Some questions about ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about ammo

Tebow
05-15-2011, 10:13
My experience shooting guns in a nutshell,

I've been shooting less than 10 times in my life. (Will be 21 this June) I've shot my friend"s Glock 21 & Glock 19. And my uncle's Glock 26. I put about 50-75 rounds through each.

It was a real "goldilocks", 21 was too big, 26 too small. 19 was perfect. I'm planning on purchasing a 19 when I can. I intend to use it as my CCW, home defense and competition pistol.

When I knew I wanted a Glock 19, I picked up a plastic blue training gun at a gun show. I know it isn't the real weight but I've been using a couple of my friends holsters to get used to carrying, drawing and getting on sight. It's not the real thing but I'm taking it step by step.

When it comes to picking a self defense ammo, I have no clue what's good and what isn't.

My question is could you give me a brief explanation on what "grain" and "+p" mean? And a few types of 9mm ammo for self defense you personally prefer.

I've been an info sponge lately, so any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mas Ayoob
05-15-2011, 20:49
Sounds as if you're on a smooth, progressive track. Unsolicited advice: get good training early. Anyone from my generation can tell you that training was virtually non-existent for most private citizens when we got started, and if we'd had the training opportunities then that exist now, we all would have gained more skill sooner and saved ourselves re-inventing the wheel and wasting a lot of ammo on developing less efficient shooting habits.

As to what you did ask for: "grains" is the measurement for bullet weight. In the Glock 19 you're thinking about (excellent choice, by the way), you're looking at 9mm Parabellum (a.k.a. 9mm Luger, 9 X19). Bullet weights can range lighter or heavier, but mainstream ammunition in this caliber generally runs 115 grains to 147 grains, the lighter being faster and the heavier being slower.

Ballistics tables are available online from all the makers, large and small alike.

The "+P" designation essentially means added Power or added Performance (both in terms of higher velocity), but also added Pressure, which you Glock can handle with no problem.

You asked about my personal choices. For competition with a 9mm, for the last few years I've used mainly 147 grain subsonic full metal jacket (very mild recoil, very accurate); for practice sessions, 115 grain generic full metal jacket (generally the most economical); and for personal defense, usually a 124 grain +P or 127 grain +P+ JHP (jacketed hollow point), each rated for 1250 feet per second.

Best of luck in your shooting future,

Mas