Subsonic ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Subsonic ammo

ronin.45
05-14-2011, 21:10
I should be getting my sparrow soon. I need to get some subsonic .22s. What do you folks like? Does anyone make plated subsonics? I like plated bullets just for cleanup.

Thanks

chemcmndr
05-14-2011, 22:51
What host are you going to be using for your Sparrow? If it's a handgun, I wouldn't worry about subsonics, to be honest. I've tried Remington Subsonics in my TAC 65 on a Walther P22 and have had no audible difference from the CCI mini mags or Federal bulk packs. If you were using a rifle as a host, subsonics might be beneficial. I would look at CCI subsonics. I can't remember if they had a copper plating on them or not.

8th SPS USAF
05-15-2011, 10:12
I have a YHM Mite and tried Rem subs, at about $3.25ish per box. Then tried
CCI standard vel at about $2.25 box. CCI much better for less money and worked with both my 10/22 w/Mite and Sig 220 22 conv w/Mite

1gewehr
05-15-2011, 10:23
I like the Remington Standard Velocity Target. Very consistent velocity and it's subsonic from all my .22s.

ronin.45
05-15-2011, 11:22
The hosts are a MKII and a 10/22. I figured the MKII will be subsonic with standard velocity and bulk. The 10/22 is what I was thinking about for subs. I don't use Remington rimfire at all because they use a very soft lead that fouls too much. I appreciate the input so far. I'll probably end up shooting plated bulk pack mostly. I'll get some CCI standard velocity and subs to try out.

r2kba
05-15-2011, 12:01
I should be getting my sparrow soon. I need to get some subsonic .22s. What do you folks like? Does anyone make plated subsonics? I like plated bullets just for cleanup.

Thanks

Look for standard-velocity ammo. CCI makes it. Most of the time, this ammo is subsonic anyways and is cheaper than subsonic specific ammo.

ronin.45
05-15-2011, 13:46
I just did some more searching and found CCI Subsonic Segmented HP. It is basically the Quik-Shok segmented round that's been around for years, but they made it 40gr to stay around 1050fps. It gets good accuracy reports and the segmented HP is very lethal on critters. Add in the copper plating and I think I have a winner.

BirdDog239
05-15-2011, 16:05
Federal Bulk will stay subsonic out of my Buckmark with 5.5 inch barrel if the temperature is warm. Federal Bulk always goes supersonic out of my Savage Mark II 16 inch barrel. I have not found any plated 22 that will stay subsonic with my rifle.

I have had good luck with CCI Standard, CCI Subsonic, Fiocci 340, Fiocci 320 and Remington Target. None of these are plated.

Fireman1291
05-20-2011, 20:47
I just did some more searching and found CCI Subsonic Segmented HP. It is basically the Quik-Shok segmented round that's been around for years, but they made it 40gr to stay around 1050fps. It gets good accuracy reports and the segmented HP is very lethal on critters. Add in the copper plating and I think I have a winner.

You found some in stock? If so, please share. I havent been able to find it. This would work great on armadillos. This way I can stop using my 147 SXT's.

The standard HP sub .22's dont provide a quick humane kill.

BK63
05-22-2011, 12:26
I have been using Remington subsonics for years but in my 22 rifle. I do a lot of squirrel hunting in the fall/winter and don't like to alert everybody within 5 miles where I am. They are very quiet in a rifle but in the MKII I have it doesn't seem to make a difference.

ronin.45
05-22-2011, 14:15
You found some in stock? If so, please share. I havent been able to find it. This would work great on armadillos. This way I can stop using my 147 SXT's.

The standard HP sub .22's dont provide a quick humane kill.

I got 1,000 of them off of gunbroker. Like $122 shipped.
LG outdoors is the seller. Seems to be reasonable for specialty ammo.

I don't care for CCIs new packaging. I miss the plastic boxes.