Best one hand reload technique- glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best one hand reload technique- glock

Steeler58
05-12-2011, 18:46
Mas

Could you please suggest a very good one hand reload technique for the glock pistol--- as an example use a 22 or 17. For most of us this is the left hand if the right is out of commission. Thank you for any of your advice upfront.

Jim

Mas Ayoob
05-13-2011, 00:31
With the Glock I have with me tonight, my procedure for that would be:

1: Use left index finger to eject depleted magazine;

2: Insert butt forward into the holster on my right hip;

3: Withdraw fresh magazine and insert about halfway into pistol butt;

4: Place left thumb over pistol's backstrap and use palm of left hand to crush magazine in until it locks (just slapping it in can pivot the gun out of the holster when gun is in there backwards, and leave it on the ground behind you);

5: Draw pistol with conventional cross-draw;

6: Use left index finger to depress slide stop and chamber a round, or run rear sight or edge of ejection port area of slide against belt to cycle slide if it has closed on an empty chamber;

7: Get back to shooting.

If using shoulder rig or otherwise without a hip holster, insert into left side trouser pocket instead of holster.

NOTE: YOU WANT HUNDREDS OF PRACTICE RUNS WITH DUMMY AMMO BEFORE PRACTICING THIS LIVE, AND I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT THE TECHNIQUE BE LEARNED UNDER COMPETENT SUPERVISION!

best,
Mas

Steeler58
05-13-2011, 01:50
competent supervision defined as? FBI FTO?

Mas Ayoob
05-13-2011, 07:21
Someone who knows what he's doing is and there to observe. When we're the one performing a technique, it's hard to see the forest for the trees. Someone observing us will spot our mistakes faster than we will.

If that's not in the cards for you, try setting up a camcorder on a tripod as you practice. Watching yourself from an outside perspective, you'll pick up more corrections to improve your skill.

Good luck,
Mas

Steeler58
05-13-2011, 08:26
Mas

That is very helpful- I was a LEO briefly in my early 20s many moons ago--we used wheel guns--just got into glocks 4 years ago. Your responses are much appreciated.