When did Walmart start asking for ID to buy ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : When did Walmart start asking for ID to buy ammo?

HexHead
05-14-2011, 13:13
Stopped in today to get some 9mm, and the clerk insisted I show ID. I was pretty put off by that.

Then the woman at the door wanted to see my receipt, I barked at her "This is Walmart not Sam's, I'm not showing you ****" and just kept on walking.

Jeff82
05-14-2011, 13:14
They've always been supposed to be doing that. Anytime handgun ammo is bought.

wrenrj1
05-14-2011, 13:17
Stopped in today to get some 9mm, and the clerk insisted I show ID. I was pretty put off by that.

Then the woman at the door wanted to see my receipt, I barked at her "This is Walmart not Sam's, I'm not showing you ****" and just kept on walking.

Be nice to old people.

G30SF/F-250
05-14-2011, 13:19

So stop shopping there.:dunno:

BLACKMAGICK
05-14-2011, 13:21
If I'm not mistaken Bloomberg had a hand in that, he simply asked them to do it and they complied.

HexHead
They've always been supposed to be doing that. Anytime handgun ammo is bought.

Is it a Walmart rule or some new BATFE BS?
I've been buying ammo there for years and never been asked that before. Not like you could possibly mistake me for under 21.

I know here in TN they do that for beer in the supermarkets, but I've never been asked for ID anywhere to buy ammo before.

pipedreams

Must be a local thing. I purchased ammo from our local store last week and all they ask was I a resident of the state. The store has a lot of out of state shoppers is the only reason they ask that. They always double bag the purchase and place the receipt in the bag.

HexHead
05-14-2011, 13:22
Be nice to old people.

She was no older than me. :rofl:

MeefZah
05-14-2011, 13:27

:upeyes:

Z1232K
05-14-2011, 13:28

Wait, the clerk checked your ID, which is something he is supposed to do....

....so you cussed at the woman, (also doing her job), on the way out the front door?

Classy:upeyes:

cruisermedic
05-14-2011, 13:29
My guess is that they have been caught selling to under age buyers. My local has never asked to my ID. Maybe a new person just setting a habit, if they ask for all id then they won't forget to ask when the buyer is under age.

Bruce M
05-14-2011, 13:30
, I barked at her "This is Walmart not Sam's, I'm not showing you ****" and just kept on walking.

Seems a bit rude to me, of course no one asked me. At the Walmarts near here when the ammunition is scanned, the register asks the employee to verify the purchasers age as over 21. Oddly, or perhaps not, they never ask me. Coincidentally, or perhaps not, the last time I was "carded" at a bar I think Carter was still in office. Sigh.

SIUC4
05-14-2011, 13:32
Being an a hole to people at wal-mart...your cool

Glock_Wenc_21
05-14-2011, 13:35
They ask you for ID so what BIG DEAL

gbhamm2
05-14-2011, 13:37
You have to be over 21 to buy handgun ammo...

whitebread
05-14-2011, 13:40
I have never once been asked to show ID when buying ammo.

Chunky Mayonnaise
05-14-2011, 13:45
I have to show ID anytime I purchase ammo just the joys of a FOID card.

M2 Carbine
05-14-2011, 13:45
You have to be over 21 to buy handgun ammo...
This is why they ask you what type of gun the ammo is for. If you say a handgun the next question is are you over 21.

Instead of being a A-Hole to people that are just trying to make a living by doing what they are told to do, call Wal Mart headquarters and cuss them out.

ScrappyDoo
05-14-2011, 13:52
I don't have to show ID for ammo at the Walmart I buy from (which is across the river in PA, Jersey doesn't walmart ammo) BUT when buying ammo in NJ, you actually have to show your FID card and they (EVERYONE) records your info and what you're buying. And recently they're asking for your license to verify your FID card for recording purposes. It's ridiculous but it's the law I guess.

G19Paul
05-14-2011, 13:58
Same for me today at WallyWorld here in GA. Bought 300 rounds (9mm) and was asked to show ID. They have a sign up on one of the ammo cabinet doors. Didn't get asked to show my receipt on the way out.

There are several stores asking to show receipts now. I try NOT to comply like the rest of the sheep do. I tell them to get a manager and to show probable cause that I didn't pay for what's in my bag. I always get told to have a nice day. Think about it sheep! You are giving up your 4th amendment rights without even blinking. Really?

They hear my opinion for sure, and then I try to find a different store the next time.

failsafe
05-14-2011, 14:02
It's their store, than can put a policy up...don't like it? Shop elsewhere..:whistling:

KarlThomas
05-14-2011, 14:05
Boo freakin' hoo. You poor thing.

joecoastie
05-14-2011, 14:09
Wal-Mart is conducting joint operations with the BATFE, they've started placing RFID tracking beacons in every box of of ammo. They have you show your ID because they have special cameras that zoom in on it and forward the info to the NSA.

HotRoderX
05-14-2011, 14:11
99% its a federal law

joecoastie
05-14-2011, 14:12
nevermind

Sammael
05-14-2011, 14:13

This makes you very cool. I for one, am quite impressed.

Stay classy. :thumbsup:

pipedreams
05-14-2011, 14:22
Wal-Mart is conducting joint operations with the BATFE, they've started placing RFID tracking beacons in every box of of ammo. They have you show your ID because they have special cameras that zoom in on it and forward the info to the NSA.
LOL............

If you look up you will notice a black covered security camera directly over the counter where you purchase ammo or firearms.

vista461
05-14-2011, 14:22

http://www.mediabistro.com/prnewser/files/original/******.jpg

Bruce M
05-14-2011, 14:28
Think about it sheep! You are giving up your 4th amendment rights without even blinking. Really?

