Concealed carry under light clothing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry under light clothing

PlayboyPenguin
05-12-2011, 11:33
Now that the weather is warm we are having to carry our firearms under less and less clothing. That is not a problem for most of us since we are comfortable enough with the idea that most people pay us no attention and that just being covered is usually 90% of being concealed.

New carriers do not have the benefit of that mindset though. So many people dress inappropriately just to conceal their gun. They wear oversized clothes, load patterns, etc just to try and hide their firearm. In short, they dress like hobos, slobs, and clowns just to carry.

People post pics all the time to show how easily their gun conceals, but it is easy to conceal something in a still pic. There is no movement to expose the gun.

That is why I made this short video to show how well my carry gun conceals under even the lightest shirt. I move, bend, reach, etc and the gun stays hidden and is not obvious at all.

Check it out if interested.

YouTube - Carrying a concealed firearm under light clothing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90pOpXFlYeo)

Azsnake
05-12-2011, 12:19
Good video and you make a great point. I just started carrying a few weeks ago. I was worried about printing!! I found myself looking in the mirror, asking family members if they could tell it was a gun, wearing baggy shirts etc. I am just now beginning to feel comfortable about having it on me with no one noticing. People really aren't looking at you. Thank you for the video and suggestions!

Toorop
05-12-2011, 12:20
So I should be aware of hobos and clowns because they are carrying guns?

Warp
05-12-2011, 13:05

Yes .

Jud325
05-12-2011, 13:16
OC would have prevented this thread. :tongueout:

Warp
05-12-2011, 13:20
OC would have prevented this thread. :tongueout:

Why yes, yes it would! :supergrin:

fuzzy03cls
05-12-2011, 13:34
Carry a bigger gun & you'll understand. Also I notice your video has you wearing a stripped shirt. Change to a sold color like white, red, or lighter blues & again you'll understand.
Just cause it works for you doesn't mean it works for eveyone, & if I look like a hobo, slob, or clown with my over-sized shirt & looser fitting jeans. Then so be it.

G19aps
05-12-2011, 13:43
Yep, it's kinda easy to hide a small revolver. I couldn't get away with that dress and a G17 unless I unbuttoned the shirt.

sciolist
05-12-2011, 13:55
You look quite a bit different than I had imagined.

righteoushoot
05-12-2011, 14:08
Is that a Wonder Woman dolly on the counter I see?:supergrin:

RightGlock1
05-12-2011, 14:15
I don't get "made" carrying. I usually am wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I tend to wear darker colors, (not black). I've had no problems concealing. And you are right, most
are oblivious. I spotted someone at dinner the other night, dressed similarly to you, trying to conceal a full size glock. The imprint was really obvious. Shirt was entirely too tight. I understand wanting to wear fitted, it's not smart depending on the firearm you're trying to conceal.

BamaAla
05-12-2011, 14:15
I used to worry tremendously about it, but I don't really give it a second though now-a-days. Most people are so impervious to their surroundings they wouldn't notice if you walked around with a phallus shaped hat on your head.

dogchild
05-12-2011, 14:28
People dont think about the people around them having a gun, they dont look for them, i didnt until i started conceal carry.
Now i look at everyone and from time to time I'll see a clip or a printing that i think might be a gun, however in Texas it has to be obvious from a casual glance

Patchman
05-12-2011, 15:13

Hobos and homeless people are often armed. Not necessarily with a handgun, but usually knives. If you think about it, how filthy is that knife blade? Hello tetanus, infections and lockjaw.

The only clown I like is Ronald McDonald. (Yes he is a clown. He just doesn't practice his craft anymore). :)

Providence
05-12-2011, 15:21
Thanks for the video. I like to see other perspectives.

Arc Angel
05-12-2011, 15:46
:) Thank you for being courteous and civic-minded enough to keep your EDC covered. I admire that!

