AR Suggestions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR Suggestions

nastytrigger
05-12-2011, 16:21
A friend of mine is looking to purchase his first AR. He's shot my NFA Bushy lower, LMT 10.5" upper before and a friends Bushy Modular. His budget is around $1200 for everything (rifle, optic, accessories).

I offered to him to buy a stripped lower and we could help him build what he wanted. Plus, he'd learn how to maintain his rifle while building. Instead, we took him to our favorite gun shop and looked around. He really liked a S&W M&P15 Sport ($607), DPMS Sportical ($607), and a CMMG piston ($1,000). He doesn't like the typical front post sight, he'd rather have one that folds, or none at all. He looked at pretty much all thirty AR's that they had (Bushy's, RRA's, Colt's, Stag's, etc) and said he wanted to wait and think about what he wants exactly. I'm not too certain about these rifles. Can anyone give me any feedback to which would be the better choice, or if he should spend a little more for something else?

He rarely shoots his guns that he has. He's brought me his guns before to clean because it started to rust... :wow:. I was thinking he needed something with chrome lining too.

So far, I know he wants a flat-top AR. 5.56mm 16" barrel. No front post sight. He wants to put an EOTech on it too. He also mentioned he doesn't want to mess with the NFA that I did for my SBR. Basically it'll be a range toy/SHTF rifle.

boomhower
05-12-2011, 16:35
Any of the midtiers would serve his needs fine. RRA, Stag, S&W, etc.

nastytrigger
05-12-2011, 16:46
Anyone have any feedback on the M&P15 Sport?

http://cdn.armslist.com/images/posts/634400165094875881fpzuvn11.jpg

zhix
05-13-2011, 06:47
I used to think Stag was the best choice around for the money, until I got one of their SBRs.
It took two trips back to the factory to get it running right, their customer service has proven to be horrible.
Even after speaking to the president of the company I am still currently waiting to see if they return three magazines I sent to them which they tried to blame for the rifle not functioning.

bullittmcqueen
05-13-2011, 09:09
Anyone have any feedback on the M&P15 Sport?

http://cdn.armslist.com/images/posts/634400165094875881fpzuvn11.jpg

He would probably be very happy with the M&P sport if it seems he is hardly ever going to shoot the gun.

However I would strongly recommend him having a front sight base, you will have a hard time finding a low cost AR without one, and it's the most reliable. If he's dead set on a flip sight it's easy enough to remove the fsb later and put on a gas block and flip sight.

WayaX
05-13-2011, 09:34
With that budget I recommend a Colt and some range time to learn the system. Then he can worry about what to put on it.

IndianaMatt
05-13-2011, 09:38
Colt is always my first recommendation. They make the rifle to beat. I think you can get a match target for like $1200, depending on your location.

Rock River Arms is a pretty good choice though, also.

DieselNut
05-13-2011, 10:41
If he can get a good deal on a colt then get it. Otherwise paying the extra $$ isn't gonna benefit him one bit if he's not gonna shoot it that much, unless he wants bragging rights. I'd suggest a spike's for him. Better quality at about a mid tier price.

Gator Monroe
05-13-2011, 10:50
(Have Him) Buy a J&T or DelTon Middy KIT & build it on a McKay A2 lower He will learn the platform & have his first AR pattern Rifle(Built by himself) for Well under 700.00 .

M&P15T
05-13-2011, 12:20
O.P.

I get the impression from your post that your buddy really isn't interested in building an AR, so buying one ready to go sounds like what he wants to do. Since your friend really doesn't want an FSB (which is a wise choice), that's at least a starting point for him. He might want to look at what I own, which is a S&W M&P15T, which has Magpul folding sights and a front quadrail.

There are many more options out there, so I would suggest that your buddy take his time and do his research.

Kansas Slim
05-13-2011, 13:05
The Stag Model 8 is a fantastic value in a piston gun, if he wants to go that way.

EL COLONEL
05-13-2011, 13:15
For $600 The s&w m&p 15 Sport is hard to beat .

RyanNREMTP
05-13-2011, 17:49
If he's not going to clean it or do up keep on it, why go middle to high tier. Sounds like a waste of money and a good gun.

chris in va
05-13-2011, 19:49
Reports on the Sport are trickling in, and all are favorable. Putting mine on layaway Monday.

iLift45's
05-14-2011, 06:33
Colt is always my first recommendation. They make the rifle to beat. I think you can get a match target for like $1200, depending on your location.

Rock River Arms is a pretty good choice though, also.

I have a Colt HBAR and RRA that is all tricked out with an ACOG sight and Magpul parts. I love the RRA!

DRT
05-14-2011, 06:43
Get a colt and save up to get the optic a later date. Make sure to get a barrel with 1:7" rifling.

Fabius
05-15-2011, 08:03
Just bought a Sport as my first AR. 250 rounds downrange without an issue. No complaints and the quality is excellent for the price. I'm a pistol shooter and didn't realize how much fun a rifle could be until I got the AR. Now I understand why the platform is so popular.

redbrd
05-15-2011, 08:10
Lots of good suggestions above. I do caution not getting a front sight. For any red dot you have to have a back up sighting system that doesn't require batteries. A set of folding sights is a must. My front sight is not a folding sight but it doesn't bother me at all using the EOtech.

nastytrigger
05-15-2011, 09:11
Thanks for all the feedback. I've shown him this thread and he was 'fingering' my SBR again today. He likes my Aimpoint, but he's still set on an EOTech. I also showed him how my magnifier works and he really loves that idea too.

He's still not certain which he wants. Too many options out there... Plus, he's having some issues at home (wife), so he has other things on his mind :upeyes:. The problems aren't with the gun, just normal marriage stuff. I'm glad I'm single :supergrin:.

mjkeat
05-15-2011, 10:48
Spikes or BCM middy.