I actually thought that the Fourth Amendment placed limits on government searches and seizures, not on Walmart asking for receipts. But I am not a Constitutional scholar and having to prove I am over 21 for ammunition purchasing or showing someone a receipt never seemed especially intrusive to me.

gbhamm2
05-14-2011, 14:41
For everyone saying they haven't been asked to show ID...if you look old, they prob wont ask.

Golddog
05-14-2011, 14:42
As above, the Constitution says nothing on searches by private parties. Wal-Mart invites you on the premises with the understanding that you'll comply with their policies.

In any case, why be unpleasant to innocent souls who are politely doing their jobs?

By the way, the local Wal-Mart has been asking for ID during ammo buys for over a decade.

9mmXRAY
05-14-2011, 14:50

Ok... so your upset why? If your buying handgun ammo you have to be 21... if your buying 9mm ammo for a rifle you have to be 18 and you have to tell them its for a rifle. If you don't look 30-40+ they normally check your ID.

Also Sams club is owned by Walmart... so... ok... yeah. I'm sure if your barking at total strangers at walmart... your family probably also loves you alot! :wavey:

HotRoderX
05-14-2011, 14:54
Kinda off topic but OP don't go to walmart to buy eggs or toilet paper after midnight they ID for that also regardless of age. I been ID twice seriously whats so bad about shopping at walmart at 12 in the morning there fewer people to contend with.

MarcDW
05-14-2011, 15:05
Properly she would have not known the answer anyway, but why didn't you ask her why to see your ID??
Not that it would do any WalMart employee any good beside to check your age to see your ID.
When I was living in Nashua NH, they wanted to make sure that no MASS resident would buy ammo.
I just bought last week some .22 ammo (by the way the red box Winchester sucks) at WalMart and only was asked if for long or handgun.

9mmXRAY
05-14-2011, 15:09
Same for me today at WallyWorld here in GA. Bought 300 rounds (9mm) and was asked to show ID. They have a sign up on one of the ammo cabinet doors. Didn't get asked to show my receipt on the way out.

There are several stores asking to show receipts now. I try NOT to comply like the rest of the sheep do. I tell them to get a manager and to show probable cause that I didn't pay for what's in my bag. I always get told to have a nice day. Think about it sheep! You are giving up your 4th amendment rights without even blinking. Really?

They hear my opinion for sure, and then I try to find a different store the next time.

I bet you also bring concealed weapons into stores that have "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED CONCEALED OR OTHERWISE" signs up... because you think the sign means nothing... I hope you don't but if you do and your caught its felony "Armed Trespassing".

HexHead
05-14-2011, 15:15
I didn't give the guy at the ammo counter a hard time, just thought it was odd since I buy ammo there all the time and had never been asked or questioned before. Could be my gray beard.

As for the receipt thing. It's part of my membership agreement at Sam's that I'll show my receipt when I leave, so no issue there. I'm not showing anything to anyone at Walmart. Especially when the bag is stapled shut with the receipt attached to it. I reserve the right to be as rude as I want about it.

WILLSARV
05-14-2011, 15:17
They ask to see ID for spray paint too if you're lucky enough to look under 21. What is the big deal. I don't want kids buying ammo and doing something stupid to cause the rest of us more greif. Same with spray paint.

Glock_Wenc_21
05-14-2011, 15:18
Maybe his ID shows his previous weight or when he had hair or something embaressing

3rdCoastGlock
05-14-2011, 15:19
OP seems like a huge tool. Don't go out in public, we don't like you either.

Glock_Wenc_21
05-14-2011, 15:21
I Bet you would be pissed off if I stole your wallet and used you card at wal-mart and the person being the counter didn't ask for an ID to verify your identity. 25 Days from now you'd feel really dumb when the bill comes in

H&K 4 LIFE
05-14-2011, 15:23
What is the harm in showing them your license? What is the harm in showing them your receipt?

But I suppose I pick my battles a little more carefully then some.

Captains1911
05-14-2011, 15:33

....so you cussed at the woman, (also doing her job), on the way out the front door?

Yup, my thoughts exactly.

Captains1911
05-14-2011, 15:34
http://www.mediabistro.com/prnewser/files/original/******.jpg

:rofl::rofl:

Kansas Slim
05-14-2011, 15:59
Here in KS they've always asked for ID. I don't have a problem with that, but then I've never been asked for the receipt on the way out. That might be a little annoying, but I think killing them with kindness might show anti-gun folks that we are good people too instead of the angry, scared, hillbillies that most of 'em see us as.

Joshhtn
05-14-2011, 16:02
Is it a Walmart rule or some new BATFE BS?
I've been buying ammo there for years and never been asked that before. Not like you could possibly mistake me for under 21.

I know here in TN they do that for beer in the supermarkets, but I've never been asked for ID anywhere to buy ammo before.

I'm 28, but look 21-22 and I get asked for my I.D. anytime I buy ammo.

Spiffums
05-14-2011, 16:29
I made the lady check and highlight my last receipt at Wally world. I bought a car stereo and I didn't want trouble if it didn't work or was broken and I had to take it back.

bsg1
05-14-2011, 16:31
i am asked for id at my local Walmart when i buy ammo; southern california.

stolivar
05-14-2011, 17:03
just this week at our walmart. doing a whole new redo

steve

swinokur
05-14-2011, 17:05
Title 18 United States Code Chapter 44. Handgun ammo may not be sold or possessed by a person under 21. Just like getting carded for liquor. It is the store's prerogative if they want to check your ID, They are not infringing on your privacy by complying with the law.

tampashooters
05-14-2011, 17:37
I think I saw you storming out of wal-mart today..