This said, I couldn't do what you do. Most of the time I wear a large G-21. There is no way, I could conceal it as easily as you do. I need to use a strong (leather) gunbelt, an ITB holster, and some sort of oversized and unbloused cover garment in order to keep my piece concealed. (It's much easier on Mom and the kids.) ;)

A lot of, 'staying covered' has to do with how you move while wearing a gun: Don't reach for things with your gun arm; don't bend from the waist; and don't bend your support side knee. I, also, have a policeman's habit of, 'blading' or, 'three quartering' an audience.

Don't sit at lunchcounters; don't sit on the opposite end of a row; and be careful whenever you're in line waiting for something. I was once accosted at a WalMart by two women who were standing behind me at the checkout line. They, somehow, realized that my Aloha shirt was the real thing; and without a word of warning began to pull, pinch, and feel my cover garment!

As I accepted their compliments and answered their questions I remember thinking to myself, 'Yeah, keep pulling on my shirt, lady; and wait until you see what it's hiding!' (They stopped before things went too far.) So, it's not just what you wear; it's how you wear it; and how you've taught yourself to habitually move.

By the way I, 'made you' almost instantly in that video! (But I already knew what to expect.) :cool:

biblefreak
05-12-2011, 16:39
So, anybody know what kind of a holster that is? Looks like the perfect little SP101 holster!

PlayboyPenguin
05-12-2011, 16:43
So, anybody know what kind of a holster that is? Looks like the perfect little SP101 holster!
The holster in the video actually is for a Ruger SP101.

PlayboyPenguin
05-12-2011, 16:45
You look quite a bit different than I had imagined.

Let me guess...you didn't count on me being so damned handsome. I get that a lot. :) :whistling:

rdc2co
05-12-2011, 20:02
I've been cc for about 16 years now. Here's the problem I see with these conversations;
We all come from different backgrounds and lifestyles. Some people get away with a photographer's vest. You wouldn't catch me dead in one because it's not my personality. Some people like leather vests and 'biker clothing'- that would never work for me, because it's not my personality type, not the crowd I hang out with, or the environment I hang out in. Some people like an untucked plaid shirt, like Playboy wears. Not my type. My point is that each person is unique.
During the winter, I most often wear a Navy flight jacket, or a North Face polar fleece, and occasionally a sweatshirt. During the warmer months, like now, I wear polo shirt and a sport coat ('blazer') or a button-down dress shirt and a sport coat. When temps get over 80 degrees, the sport coat must go away. Many people reading this comment would say that they wouldn't be caught dead in these outfits.

I bought several Crossbreed Super Tuck and Kholsters. (For those who don't know what Crossbreed and Kholsters are, they are tuckable IWB holsters. This means that you can tuck pretty much any shirt between the gun and pants, with only the metal clips showing. Unless someone REALLY knows what to look for, they won't know that you have a gun. Some of us just can't wear ANYTHING untucked). I bought some Aloha shirts ('Hawaiian shirts') at Wal-Mart for about $10.00 each, that are not bright/loud/obnoxious. They are khaki tan, slate blue, muted green, black...and those are the only thing I can wear untucked, as long as I wear my Crossbreed or Kholster with the leather to protect my ribs from 'slide bite'.

The nice thing about the Crossbreed/Kholster type thing is that the leather backing will protect your ribs and it can be worn tucked or untucked, with any type of clothing, any environment, any crowd, etc. The guy with the business suit can wear it just as easily as Larry the Cable Guy, and just as easily as any biker, etc. With IWB, you almost always need to buy pants one size larger than you normally wear. That's just a fact. IWB also means that not only the belt, but the pants, too, will help support the weight of the gun and accessories.

The other great idea is Thunderwear/Smart Carry. I have a hard time with the velcro straps biting my skin in the back. I went to Goodwill and Salvation Army and bought some girls' jeans, cut off the legs, and slip it over the straps once I have them secured. Sleeves from an old heavy cotton shirt also work for this. For people with large bellies, Thunderwear/Smart Carry is difficult to present the gun from, never mind when sitting down. The upside is that, unless your are in a nudist colony, it has its merits. Once again, make sure you buy pants (or skirt) at least one size larger than normal. If you buy your trial clothes from Goodwill/Salvation Army and don't like them, you're only out a couple of bucks (as opposed to Sax/Nordstrom/Macy's).

