Carrying with cold [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying with cold

Tmoney33
05-14-2011, 09:53
Mas,

Iím familiar with the laws of carrying while absolutely no alcohol is in your system but what about cold medicines? The ones that could make you drowsy etc. What are your thoughts on carrying say while on Robitussin or NyQuil? I havenít seen anywhere where that would be illegal but Iím thinking itís probably not a good idea. Do you see any issues with being able to think clearly while on this stuff?

Thanks

Mas Ayoob
05-14-2011, 17:35
Tmoney, I'm not aware of any caselaw on that, and would be happy to hear from any attorneys who do have that, and read this.

With prescriptions meds, ask the doc about side effects before taking it and carrying.

With over the counter meds, ask the same of the pharmacist.

With either, if it's a medication new to you (or something you've taken before, but are now taking in combination with something else you haven't), the belt-and-suspenders approach is to leave the gun at home for a day or two while you're on those meds, until you KNOW whether it's going to make you drowsy, fuzzy, etc.

As it says at the top of the GATE page, I give practical advice, not legal advice. That's the best I can do, bro. Again, I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has caselaw on the topic.

best,
Mas

Mas Ayoob
05-16-2011, 06:43
Glock Talk member Kriterian shares the following experience:

"Regarding a question asked in the GATE Self Defense forum: I've had experience being pulled over while under the influence of Nyquil.

"It was 3:00 am when I awoke at a friends house after falling asleep while taking Nyquil. I got up to drive home along the winding, twisting backroads out in the country. At one point going around a sharp cover I drifted on to the yellow lines and there had been a sheriff deputy following me with his lights off.

"They pulled me over and my eyes failed the flashlight dilation test bad enough that they wanted to breathalyzer me. It showed nothing, as in 0.0, and they let me go on my way after I explained the Nyquil. The deputies, as well as my doctor, later told me that depending on how long it had been with it in my system it could show up as a 0.01.

"I would advise not risking it at all."

Thanks, Kriterian!

Appreciatively,
Mas