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/2564.jpg

JBP55
05-14-2011, 17:46

This. :cool:

ScrappyDoo
05-14-2011, 18:40
summers eve ******: Enjoy being a woman. LMFAO x GOOGLEPLEX

wrenrj1
05-14-2011, 18:47
As above, the Constitution says nothing on searches by private parties. Wal-Mart invites you on the premises with the understanding that you'll comply with their policies.

Not that I've been asked for a receipt in recent memory (except for Sams club) but where is it stated that I have the expectation that Walmart has the right to inspect my purchases, which are now legally mine after the transaction, not as a condition of leaving the store.

If it does happen, I'll politely decline. If the door buzzer goes off, i'll be happy to stop.

I am not a lawyer by the way, just curious where they have the right to do what they do after a valid transaction.

guitargene82
05-14-2011, 18:50
Can't stand Walmart, went in today for the first time in several months... Don't know what I was thinking.

jljbtm
05-14-2011, 19:32
I think it's their job - so what. Walmart is the cheapest. And I was only asked once years ago if 22 ammo was for a hand gun and I said no for a long gun, but was never asked for a id

Teej
05-14-2011, 19:42
With that temper is it possible they were checking your ID to make sure you are old enough to purchase ammo??

bug
05-14-2011, 19:49
Um

Cool story bro!
open carry would have prevented this.
U da MAN!
Did the lady checking receipt have her hat on?
Some should post one of those not this **** again posters.
And last but not least IBTL

Here I put some smiles :crying::pms: :deadhorse::deadhorse::needspics:

Edit:Oh yeah walmart is the devil!

And next time just face punch the girl checking at the door that will show her who the man is!!!

The post above is a attempt at Humor I do not really condone punching the receite checker girl
Unless she Gives you The evil eye then it ok

gunslinger3
05-14-2011, 19:59
I have been buying here in Washington for over a year and today was the first time I was asked for ID. Two funny things about that:

1. I am 50+ years old

2. the same guy sold me a Ruger 10/22 last Sunday :cool:

Don't mind being carded for ammo. I am just glad I can buy it there again....

Suby
05-14-2011, 20:19
At my local Walmart in western New York you have to show a pistol permit to buy any ammunition that could be used in a handgun, yes even .22lr.

10mm Sonny
05-14-2011, 21:06
Can't stand Walmart, went in today for the first time in several months... Don't know what I was thinking.

Because you were trying to look up her-his-its skirt.

Civilian sheep Dog
05-14-2011, 21:08
They should always ask you to provide ID. However this door checker is BS, just keep walking. The reason Sams club and Bj's have door checkers is because they reserve the right when you sign up for their membership. Some stores like Brandsmart,homedepot,walmart now have these people who stand there and stamp your receipt its BS and I just keep walking. Brandsmart guys are usually dressed like some sort of flashlight cop and put up a argument when you just walk by and they have their hand out waiting for your receipt I just tell get a real job

HexHead
05-14-2011, 21:32
They should always ask you to provide ID. However this door checker is BS, just keep walking. The reason Sams club and Bj's have door checkers is because they reserve the right when you sign up for their membership.

I can uderstad it in a place like Sam's or Costco where your purchases aren't bagged. Otherwise, they'd have no idea if you even went through the checkout, since everything is just in the cart. But when you're walking out of Walmart with your purchases bagged, especially if the bag is stapled shut with the receipt attached is just BS.

Some of you guys probably like getting groped by the TSA too.

the_machine
05-14-2011, 21:45

Look like you're making the problem for yourself.

RustyDaleShackleford
05-14-2011, 21:46
What is the big deal. I don't want kids buying ammo and doing something stupid to cause the rest of us more greif. Same with spray paint.
Kids can do stupid stuff after buying it, even if they do show ID. And not everybody who does dumb or illegal things is under 21.

And it should be nobody's business what age I am.

You know what? Just to make it even more unlikely that "kids are gonna do something stupid", let's outlaw OC and CC, and raise ammo taxes 500%, and require 120-day waiting periods for all firearms purchases, and require locks and for all guns to be in safes at all times, too.

That way we'll be that much safer, right? We wouldn't want any individual doing anything illegal, because everybody knows that if you make the laws that much stricter, there would be less crime. And more laws means the idiots and bad guys will obey them. Right?

GlockinNJ
05-14-2011, 22:07
I don't have to show ID for ammo at the Walmart I buy from (which is across the river in PA, Jersey doesn't walmart ammo) BUT when buying ammo in NJ, you actually have to show your FID card and they (EVERYONE) records your info and what you're buying. And recently they're asking for your license to verify your FID card for recording purposes. It's ridiculous but it's the law I guess.

Scrappy - same here. I live in north Jersey and cross over to Stroudsburg PA to go to Pocono Pistol range. Great place. I get my ammo from the Walmart down the road. They've never asked for ID yet. But once recently I bought ammo in Jersey using a credit card and the vendor used a particular card reader just to track the ammo purchase. This state sucks. I went to the local Dicks Sporting Goods to look at a BB gun for my kid and they wanted to see my FFID card just to let me handle a damned BB gun.

CajunBass
05-14-2011, 22:09
The last time anyone asked for my ID was to see if I was old enough for the senior citizens discount.

They stopped asking long ago. :embarassed:

glocknick
05-14-2011, 22:10
I think I saw you storming out of wal-mart today..

you are one hot momma

jhmayhem
05-14-2011, 22:56
I don't get why some people think it's such a big deal to show ID, especially if it has to do with something that involves age restrictions or is for your own protection to prevent identity fraud and theft. A lot of times it is the employee's job to check due to company policy/law, and if it seems like they're going out of their way to check ID, it's usually not because they're trying to be a stickler but it's because their boss specifically told them to check it for EVERYONE and they probably had eyes on them to do just that. Believe it or not employees do get in trouble and even fired for not following rules they may think are as mundane or unnecessary as you do.

cjs83
05-15-2011, 04:02
I dont understand why people are so uptight these days, take a breath and relax and move on, no need to be rude to other people over something like this, especially somebody doing there job.....

or maybe its just the "people of walmart" epedemic that is taking over :rofl:

kahrcarrier
05-15-2011, 05:52
For everyone saying they haven't been asked to show ID...if you look old, they prob wont ask.

