IWB holster - G26 for small waist? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IWB holster - G26 for small waist?

AGAF
05-13-2011, 22:10
Sorry if this has been discussed 8 million times.....this is my first post since 2009.

I am 5'11'' and weigh 195 lbs. I have what you might refer to as an athletic frame. Although I wear an XL shirt, my waist is 32". I have found that most if not all IWB holsters just don't work for me. If I find one that allows the gun to ride low, it is not comfortable. If the gun rides higher, it tends to pull away from the body and create printing issues.

What have you found that works best for you in terms of overall comfort, ease of concealment, and something that pulls the gun in close to the body?

I have not tried the Crossbreed, but have read good reports on it.

Thanks!

toshbar
05-13-2011, 22:34
Comp Tac CTAC. I am 5'9", 150 lbs, 32 waist. Glock 23 disappears with a large shirt on, tucked in or not. I thought it was a magic plastic box the first time I put it on and the gun disappeared into it.

gjk5
05-13-2011, 22:43
I am 5'11" and weigh 210 lbs, wear an XL most of the time and wear a 36" waist (with an IWB setup). I have no problem concealing a gun even with my bit of gut. Not sure why you are having an issue.

How long have you been carrying? (and how frequently?)

JoNxMeMpHiS
05-13-2011, 22:54
I'm not a fan of Comp-Tac IWB(s) and I've had several. I'm 6'1" and 185 with a 32" waist. I like the Crossbreed Super-Tuck but, when I put on my size 34" jeans/shorts/dress pants, I use a Qwik-Clip from Crossbreed.

Most comfortable IWB I've ever used and I've concealed several M&P, XD and Glocks using the Qwik-Clip. Even fat guns like those mentioned are pretty easy to deal with in that rig.

Hope it helps.

Captains1911
05-13-2011, 23:01
Just get an MTAC, most likely you will love it. It does everything the crossbreed can and more, as it's adjustable for both ride height and cant.

Also, I assume you are using a gun belt, otherwise that's at least half your problem.

ranburr1
05-14-2011, 00:17
Milt Sparks VMII.

DWARREN123
05-14-2011, 06:45
An inexpensive one that works for me is a Don Hume 715 series. It has a small foot print, easy on/off and mine has lasted for several years.
WWW.GUNNERSALLEY.COM (http://www.GUNNERSALLEY.COM)

DaneA
05-14-2011, 07:02
I have a Crossbreed that is comfortable for me. I'm 5'9" 200lbs. I wear it at about 3:30-4 o'clock and it seems to be comfortable no matter what I'm doing. The one thing I did to make it more comfortable was adjusting the cant way up.

AGAF
05-14-2011, 08:25
The Comp-Tac did not work for me at all. Very uncomfortable. I may have to give the Crossbreed Supertuck a try. Thanks

NMG26
05-14-2011, 08:28
Try a Remora no clip and let the gun ride where it it is comfortable for you.

tonyparson
05-14-2011, 08:51
The Comp-Tac did not work for me at all. Very uncomfortable. I may have to give the Crossbreed Supertuck a try. Thanks

If the Comp-Tac did not work for you, then I doubt the crossbreed will be any more comfortable. Where do you carry your gun? I carry mine at 4:00. What I didnt like about the Crossbreed was way to much leather down your pants and the metal clips wear out your belt and the top of your pants. Just my two cents.

BailRecoveryAgent
05-14-2011, 09:02
What kind of belt are you using? If the gun is pulling away from your body, sounds like you need a better belt.

Cycletroll
05-14-2011, 09:07
I'm 6'3" and 180# with a 32" waist. Routinely carry a G30, G21, G23, G19, and G17 in a Blade-tech Nano. Even the big guns are comfy and hide well. The Nano is the thinnest and smoothest contour holster I have found and holds the gun quite securely. I have even run and hiked with it on with no discomfort.

A G26 (which I have one of also) would disappear in a Nano. I usually carry the G19 or G23 rather than the G26 because there is not a uge difference in concealability and I prefer the ergos and firepower. When wearing a vest or button cover garment I usually carry either the G17 or G21.

http://blade-tech.com/NANO-IWB-pr-1141.html

AGAF
05-14-2011, 10:41
What kind of belt are you using? If the gun is pulling away from your body, sounds like you need a better belt.