Waist packs are great. I still see them all over the place in Colorado, and in Florida. There are some places where this would be totally unacceptable. A dress shirt and pants won't work with a waist pack. For those sticking up your nose at waist packs, yes, they are coming back into style. Go to your local camera store and get a patch that says Canon, Olympus, Kodak, etc. Get a patch that says Harley Davidson if you fit into the biker crowd. Get a patch with something like Adidas, Nike, etc if you fit into the sports crowd. Have someone sew these onto your pack. Most outsiders will likely not see anything that looks out-of-place.

I think that's all I have for you now. I hope that I helped at least one person, if not many. Stay safe, be well, may the Force be with you, yadda, yadda, yadda...

biblefreak
05-12-2011, 20:16
The holster in the video actually is for a Ruger SP101.

Right, got that part! What brand and model is it? I have been using a DeSantis Sof-Tuck for my SP101 but it rides a bit high for my taste. The holster you have in the video looks like the right height I am after.

PlayboyPenguin
05-12-2011, 20:34
Right, got that part! What brand and model is it? I have been using a DeSantis Sof-Tuck for my SP101 but it rides a bit high for my taste. The holster you have in the video looks like the right height I am after.

Galco stow'n'go holster.

BailRecoveryAgent
05-12-2011, 20:53
:) Thank you for being courteous and civic-minded enough to keep your EDC covered. I admire that!

Thank you for once again turning a concealed carry thread into an opportunity for you to voice your hatred of open carry.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Playboy, another good video with useful info. Now if you would repeat yourself 3 or 4 times, use the word "dude" alot and make the videos as long, boring, and drawn out as Gone with the Wind, you will be close to being in the same category as Nutnfancy.:whistling::supergrin:

gjk5
05-12-2011, 21:59
Good video, and I agree in general. I have a similar build to you, I can get away with a dark tshirt and an IWB with a j frame or 26 (but prefer the extra large if I can). One of the most important things you said (IMO) is that people just won't notice in general. I used to worry and stand oddly, keep my right elbow constantly over the holster, move awkwardly to keep from printing etc. I finally came to realize that 99% of the time no one is looking at that palm sized exact spot on my hip at the exact time I bend down and get a jar of peanut butter off the grocery store shelf.

I also like the Stow n' Go holsters.

Winter is a non issue here, summer with a buttoned or unbuttoned shirt like that is also easy to get away with.

I will say that dressing in office attire (starched shirt and tie 70% and full suit 30%) makes it a little more difficult. I still have not found a way to carry other than pocket or ankle in the office.

RyanBDawg
05-12-2011, 22:06
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/Hot02SS/DSC07769.jpg

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/Hot02SS/DSC07772.jpg

Arc Angel
05-12-2011, 22:53
Thank you for once again turning a concealed carry thread into an opportunity for you to voice your hatred of open carry.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program .....

:) Where do you come off making a reply like that? Exactly who do you think that you are! Perhaps I should be the one to point out that, as usual, you've made another one of your belligerent and intimidating replies.

What are you trying to do? Do you think you're going force everyone on the internet to agree with you? Not going to happen, Pal, especially not on Glock Talk. I'm not afraid of you; nor am I going to allow you or your ilk to bait me.

You know or - given the fact that you're, at least, reasonably intelligent - should know that my reply is entirely appropriate to the subject of this thread. It's not my reply that's out of line - It's yours! These things said, I'm not about to remain silent in order to please the likes of you. Get the message, Junior?