I never get asked, so thank you for making my day!! :cool:

rdbjr57
05-15-2011, 06:14
I bet you also bring concealed weapons into stores that have "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED CONCEALED OR OTHERWISE" signs up... because you think the sign means nothing... I hope you don't but if you do and your caught its felony "Armed Trespassing".

Depends on the state... this is not a true statement in KY...

ADK_40GLKr
05-15-2011, 07:02
This is why they ask you what type of gun the ammo is for. If you say a handgun the next question is are you over 21.

I just tell 'em the .40 USB is for my GLock Carbine! (And I don't think 68 can be mistaken for under 21.)

But seriously, here in northern NY, it seems WalMart's been asking for my DL with even shotgun ammo for years. Now they ALWAYS ask for my Pistol Permit when buying 9mm or .40.

Hey, I appreciate the safety precaution. Why sell ammo to unlicensed criminals?

relayman
05-15-2011, 07:11
I have never had to show my ID . My gray hair speaks for itself I guess . As far as the door greeter goes , you wouldn't believe how much merchandise just " walks out " of the door every day . My wife is a manager at a major home improvement store , and the stories she tells me are unreal . Air Compressors , chainsaws , tool sets , etc. They steal anything .

IndyGunFreak
05-15-2011, 07:12

Probably made you feel like a pretty big man talking to two people just doing their job like that...

You really need an attitude adjustment. I hope you get banned from the store for your attitude.

IGF

HexHead
05-15-2011, 07:16
About the age restriction on buying handgun ammo.... Here in TN, you can own a handgun legally at 18. You can buy a handgun legally at age 18 in a private transaction with no background check. So why the restrictions on buying ammo?

M2 Carbine
05-15-2011, 07:19
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine

I just tell 'em the .40 USB is for my Glock Carbine! (And I don't think 68 can be mistaken for under 21.)

Once in a great while someone new at the ammo counter will read off the cash register, "will the ammo be used in a handgun?".
I usually tell them it will be used in a machine gun.
When they look at me surprised I tell them, "the next question is, are you over 21?". "Please ask me if I'm over 21" (I'm 73)
Then usually we laugh about it.

Most clerks don't even know why they have to ask you these questions and most old clerks don't ask you if you are obviously way over 21.

happyguy
05-15-2011, 07:34
There was a Walmart in Columbus, Mississippi that would write down your personal information in a book and have you sign it whenever you purchased handgun ammo.

I never purchased anything there.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

handyman
05-15-2011, 07:42
Life is to short for me to really care about that. Just show them and be on your way.

carloglock19
05-15-2011, 08:13
I have only been asked for ID verification at Walmart once when I had my son with me and since he is already taller than I maybe the clerk thought I was buying ammo for him!

HeliGlock
05-15-2011, 08:22
Its pretty bad when someone gets upset for people doing there job. Sent some cheese to go with the whine:)

Glockdude1
05-15-2011, 08:23
The Wal-Mart in my area, used to ask, "Is it for a rifle or a pistol?"

I always responded, "It is for a MACHINEGUN." :supergrin:

One time, a clerk told me, "Wal-Mart ammo won't work in machineguns."

Me: Why not?

Clerk: Machineguns use a different kind of ammo.

:rofl:

ScrappyDoo
05-15-2011, 09:07
Scrappy - same here. I live in north Jersey and cross over to Stroudsburg PA to go to Pocono Pistol range. Great place. I get my ammo from the Walmart down the road. They've never asked for ID yet. But once recently I bought ammo in Jersey using a credit card and the vendor used a particular card reader just to track the ammo purchase. This state sucks. I went to the local Dicks Sporting Goods to look at a BB gun for my kid and they wanted to see my FFID card just to let me handle a damned BB gun.

LMFAO @ this state sucks, yep it does lol.

yep it does. And I am Still LMFAOing at the summers eve ****** pic, and it says "Enjoy being a woman", I mean that is the funniest picture ive seen in a year.

bsg1
05-15-2011, 10:05
The last time anyone asked for my ID was to see if I was old enough for the senior citizens discount.

They stopped asking long ago. :embarassed:

they still ask for mine... cause they know it makes my day; the folks at the Goodwill Thrift Store are so good to me. didn't know you shopped there too! :wavey:

MeefZah
05-15-2011, 10:39
I don't get why some people think it's such a big deal to show ID, especially if it has to do with something that involves age restrictions or is for your own protection to prevent identity fraud and theft.

There's a small but vocal contigent of discourteous, simple minded, mouth breathing, paranoid fools who feel that if they display ID, their identity will be noted by the corporate machine suckling on the teat of government, and then when Obama decides to initiate raping of wives and stealing of guns, theirs will be first to get it.

That, and some of these pricks like to think they are "better" than a guy working at Walmart, and what better way to let him know what a worthless peon he is than by disrespecting him when he simply tries to do his job and then bragging about it to their internet buddies.

Eric SF
05-15-2011, 10:52
This is Bloomberg driven. Walmart is a willing partner in Mayors Against Illegal Guns and the Brady Bunch and is the exact reason you shouldn't be shopping there.

G21FAN
05-15-2011, 10:57

Real class act....

No wonder we shooters have a bad rep.