A fairly thick 1 1/4" leather belt. It is not a gun belt per se, but pretty close.
I may have to buy a 1 1/2" gun belt to see if that makes a difference.
Someone asked how long I have been carrying; its been around 5 years now.
Due to the issues stated, I've mostly been carrying a .380 pocket pistol, but want to get back to carrying my G26.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

HKLovingIT
05-14-2011, 14:23
A fairly thick 1 1/4" leather belt. It is not a gun belt per se, but pretty close.
Due to the issues stated, I've mostly been carrying a .380 pocket pistol, but want to get back to carrying my G26.

It's your belt. Get a good belt before buying any other holsters.
A good one that is not very expensive is this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=2526141222

It will make a world of difference.

Captains1911
05-14-2011, 15:22
If the Comp-Tac did not work for you, then I doubt the crossbreed will be any more comfortable. Where do you carry your gun? I carry mine at 4:00. What I didnt like about the Crossbreed was way to much leather down your pants and the metal clips wear out your belt and the top of your pants. Just my two cents.

HUGE difference in comfort between a CTAC and a crossbreed or MTAC. The crossbreed and MTAC use a leather backing making it much more comfortable than the kydex against your body.

Captains1911
05-14-2011, 15:24

Like I said earlier, your belt is at least half your problem. Buy a gun belt, it's just as important as the holster itself.

coyote 30
05-14-2011, 15:53
I have been carrying my G26 in a Blade Tech NANO IWB for the past month and it is the best IWB I have ever used and I've used most of them out there. The gun disappears and it is so comfortable I forget it is on. I am 6'3" and 205lbs. with a 36" waist. I use a Wilderness instructors belt with the polymer stiffener and this setup has worked well for me.
I am getting NANO's for all my Glocks as it just works well and solved the comfort problem for me and I can carry all day without discomfort.

DaneA
05-14-2011, 22:29
For those wearing the Nano or any other all Kydex holster: Are you wearing it always with an undershirt or against bare skin? I would think that that would be rather uncomfortable against bare skin.

coyote 30
05-14-2011, 22:42
For those wearing the Nano or any other all Kydex holster: Are you wearing it always with an undershirt or against bare skin? I would think that that would be rather uncomfortable against bare skin.

I have worn the NANO on bare skin but I prefer having a T shirt on and another shirt over it, usually a button down shirt or with the weather here in the Northwest I wear a sweatshirt over it and it disappears under either cover garment.

toshbar
05-15-2011, 00:05
Bare skin always.(only had it for 2 months though)

The only time it's truly hurt was tonight when I was on the couch and rolled over to lie down. Skin got in between the back of the slide and the kydex shield = PINCH.

beforeobamabans
05-15-2011, 05:58
This holster ended my search for the perfect IWB for my 26:

http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/products.htm

This holster is not inexpensive but superb handcrafted quality rarely is. Look at it this way: if you make one mistake buying something else, you will have wasted an opportunity to own one of the best holsters on the market. While I'm a CBST fan for larger pistols (and own one for my G30), IMHO, it is overkill for smaller pistols like the 26. Plus, if you really appreciate the aesthetics of finely crafted leather like I do, you will grow to dislike the ugly, utilitarian design of the Crossbreed. The one caution I would provide (but at the same time believe the Brommeland would work well for the small-waisted) is the fact that Gary B.'s Max Con V design forces you to wear it in a certain spot. He describes this as, "the hollow between kidney and ribcage" which means above your right rear pocket or about 4:00. This position should conceal very well on your frame. But, if you know you don't like this position, look elsewhere.

DMF
05-15-2011, 11:07
I'm similar to the OP in height/weight/build. My recommendation is pricey, but holds the gun securely, conceals it well, and is comfortable.

I carry everyday in a FIST #20 hybrid (leather over kydex) with a tension screw added.

Like I said it's very pricey, but after spending well over a thousand dollars on various holsters, that all had major flaws, that FIST hybrid #20 is as close to perfect as I could find.