Kimber 82 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber 82

BamaTrooper
05-13-2011, 20:24
Anybody shooting one of these? I picked up one today and no one I know has one.

ETA- Specific questions regarding trigger adjustment, good match ammo, prefered cleaning rod (1 piece v multipiece, carbon fiber v metal).

Bill Keith
05-14-2011, 12:54
http://www.thecmp.org/kimber82.htm

Well Trooper, I have heard of the Kimber 82, and it seems it has a mixed review. I'd do a Google search. Sounds like an orphan gun no longer being made. Anyway, as for your general questions, any cleaning rod be it aluminum or fiber from the chamber end isn't going to bugger up the all important muzzle end of the barrel. Cleaning a barrel isn't necessary after every session with a rimfire, the lead bullets will not crap up the barrel like copper clad bullets do on Centerfire rifles, so I actually run 1500-2000 rounds thru my rifles before cleaning - even my Savage-Anschutz rifle - which is on a par with any high end 22 rifle. I always use 40gr ammo ammo, that weight is the most common, is most available. You'll want to try some different makes of ammo for the one that suits your rifle. I use CCI Blazer and Federal Match ammo exclusively. (FWIW - Federal and CCI are owned by the same outfit, I think they are just labels but real similar as to propellants, cases etc - excepting the headstamps). Try not to scrimp on a scope. I have a Leupold scope on my Anschutz, it has served me well for years.:wavey:

BamaTrooper
05-14-2011, 17:14
I hope to hit the range for a first run pretty soon. Hope mine isn't a lemon. One of the other guns sold with this one had a 10shot 50yd group, one hole covered by my pinkie nail. I didn't shoot it, someone else did; he was using CCI Green Tag.
I dont have a scope and was planning on shooting iron sights for a little while, if not exclusively. I don't know if there are any small bore clubs/matches in my area.

All in all the wood is good, the bore is clean and shiny, all the metal is scratch free and there are only 2 shallow scratch marks on the left side of the stock were some dip$h!+ used a case cutter on the packing tape.

Glockingted
05-16-2011, 17:17

ETA- Specific questions regarding trigger adjustment, good match ammo, prefered cleaning rod (1 piece v multipiece, carbon fiber v metal).

Hi BamaTrooper,
If you got it from CMP, it needs a good cleaning! I adjusted the trigger per instruction book and did the cock and hit butt stock on firm surface. It stayed cocked, so I guess I got it right. Book says lead bullets only and no shorts or longs. Standard velocity only.
I using iron sights at 100 yards and doing fair. Most shooters put target scopes. See Rimfire Center Community. Kimber sub group.
(One piece rod; you might bump chamber edge with a multi piece where it joins together.

BamaTrooper
05-16-2011, 18:12
Hi BamaTrooper,
If you got it from CMP, it needs a good cleaning! I adjusted the trigger per instruction book and did the cock and hit butt stock on firm surface. It stayed cocked, so I guess I got it right. Book says lead bullets only and no shorts or longs. Standard velocity only.
I using iron sights at 100 yards and doing fair. Most shooters put target scopes. See Rimfire Center Community. Kimber sub group.
(One piece rod; you might bump chamber edge with a multi piece where it joins together.

Mine is a NIB sample and I noticed all the lube or whatever had dried up and it comes off yellow on hands and clothes.

Glockingted
05-17-2011, 08:53
Mine is a NIB sample and I noticed all the lube or whatever had dried up and it comes off yellow on hands and clothes.

That's "The rust" on rustys. You might find real rust in or on bolt.
I used break cleaner on mine until it came out clean then oiled.
If you take the bolt apart, watch out for that left hand tread screw!
The one with the hex head, I think.

mboylan
05-29-2011, 16:00
Use a one piece coated rod or carbon fiber. The most important cleaning accessory is a bore guide. Precision rimfire rifling is very easy to damage. Strip it down all the way and get the gunk out of everything. Relubricate and reassemble.

Find a brand of ammo that works well. A match rifle like this requires about 25 fouling shots to season the bore with the bullet lube, before optimal accuracy is gained. Keep using the same ammo and clean the bore about every 5000 rounds. Over cleaning a precision rimfire rifle is really really bad.

Glockingted
05-29-2011, 17:03
I took a clue from the Rimfire Center group and redid the stock on mine. After cleaning, sanding and applying Tung oil it looks nice, not great , but nice.
Good walnut on a "lowest bidder" stock was a treat!

ChrisJn
05-29-2011, 17:06

I got one of the "rusty" ones last September direct from CMP, Anniston, for $400 + tax. After a good degrease and clean it is perfect. None of the box cutter marks on mine.
It loves CCI Green tag and standard velocity ammo.
I have found the trigger perfect "as is".
I use a regular "Hoppes" cleaning rod on mine.

http://londonphotography.biz/K82_1.jpg

http://londonphotography.biz/K82_2.jpg

Patrick R
06-01-2011, 15:15
My Kimber 82 shoots ok.

It would shoot great if it had a nice trigger.

Dose anyone make an aftermarket trigger for the 82?

(In oz instead of Lbs)

Glockingted
06-01-2011, 15:44
My Kimber 82 shoots ok.

It would shoot great if it had a nice trigger.

Dose anyone make an aftermarket trigger for the 82?

(In oz instead of Lbs)

Check out Rimfire Center. They refer to somebody named "Nemo" that does trigger work, etc. I'm satisfied with my trigger after I adjusted it, but at my age my feeling on my fingers isn't what it used to be.

Kegs
06-01-2011, 17:29
I hope to hit the range for a first run pretty soon. Hope mine isn't a lemon. One of the other guns sold with this one had a 10shot 50yd group, one hole covered by my pinkie nail. I didn't shoot it, someone else did; he was using CCI Green Tag.
I dont have a scope and was planning on shooting iron sights for a little while, if not exclusively. I don't know if there are any small bore clubs/matches in my area.

All in all the wood is good, the bore is clean and shiny, all the metal is scratch free and there are only 2 shallow scratch marks on the left side of the stock were some dip$h!+ used a case cutter on the packing tape.

Borrow a scope from the sniper at the dept and wring out the precision to see what it will do at 100y. Something over 30x and 56mm obj. would work well.

When a friend of mine came over and brought his Anschutz to my 100y range with a slew of ammo (with a 42x nightforce scope mounted on it), we found Wolf (not sure which one m.e. maybe?) target ammo was the value winner producing fairly good groups out there (can't remember how tight they were - but this is cheap stuff and it has excellent precision). He also had some Tenex, which was the clear winner in precision w/somewhere near 1/2" at 100y for 10 shots. I like green tag, but there are lots others to choose from as well. Lapua also makes some good stuff and don't discount pistol match for the rifles either!

One round I have been continually impressed with for a very long time in most rimfire target arms is Federal # 719. It's cheap and it generally has very good precision.