FireForged
05-15-2011, 11:13
If they have a rule that states that they must verify age (each and every time) regardless of how old you may look.. It makes up for someone having to say "well I thought that 17year old was 25", he looks it." Its kinda like the no gun is empty mindset. Its just to prevent mistakes.

gunslinger3
05-15-2011, 11:33
This is Bloomberg driven. Walmart is a willing partner in Mayors Against Illegal Guns and the Brady Bunch and is the exact reason you shouldn't be shopping there.

References???

bug
05-15-2011, 14:04
Some of you guys probably like getting groped by the TSA too.

Ok so you think that a badly run Government Agency that pats down and searches 4yr olds in an attempt to find terrorists.

Is the same as a private company asking for Id before they sell what most folks consider a dangerous product?

Also If you are so upset with the process why do you shop there?

Is a 1$ off a box of WWB 9mm worth compromising your principles?

Why did you cus the girl checking the receipt what will this do?
If you cus out enough 60yr lady's at the door do you think they will change there policy?
Go to a gun shop maybe they wont ask for Id there.
will you use your many years of experience cursing out people who are just trying to get by working at a low paying service jobs to win A case before the Supreme Court?

Its a PRIVATE COMPANYthey can do what they want within the law and asking for your ID is not breaking any laws.
Stop shopping there show them who is boss.

HexHead
05-15-2011, 14:10
If they have a rule that states that they must verify age (each and every time) regardless of how old you may look.. It makes up for someone having to say "well I thought that 17year old was 25", he looks it." Its kinda like the no gun is empty mindset. Its just to prevent mistakes.

What part of "I've been buying ammo there for years and have never been asked before" isn't understood here? My question here was if this was something new they started doing?

Now, the ***** at the door is a completely different issue.

HexHead
05-15-2011, 14:11
Real class act....

No wonder we shooters have a bad rep.

She had no way of knowing what I had in my bags. And it was none of her business.

Sharky7
05-15-2011, 14:16

What a polite mature gentlemen. Representing the gun community well. Way to go

86brick
05-15-2011, 14:18
I've bought a lot of 9mm ammo at Walmart and I've never been asked for my ID although if they did I would gladly show it to them. Can't blame the employees for doing their job.

Sharky7
05-15-2011, 14:33
That receipt checker is someone's Mother, someone's Wife, someone's Sister, someone's Daughter. How would you feel if your wife had to work a minimum wage job to help pay the bills in this economy and now she has to deal with people acting like a jag off to her?

If I was the manager, I would tell you that you are no longer welcome in the store.

BigDaddy118
05-15-2011, 14:42
I once went and bought ammo w/ no problems at the ammo counter, only thing I gave was the money and a smile. A few feet down the aisle, I stop at the Pharmacy counter for some Sudafed only to be told not only would I have to give a valid I.D. but also fill out a FORM with ALOT of info including my D.O.B Address & SS# and then I had to SIGN it! Very wierd world we live in.

Leigh
05-15-2011, 14:43
What part of "I've been buying ammo there for years and have never been asked before" isn't understood here? My question here was if this was something new they started doing?

What part of "acting like a mature and semi-respectful adult" don't YOU understand?

BTW, you got your answer on page 1.

bug
05-15-2011, 14:44
That receipt checker is someone's Mother, someone's Wife, someone's Sister, someone's Daughter. How would you feel if your wife had to work a minimum wage job to help pay the bills in this economy and now she has to deal with people acting like a jag off to her?

If I was the manager, I would tell you that you are no longer welcome in the store.

My wife once was called a whore because the Lottery Machine would not accept a card that was not filled out properly by the guy who called her that.

only a very small minded person swears at some poor woman just trying to get by...

glock2740
05-15-2011, 15:01
Hmmm...Wal-Mart can ask to see your ID to buy ammo, but the obama administration sues the state of Arizona for asking for, enforcing a federal law BTW, ID of people who have been pulled over, for get this, breaking a law, which got them pulled over in the first place. :dunno:Seems kinda out of whack to me.

3rdCoastGlock
05-15-2011, 15:20

Dude, your'e on a gun site filled with tin foil hat wearing people who stockpile ammo and they are all telling you to chill out. What has the world done to you to turn you into such a jackass? Nobody likes people who are rude and incosiderate to strangers... nobody. Your'e not cool, or tough, or a rebel, your'e just a jackass.

ScrappyDoo
05-15-2011, 15:52
Summers Eve ****** -- ENJOY Being A Woman!

Christian944
05-15-2011, 15:55
Thread Starter is a moron, carry on.

JohnnyK221
05-15-2011, 16:01
Thread Starter is a moron, carry on.

:rofl:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

FireForged
05-15-2011, 16:06

I thought the question was rhetorical, oh well.

Brucev
05-15-2011, 16:11

The Wal-Mart in my area does not require I.D.

Personally if I were working at the door of a Wal-Mart with the responsibility to look at receipts and a customer "barked" at me and refused to show their receipt, I'd simply pick up the phone and call 911... report a possible theft and let the customer explain themselves to the nice police officer. If that customer never again came to the store, it would be no loss. After all, such people don't need to be trying to do business in a store if they object to the policies of that store. Then need to be adult enough to go elsewhere. If they go in the store, they have to accept the policies of that store for doing business. After all, they don't walk in and demand that the retailer take Canadian currency rather than U.S. currency just because they have some leftover bills from their last trip above the border.

MeefZah
05-15-2011, 16:15
After all, they don't walk in and demand that the retailer take Canadian currency rather than U.S. currency just because they have some leftover bills from their last trip above the border.

