject and you will find (like all things) there are people who like this product and those who dont.

Personally for the record since you're asking, I had one once and I did not care for it. I much prefer the CrimsonTrace products and specifically the "laserguard" model (not the grip mount).

I like the "instinctive" activation feature and I like some, am not a fan of the changes in internals. Also many people (including myself) have reported issues where when firing the gun, the laser of the lasermax model would sometimes come on when not wanted or shut off when not wanted, as the switch can move upon firing.

Ive listed some bad things here (and I dislike it enough that I wouldnt have a laser if this was the only one), however many people will say they have had flawless function with them.

(note: conceptually I always thought the idea was really good.. I just dont like the real-world execution.)

Beyond that, I am always amazed at all of these laser products.. they often cost hundreds of dollars and all of them feel like cheap toys (light quality plastics and such).

I would love to see someone come out with a compact laser that was made out of more resilient materials... JMO

Agent Tikki
05-12-2011, 14:04
Had Lasermaxes for my Glocks, full size glock (17/22/31) and my sub compact (26/27/33).

Install was easy.

Quality is awesome, was better than the plastic rod that came from the factory.

Customer Service is awesome. They replace parts for free. I had unintended activation issues, and they sent me a new slide stop lever and spring FREE. Had it in 3 days too! I've personally found that when double tapping or rapid fire drills, recoil would make the laser turn off or on then off and on very erratic. The laser flashes which at first I didn't like but when practicing with it made it easier to see especially at longer distances. In the end, I decided a simple light and nightsights was a better solution for me so I sold them.

WHEC724
05-12-2011, 14:10
I've always wanted one (one for each Glock), its design really appeals to me - and it's not like I can't afford it, but it just gives me gas to pay that much for something just to help me aim.

Given the odds of actually needing it, and remembering to actually turn it on during high stress, I decided to focus on my shooting skills instead.

Or you can just say that I'm jealous... :supergrin:

RYT 2BER
05-12-2011, 14:12
Had Lasermaxes for my Glocks, full size glock (17/22/31) and my sub compact (26/27/33).

Install was easy.

Quality is awesome, was better than the plastic rod that came from the factory.

Customer Service is awesome. They replace parts for free. I had unintended activation issues, and they sent me a new slide stop lever and spring FREE. Had it in 3 days too! I've personally found that when double tapping or rapid fire drills, recoil would make the laser turn off or on then off and on very erratic. The laser flashes which at first I didn't like but when practicing with it made it easier to see especially at longer distances. In the end, I decided a simple light and nightsights was a better solution for me so I sold them.

Much like I said above...

I will admit though... I find posts like this a bit confusing... The post starts by saying "quality is awesome" and is then followed up with details of unintended activiations and that a nightlight and nightsights were better.... :whistling:

Yeah.. quality sounds fantastic... :upeyes:

Agent Tikki
05-12-2011, 14:26
Much like I said above...

I will admit though... I find posts like this a bit confusing... The post starts by saying "quality is awesome" and is then followed up with details of unintended activiations and that a nightlight and nightsights were better.... :whistling:

Yeah.. quality sounds fantastic... :upeyes:

I was addressing the OP's concerns with the build quality of the product. Compared to the factory guide rod, which is flexible. The LM unit is rock solid.

I bought mine used. Upon closer inspection, the activation switch seemed a little worn. LM replaced the slide stop lever (Activation switch) and spring for free and fast. Ended most of the issues. During rapid fire, the activation switch work move. I just it could be a design issue, or just me as my forward thumb is touching the switch, and during rapid fire, my hands move a bit.

Hope that cleared it up for ya.

RayB
05-12-2011, 14:34
1) ...Also many people (including myself) have reported issues where when firing the gun, the laser of the lasermax model would sometimes come on when not wanted or shut off when not wanted, as the switch can move upon firing.

2) ...however many people will say they have had flawless function with them.

3) Beyond that, I am always amazed at all of these laser products.. they often cost hundreds of dollars and all of them feel like cheap toys (light quality plastics and such).

4) I would love to see someone come out with a compact laser that was made out of more resilient materials...
JMO

1) Yeah, the LaserMax in my G21 does turn itself on occasionally, in particular when firing the hot Double Tap loads. It never fails to activate when I want it to, however--that would be totally unacceptable!

2) The first LaserMax unit purchased for my wife's G19 was hinky right out of the box, and I exchanged it immediately with MidwayUSA (great company!). The replacement has proved to be flawless.

By the bye, we rigorously live-fire, field test everything before signing off on it! I am not easily impressed!

3) Get used to it! Did your Glock's frame impress you much the first time you handled it? When the sales guy handed me the slide, and then the frame--I almost freaked! But the fact is, my G17 has some 15,000-rounds on it and hasn't so much as hiccupped once! Our G19 and G21 have proved to be excellent as well.

4) When you're talking resiliency, some of the new plastics are tough to beat! LaserMax has done demos where they’ve driven trucks over their Uni-Max lasers… Also, the weight factor would be a big deal to many people.

Note that the LaserMax guide rod shaft is made of steel, while the OEM's is all plastic. Still, I've never had an OEM guide rod fail...

--Ray

racer88
05-14-2011, 10:45
I had unintended activation issues, and they sent me a new slide stop lever and spring FREE. Had it in 3 days too! I've personally found that when double tapping or rapid fire drills, recoil would make the laser turn off or on then off and on very erratic.

Hmmm... I'm having the same problem. It turns on by itself while firing the pistol (G19). I got a new spring and switch (bought them on my own), and tested the new parts yesterday. And, dammit... with the BRAND NEW spring and switch, I still have the same problem.

RYT 2BER
05-14-2011, 11:53
Hmmm... I'm having the same problem. It turns on by itself while firing the pistol (G19). I got a new spring and switch (bought them on my own), and tested the new parts yesterday. And, dammit... with the BRAND NEW spring and switch, I still have the same problem.

Hate to say it but its just a flat out design flaw.. that's why I abandoned the product.

I recommend crimson trace for flaless function.

RayB
05-15-2011, 22:16
Hate to say it but its just a flat out design flaw.. that's why I abandoned the product.

I recommend crimson trace for flaless function.

Except the CT Grips screw up the gun's ergonomics, in the case of the Glock...

And the CT trigger guard model gobbles up the rail, so no weapon light for you...

Plus, I have seen refurbished CT Grips from time to time at MidwayUSA, so they have their problems too...

I'm just saying that clearly the technology has a ways to go before we can call it perfected!

And I like to see companies competeóthatís good for us consumers!

My Perfect Pistol Laser Would:

- Offer absolute reliability!

- Not interfere with my gun's ergonomics!

- Weigh next to nothing!

- Be extremely compact!

- Activate easily and instinctively with an index finger!

- Activate instantly for concealed carry!

- Allow for use of my choice of weapon lights!

- Accommodate a wide choice of holsters!

- Switch from red (nighttime) to green (daylight) selectively or automatically!

- Clearly indicate when the battery is low (say by alternating red & green!)

- Have a long battery life!

- Be rechargeable!

- Come with a recharging dock!

- Come with a ten year--or lifetime--warranty!

- Cost under $300.00!

--Ray