storing calcium hypochlorite [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : storing calcium hypochlorite

M1A Shooter
05-13-2011, 20:56
finally picked up a couple lbs of calcium hypochlorite to have on hand if needed to make bleach for various reasons to include water treatment. as many warning as i see about it being corrosive and possible out-gassing, im curious as tohow you guys store it? it comes in a plastic bag but it smells like chlorine and i would prefer to be able to store it airtight to keep the fumes and such down. it will be stored in my garage which is detached from my house and not insulated but decently ventilated.

have been thinking of vacuum sealing it? or sealing it in a mason jar but that concerns me wth the oxidizing of the lid... not really sure.

TheBigCroaker
05-14-2011, 05:53
I vacuum-sealed sealed mine in plastic with my Food Saver.

UneasyRider
05-14-2011, 07:33
Tagged to hear the best answer.

cyrsequipment
05-14-2011, 07:37
I vacuum-sealed sealed mine in plastic with my Food Saver.

Have you noticed if the bags started to inflate in anyway?

NCwriter
05-14-2011, 09:03
Check out the MSDS here: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/c0418.htm

I do not think I would seal it up. I would store it in a plastic bucket.

Gary

TheBigCroaker
05-15-2011, 05:54
only been about a month but no problems, no bags inflating.

Bolster
05-26-2012, 22:38
I missed this post originally.

Got a pound of CH and threw in a drawer for, I think, two days. Maybe three. Whoof, big stink. Even though the original still-sealed bag was that super tuff plastic (tyvek?).

Who knows what corrosion it started in my drawer, and I've been airing out the drawer for 4 days now.

I think I'll try to FoodSaver seal mine, too, and keep it in a 2-gallon plastic bucket with lid.

Dang, you do NOT want to store this stuff near anything important. I'm sure it's highly corrosive.