Well, he wouldn't cross the border... after all, they also require ID. And the CBP officers would likely take a dim view of him "barking" at them and crossing anyway...

ggarciatx
05-16-2011, 09:43
by her doing this, it could keep ammo out of the wrong hands? Imagine some "bangers" or another Tuscon shooter (he was denied at the first Wal-Mart) try buying ammo; that in the overall "Butterfly Effect" of things could be possibly used against you.
I have seen the lady at my Wal-Mart deny ammo to some seedy looking and underage characters. While I am sure they will probably get it somewhere else, I know it probably foiled their plans for a few minutes that could affect the outcome somewhere else.
Sure you are legal to own, but how about the guy behind you scoping you out and seeing you buy ammo and then following you home. Imagine if she did not ID him and sold him ammo.

Mike357S
05-16-2011, 10:28
The Wal-Mart in my area does not require I.D.

Personally if I were working at the door of a Wal-Mart with the responsibility to look at receipts and a customer "barked" at me and refused to show their receipt, I'd simply pick up the phone and call 911... report a possible theft and let the customer explain themselves to the nice police officer. If that customer never again came to the store, it would be no loss. After all, such people don't need to be trying to do business in a store if they object to the policies of that store. Then need to be adult enough to go elsewhere. If they go in the store, they have to accept the policies of that store for doing business. After all, they don't walk in and demand that the retailer take Canadian currency rather than U.S. currency just because they have some leftover bills from their last trip above the border.

And treating every customer as a common thief is a piss poor way to do business. But then again, we are discussing Walmart here, and their name and piss poor generally go hand in hand, don't they? Also, I have noticed it seems receipt checking is done more based on the color of skin (versus that of the checker), which is all the more reason I refuse to do it. I have seen people in front of me (with skin color similar to that of the checker at the time) be allowed to go through without pause, and then they try to stop me. I don't think so. All I say is "no thanks" and move on. So, not only am I indirectly accused of being a thief, but also being discriminated against, and I'm supposed to be cool with that? Wow, Walmart thinks highly of me as a customer don't they? Sorry if I don't think to highly of them or their so called "policies" if you call discrimination a policy.

But being the "ever concerned for walmart" employee that you would be, go ahead and call 911, it wouldn't stop me, because I have nothing to hide. Be sure you get my car tag also, because they'll need to visit the house, as I'm not hanging around. And BTW, I am "adult enough" to shop elsewhere whenever possible (which is 99% of the time), as Wallyworld is always a last resort option. For the most part, I can't stand Walmart, for a thousand reasons and would rather patronize businesses who do NOT go out of their way to treat me as a theif or discriminate just because I have entered their holy ground.

Seems to me Walmart's policy could be simply defined as "guilty until proven innocent." Gee, what could possibly be wrong with that?

Akil8290
05-16-2011, 19:33
Mine always has.

Toorop
05-17-2011, 00:35

He makes all of us gunowners look good. I am sure her reaction to his cussing at her has made her more pro-gun. It is good to know people like this man are armed and walking about.

TalkToTheGlock
05-17-2011, 09:01
Is it really that big of a deal? That should be the least of our worries right now with what's leading the country.

HexHead
05-17-2011, 09:14
He makes all of us gunowners look good. I am sure her reaction to his cussing at her has made her more pro-gun. It is good to know people like this man are armed and walking about.

First of all, how would she know I'm a gun owner? Second, the last thing in the world I care about is what others perceptions are. I'm armed to protect myself. Period. Not to be a good will ambassador.

HexHead
05-17-2011, 09:17
Is it really that big of a deal? That should be the least of our worries right now with what's leading the country.

Well, yeah. With the asshat we have "leading the country" right now, the last thing I want to do is show ID to buy ammo. At least the clerk only looked to see that it wasn't an "under-21" license, and not enter my DL number into their computer system.

pmcjury
05-17-2011, 09:26
I was in walmart the other day with my brother in law, who was buying some ammo. Not only did they check his ID, they made him show his pistol permit and checked to make sure he had pistol listed in the caliber that he was buying.

I was like WTF???

Bruce M
05-17-2011, 09:41
. Not to be a good will ambassador.

Some of us do not have to worry in the least about being a good will ambassador. However we all can suffer those effects, when some among us are not good will ambassadors.

RMD
05-17-2011, 12:21
Bought thousands of rounds from the local Walmarts over the last few years and have never been asked how old I was or to show ID.

swinokur
05-17-2011, 12:26
I'm guessing that like alcohol, if there is no doubt about your age, they don't ask you.

Cheytac
05-17-2011, 12:27

Are you always that rude to everyone? :faint:

Cheytac
05-17-2011, 12:32
She had no way of knowing what I had in my bags. And it was none of her business.

It is the persons job at the door to know that what is in the bag is paid for. :dunno:

Bilbo Bagins
05-17-2011, 12:43
Walmart knows everything about you. When you buy ammo, what food you eat, and when you touch yourself. Resistance is futile.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=817598767619&id=18244212914fa2fa51d99a08418a4fd0&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.exhibit5a.com%2fimages%2fblog%2fwalmart_watching.jpg

http://www.conspiracycards.com/Cards/Wal_Mart_ConspiracyCards.jpg

pipedreams
05-17-2011, 12:45
I was in walmart the other day with my brother in law, who was buying some ammo. Not only did they check his ID, they made him show his pistol permit and checked to make sure he had pistol listed in the caliber that he was buying.

I was like WTF???
And what state would that be??

Vance665
05-17-2011, 12:54
I don't even look 21 (even though I'm 27) and they have only asked for my ID a few times. Never checked my reciept though.

mdfd
05-17-2011, 14:18
Once in a great while someone new at the ammo counter will read off the cash register, "will the ammo be used in a handgun?".
I usually tell them it will be used in a machine gun.
When they look at me surprised I tell them, "the next question is, are you over 21?". "Please ask me if I'm over 21" (I'm 73)
Then usually we laugh about it.

