AR Mag Issues [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR Mag Issues

Coltlover
05-14-2011, 19:41
Just received two Brownell AR mags yesterday & used them today. While wiping them down with a little Rem Oil after use today, I noticed the finish wiping off on the clean paper towel. Also noticed this w/2 Colt mags that I have never used today, doing the same thing. I did not use the Colt mags today, they are still new. Also w/the Colts, they are 30rd mags, was unable to put more than 26 in & noted inside the mag a coating of some kind. For a lack of a better word, mold/corrosion? Plus the green follower would get stuck several times when unloading that mags. No problems w/other AR mags I have. Anyone else experience this? Can a AR mag be disassembled easily? Both the Colt & Brownell have identical bottom construction.

Gunnut 45/454
05-14-2011, 20:59
Yes you can take the plate off the bottom of the mag and disassemble it ! Clean it inside and wipe the spring down withan oily rag. If the finish disturbs you wipe the mag shell down with rubbing alcohol then get a good quality paint and paint them again!:faint:

Coltlover
05-14-2011, 21:14
Thank you. How do you disassemble the mag?

JBaird22
05-14-2011, 22:06
Keep in mind, those mags are aluminum. Magazine followers are a very slow moving part and require NO lubrication. Putting anything oily/sticky/wet in there will attract crud that you do not want in your mags. So get the Rem Oil away from your mags. There are bigger things to worry about.

zhix
05-15-2011, 00:50
Insert a punch or something similar in the hole in the floorplate, pry up very slightly and push it off(in the direction of the end the hole is in). Just be careful not to bend the floorplate or break the small tab parts of the mag body, and keep in mind the spring is under some tension.

I once had an out of spec. Colt mag that wouldn't even fit in the magwell

mvician
05-15-2011, 00:51
The finish that is wiping off is dry film lubricant......it is not a permanent finish.

ArmaGlock
05-15-2011, 01:21
Have you ever tried PMags?

cjs83
05-15-2011, 03:36
Have you ever tried PMags?

Pmags are the bees knees. I have them and didnt even bother with the factory mags.

Fabius
05-15-2011, 07:53
Buy a few PMags. I have 20 and 30 round versions. They load to full capacity easily, lock into the magwell easily below a closed bolt and the followers are 100% non-tilt. You can't make the follower tilt even if you try.

mmerrill64
05-15-2011, 07:58
Spend a couple bucks more and try a couple of Pmags. You will never buy another aluminum or steel mag for your AR!

Glockdude1
05-15-2011, 08:05
Pmags are the bees knees. I have them and didnt even bother with the factory mags.

:thumbsup:

MajorD
05-15-2011, 09:06
the finish on most aluminum ar mags is pretty thin and easily worn off. Most all my USGI mags are shiny and look almost stainless at this point (living in NY can only have pre-bans so pmags are not an option) disassembly and cleaning your mags periodically is important especially since the direct impingement gas system of the ar tends to dump some powder residue into the mag area. Also it is not unusual for new mags to need some breaking in to smooth out.

Coltlover
05-15-2011, 10:17
Thanks guys. And yes, along w/the Brownells, I ordered a Pmag w/them. Like it.