Oh, yeah, one other thing. You owe me an apology. (Think I'll ever get it?) :upeyes:

BailRecoveryAgent
05-13-2011, 08:13
:) Where do you come off making a reply like that? Exactly who do you think that you are! Perhaps I should be the one to point out that, as usual, you've made another one of your belligerent and intimidating replies.

What are you trying to do? Do you think you're going force everyone on the internet to agree with you? Not going to happen, Pal, especially not on Glock Talk. I'm not afraid of you; nor am I going to allow you or your ilk to bait me.

You know or - given the fact that you're, at least, reasonably intelligent - should know that my reply is entirely appropriate to the subject of this thread. It's not my reply that's out of line - It's yours! These things said, I'm not about to remain silent in order to please the likes of you. Get the message, Junior?

Oh, yeah, one other thing. You owe me an apology. (Think I'll ever get it?) :upeyes:

If my post was intimidating to you , you need to man up a bit. As far as an apology, you're right, you're not getting one, its not my fault your feelings get hurt that easy. Have a nice day sport!

Bill Lumberg
05-13-2011, 08:42
True. That said, a 23 or 19 is easily concealed under no more than a t-shirt. All that's required is regularly sized clothing, a proper gunbelt, and a quality holster. None need be expensive. :) Thank you for being courteous and civic-minded enough to keep your EDC covered. I admire that!
:cool:

SevenSixtyTwo
05-13-2011, 09:13
One person's method and a good one that works. Nice vid. I carry my 26 at 1 o'clock~ IWB. Works with almost any T shirt or button up. I've even carried my 17 that way but the grip is a little much. Daughter says I look like a hoodlum but she doesn't know I carry. I don't ask family and friends of they can see it. They'll tell me if they do I'm sure.

PlayboyPenguin
05-13-2011, 09:28
One person's method and a good one that works. Nice vid. I carry my 26 at 1 o'clock~ IWB. Works with almost any T shirt or button up. I've even carried my 17 that way but the grip is a little much. Daughter says I look like a hoodlum but she doesn't know I carry. I don't ask family and friends of they can see it. They'll tell me if they do I'm sure.
You're gonna blow your wiener off if you are not careful. :)

BailRecoveryAgent
05-13-2011, 09:37
You're gonna blow your wiener off if you are not careful. :)

:rofl::rofl:

SevenSixtyTwo
05-14-2011, 05:40
I certainly hope not! My ability to think would be greatly diminished!

AH.74
05-14-2011, 07:25
...and those are the only thing I can wear untucked, as long as I wear my Crossbreed or Kholster with the leather to protect my ribs from 'slide bite'.

The nice thing about the Crossbreed/Kholster type thing is that the leather backing will protect your ribs

Slide bite is not being poked in the ribs by your gun.

HKLovingIT
05-14-2011, 08:27

Especially the clowns. Good vid.

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/images/s/scary_clown-13788.jpg

Darkangel1846
05-14-2011, 09:19
Is that a Wonder Woman dolly on the counter I see?:supergrin:

Funny but that was the first thing I noticed also.:rofl:

Barnesrl
05-14-2011, 09:20
Nice video. Informative and to the point.

Well for me I love my Hawaiian shirts. They are very comfortable and keep me cool. Now to top it off, most of the time I have my photographers vest on over my Hawaiian shirts! Now most of the local people and people in general probably would not think GUN !! when they see me because I usually have a Nikon with a telephoto hanging around my neck or over my shoulder. Meanwhile my CCW is safely in my vest pocket.

When not out with the cameras I usually have my tuckable IWB holster with my G27 inside with a tee shirt or button front shirt. To my knowledge I have never been made carrying. The only people that know I carry is my wife and youngest son who is a deputy Sheriff and most of the time they forget that I carry. They remember when we go to an establishment that is posted and I tell one of them to go on in and I'll catch up with them.

jhmayhem
05-14-2011, 21:54
Galco stow'n'go holster.

I have been thinking of getting one of these holsters for my J-Frames. I'll probably end up pulling the trigger and purchasing one after this video.