Most clerks don't even know why they have to ask you these questions and most old clerks don't ask you if you are obviously way over 21.

lol! this happened to me too! When he asked me if this would be used in a handgun or rifle I had to take a second look at the ammo b/c I thought I picked up the wrong boxes from the shelf! lol....
Now I know it's just something they read off as a matter of procedure. FWIW, we had a good laugh about it, even after I showed him my ID. It's not a big deal to me, and I'm 41...
I get asked to see my receipt about 50% of the time when I walk out of Walmart. Since I have nothing to hide I never really thought it was a big deal and they were just doing their job...

to the OP - have you seen those Liberty Mutual Insurance commercials on TV? You know the ones where someone witnesses another person doing a good deed for a stranger, and then in turn does a good deed for another? And before you know it becomes viral and the number of folks doing good deeds spread?

Well think about what you did to the unsuspecting Walmart employee probably trying to get by making a humble living. Perhaps she is having a hard time trying to make ends meet...maybe a single mom or someone whose well-being and actions affect others dependant on her.....what might you be spreading?

CD1967
05-17-2011, 15:49
She was no older than me. :rofl:

How old are you?

nastytrigger
05-17-2011, 16:08
I haven't been asked to see ID from the elderly gentlemen that works at the sporting goods at the Wally World I frequent in awhile. He knows me.

I've bought at different Wal-Mart's and they ask to see my ID. I thought it was just to prove that I was over 21? I'm 27. I feel like McLovin, "Makes me feel young again."

http://b21wineblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/mclovin-fake-id.png

Glacken
05-17-2011, 16:13
Haven't bought ammo at Walmarts recently. In the past they would ask whether it was for a rifle or handgun. I usually said that it was for a rifle. If the clerk seemed innocent, I sometimes said it was for a shotgun.

CaptTurbo
01-26-2012, 11:22
As a shareholder, I'm pleased to hear that WMT is behaving prudently and responsibly.

Jonh L
01-26-2012, 11:30
I was told by one sales person that it is up to the manager if they ask for id.I have 2 walmarts close by 1 ask's for id but they both ask if it's for a hand gun.

tampashooters
01-26-2012, 11:34
As a shareholder, I'm pleased to hear that WMT is behaving prudently and responsibly.

Seriously? :rofl:

If it's a law to check ID, then alright. If it's not a law, then they are losing sales to upset customers, which as a shareholder, you should be upset.

As a shareholder in Boston Beer Company, I am thrilled that the economy is in the dumps... Invest in beer, it's always a winner, and they have a reason to check ID.

CaptTurbo
01-26-2012, 11:39
A lawsuit for selling ammo to an under-aged moron costs much more then would ever be lost in sales.

I also invest in beer (HOOK). Sold half for a triple and hold the rest. Burp. ;)

Glockdude1
01-26-2012, 11:42
I have 2 walmarts close by 1 ask's for id but they both ask if it's for a hand gun.

Look left, right, then look them right in the eye, "It's for a machinegun......"

:supergrin:

cowboy1964
01-26-2012, 11:43
You are giving up your 4th amendment rights without even blinking. Really?

If you think showing a receipt on your way out of a store is an "unreasonable search" then stop going there. I won't even bring up the point that the 4th applies to governmental entities, not private ones (yes, I know the 4th doesn't state that explicitly but that's the legal interpretation to date). In the same way that the 2nd amendment doesn't give one the right to bear arms (or arm bears) on private property if it's against the property owner's wishes.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/search-seizure-criminal-law-30183.html

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv161/dartfrog_bucket/the-right-to-arm-bears-demotivation.jpg

glock_collector
01-26-2012, 11:46
Check my ID, no problem...Jack my ars at the door cause you think I stole something and you will bruise my elbow with your face.... Any questions?

Ace90
01-26-2012, 12:31
I work at a Walmart in the sporting goods and its policy to ask for id if they think your under 40. Heck I've been asked to show my receipt after I got off and I'm wearing khaki pants and a blue shirt. What's the problem unless someone is firing what's the big hurry it takes two seconds, and you won't look like an jack wagon.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Syclone538
01-26-2012, 12:34
This thread reminds me to demagnetize my license.

codecowboy
01-26-2012, 12:42
I about clubbed the guy behind the ammo counter in Wal-Mart. He asked to see my ID and I handed it to him. I didn't have a problem with that. Then he swiped the magnetic strip through the cash register. This of course ties my drivers license with the purchase. OH $#@% NO!!!!!

Since that day I have only paid cash and if they ask to see my ID I hold it up for them. If legally able to buy ammo that is all they need to know.

YtownGlock
01-26-2012, 12:47
Here in Northeast Ohio, the WalMarts in this area have been asking for ID for quite sometime now. It's no big deal really. I've heard horror stories of WalMarts across the country restricting buyers to two boxes of ammo which is utter b.s. if you ask me. I've come out of WalMart with a little around a dozen boxes at times and I have never had BATFE or anyone else come knocking on my door.

RightGlock1
01-26-2012, 12:52
Six pages of more Wal-mart greeter smack downs......
I buy ammo at Wal-Marts in my area. I show my ID. Big flippin' deal. They are covering their assets. Greeter is getting paid to do a job.
I bet that the majority of the morons that cuss the greeters would have an attack if someone talked to them that way at their work place. Go off crying to the boss or better yet, pull their Mall Ninja stick and beat the crap out of them. Get over it. They need to work in most cases. Respect them and treat them like you'd like to be treated, DB's.

IGotIt
01-26-2012, 12:53
I think some of you should go to.....

happyguy
01-26-2012, 12:56
It's probably because they don't trust their employee's to do their job correctly.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Leigh
01-26-2012, 13:00
Six pages of more Wal-mart greeter smack downs......
I buy ammo at Wal-Marts in my area. I show my ID. Big flippin' deal. They are covering their assets. Greeter is getting paid to do a job.
I bet that the majority of the morons that cuss the greeters would have an attack if someone talked to them that way at their work place. Go off crying to the boss or better yet, pull their Mall Ninja stick and beat the crap out of them. Get over it. They need to work in most cases. Respect them and treat them like you'd like to be treated, DB's.

If it's worth sayin' once....

Every section of society has its share of morons & idiots...and more than a few replies to this thread only confirm it. :upeyes:

Roundabout136
01-26-2012, 13:22
Last time I was there they scanned my ID through the computer and asked me if it was for a handgun or a rifle.

I didn't think much of it at the time.....but now I am. Why would they need either of those pieces of information?

NeverMore1701
01-26-2012, 14:32
I had to show ID the last couple of times I've bought windshield wiper fluid at Wal-Mart. The hell is up with that?

bug
01-26-2012, 14:49
Check my ID, no problem...Jack my ars at the door cause you think I stole something and you will bruise my elbow with your face.... Any questions?

Right!!! OF COURSE perfect, so your going to elbow the old Lady/man handicapped person in the face who says stop when the buzzer goes off.

Did you make the this video?

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397156

good advice on how to take care of some receipt checking ruffians

Classy!

Syclone538
01-26-2012, 15:06
Last time I was there they scanned my ID through the computer and asked me if it was for a handgun or a rifle.

I didn't think much of it at the time.....but now I am. Why would they need either of those pieces of information?

If it's for a handgun you have to be 21, rifle is 18. Even if you are getting 9mm for a carbine, or 5.56 for a handgun.

Pretty sure swiping it just shows the age, but I'm not 100% on that. I've seen gas stations do it for beer.

USDefender
01-26-2012, 15:22
I don't get why some people think it's such a big deal to show ID...

They ask you for ID so what BIG DEAL

The 'big deal' is that they don't just stop at asking for ID. When the clerk looks at your i.d., he or she then puts your info into the computer to record what ammo you bought, what kind of weapon it's for, for whomever to read... The fact is, it's nobody's d***** business what, if anything I just bought at Walmart, if I don't want them to know... I don't mind 'showing' I.D. at all, but I DO mind having my information recorded along with my ammo purchase and what sort of weapon it's for.

My local Wally World use to do that, then they had a change of managers and it stopped. I think it's a choice on the part of the local magement, personally.

I'd stopped buying ammo from them completely until I realized they don't do that anymore. Still, though, I got out of the habit of buying it there, and into the habit of supporting my LGS by buying theirs.

Serves the Wallizers right... :okie:

Exact-o-mundo. Why, indeed.

Airborne Infantryman
01-26-2012, 15:47

...then you'll face a felony assault charge (depending on the state), and you won't have to worry about you having to buy ammo ever again....your a real "tough guy", aren't ya? :upeyes:

CrookCounty
01-26-2012, 15:50
So stop shopping there.:dunno:

HELL NO....cheapest ammo anywhere :supergrin:

CrookCounty
01-26-2012, 15:51
...then you'll face a felony assault charge (depending on the state), and you won't have to worry about you having to buy ammo ever again....your a real "tough guy", aren't ya? :upeyes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

CrookCounty
01-26-2012, 15:52
I had to show ID the last couple of times I've bought windshield wiper fluid at Wal-Mart. The hell is up with that?

She just wanted to know where your sexy butt lives....dont be surprised when the doorbell rings.....

NeverMore1701
01-26-2012, 16:23
She just wanted to know where your sexy butt lives....dont be surprised when the doorbell rings.....

That ever happens, I'll be damn glad for all the ammo I bought at Wal-Mart!

:rofl::rofl:

jimmymac25
01-26-2012, 17:17
When I was a kid, I could buy all the porn, smokes and ammo I could carry.:cool:

No questions asked.

Of course it wasn't from WM.

ca survivor
01-26-2012, 17:21

you know that Sam's and WalMart is the same company right ?

MattyIce
01-26-2012, 17:26
I live in a gun friendly state, but everytime the ammo is scanned at walmart it asks the cashier to check ID. It just depends on which cashier is there, but I get carded probably 50% of the time. It isn't an inconvenience. I love when people get upset about showing ID and use the excuse "what if I didnt have it on me?" Well, without your ID you shouldn't have been in your car driving to walmart in the first place.

wrenrj1
01-26-2012, 18:46
you know that Sam's and WalMart is the same company right ?

I don't think that was the point of the poster, but it does beg the question of why walmart would check a receipt, which is not the norm across all walmarts.

This begs the question (not to hijack), has anyone strolled right by the Sam's Club receipt checker lately? If so, what happened? I'm really tempted to do so.

Jade Falcon
01-26-2012, 18:59
Are you sure you're old enough to buy handgun ammo? By the looks of your post, you don't act like it.

carloglock19
01-26-2012, 19:11
They ask to see ID for spray paint too if you're lucky enough to look under 21. What is the big deal. I don't want kids buying ammo and doing something stupid to cause the rest of us more greif. Same with spray paint.

Funny you mention that. I was with my youngest at WM buying some spray paint for one of his projects and he happened to take the items out of the cart and placed them on the counter and the clerk said you can't buy that and I said he is with me and then she asked me for ID. Funny I thought I can buy a whole shelf worth of ammo and not get carded but buy spray paint for my minor son and I get carded. OP you only get one chance to make a 1st impression with a walmart ticket person!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

banger
01-26-2012, 19:20

Do like I do....

Tell them that I am an Illegal immigrant, and don't have any I.D..

Paul53
01-26-2012, 19:22
Always ask here in El Paso. Just figured they wanted to know if the ammo was staying on US soil.

OP: concerned about people with hair trigger tempers having guns.