OC decon advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OC decon advice

UrbanOps
05-15-2011, 13:52
I graduate the academy in 4 days. On Tuesday, we will be getting sprayed. Any advice on decon? I've heard of Dawn, Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo or whole milk help with some people.

I know it's going to suck BAD and I'm probably going to scream like a girl, but does anything help?

OXCOPS
05-15-2011, 14:33
Baby shampoo and water. Nothing will take the hurt away completely, but that seems to be the easiest remedy.

Running cold water, sitting in front of a fan, etc. Those help. When drying off, do NOT rub. Blot your skin.

When showering again after training, do NOT let water run from your face down your body. The shower will reactivate any dried OC, which will run down and fry your balls.

UrbanOps
05-15-2011, 14:43
This may sound like a stupid question, but do you rub the shampoo on your face, mix it with water in a spray bottle or...?

golls17
05-15-2011, 14:43
Baby shampoo and water. Nothing will take the hurt away completely, but that seems to be the easiest remedy.

Running cold water, sitting in front of a fan, etc. Those help. When drying off, do NOT rub. Blot your skin.

When showering again after training, do NOT let water run from your face down your body. The shower will reactivate any dried OC, which will run down and fry your balls.

All of this.

Also, run the water straight up into your eye and fall straight back down. Don't put your head sideways and run the water from the top. The OC will just go from one eye to the other.

ETA: The water will be your best friend, but don't spend too much time in it. Your eye lids may start cracking. We had one guy that spent a good 15-20 minutes in the water and started shivering uncontrollably.

It sucks leaving the water, but there should be a fan nearby. Get to that and move on.

golls17
05-15-2011, 14:44
This may sound like a stupid question, but do you rub the shampoo on your face, mix it with water in a spray bottle or...?

I blotted the shampoo right onto my face, eyes open and all. Worked pretty well.

Dragoon44
05-15-2011, 15:51
Well I don't think you can them to eat the stuff straight up gonna have to bake it into cookies or somethin.

wait.. this is not about decon and OC? oops, my bad.

:embarassed:

Vigilant
05-15-2011, 16:04
If you can get a spray bottle and fill it with cool water, that helps after the hose. That, and the fan. The main thing is, don't panic as some do. Just ride it out. It will pass.

bccop
05-15-2011, 16:24
Have a long hot shower afterwards...... :tbo:

Vigilant
05-15-2011, 16:31
Have a long hot shower afterwards...... :tbo:

Yes, and make sure the water runs off your face, and all down the front of you.... :supergrin:

UrbanOps
05-15-2011, 18:58
Thanks guys. I will try the baby shampoo. On a side note, does the decon spray/wipes work that they sell at the cop shops? One of our instructors said not to waste our money on that as being OC'd "isn't that bad".

Cochese
05-15-2011, 19:01
Being OC'd either, "it's that bad" or it is hell on earth.

I had a medical reaction to it everytime I got sprayed. The first time was the worst with Fox 5.3 in the academy.

There is a generic soap sold at Wal*Mart, called "Milk and Honey."

It is Equate brand, IIRC. It was able to stop the burn.

ETA linky:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Moisturizing-Hand-Soap-Milk-Honey-64-fl-oz/10534018

Panzergrenadier1979
05-15-2011, 19:09
You need to force your eyes open and get fresh air running over them to dissipate the OC. Use your CLEAN and UNCONTAMINATED thumbs and forefingers to hold your eyelids open and then, if you're allowed to, start running laps to get the air flowing over your exposed eyeballs.

Have you been tased yet?

UrbanOps
05-15-2011, 20:12
You need to force your eyes open and get fresh air running over them to dissipate the OC. Use your CLEAN and UNCONTAMINATED thumbs and forefingers to hold your eyelids open and then, if you're allowed to, start running laps to get the air flowing over your exposed eyeballs.

Have you been tased yet?

We won't be getting tased. I would much rather be tased than OC'd.

Thanks, Cochese. I will try that soap.

blueiron
05-15-2011, 23:09
Don't waste your cash buying commercial decon products.

Just use water, forced air, and keep shower run off away from below the waist - OC seems to be magnetically drawn to sensitive tissue regions.

Chowser
05-16-2011, 00:49
oh and if you gotta go pee, make sure you wash your hands real good first!

if you've had a spicy diet growing up, it won't be so bad.

what does your oc training involve? we have to get sprayed in the face, then run a short distance and fight for a few minutes.
then we can decon.

also, baby shampoo works for me.

G_34
05-16-2011, 02:05
Get outta the water as soon as you get all the oc off. Get away from the fan ASAP. Run laps with your eyes open to get some air to them. The hose makes you feel like youre drowning, just stay calm and breathe.

glockurai
05-16-2011, 02:12
Rinse your eyes with running water. One you get the burning sensation out of your eyes you'll be good to go.

Goldendog Redux
05-16-2011, 02:15
OC is teh suck. Come near me with that crap and I shove that can up your backside and duct tape you shut.

MF

VinVega
05-16-2011, 04:59
I suggest screaming. Really, nothing helps, so scream. If the instructor tells you to stop screaming, tell him to piss off, you just got O.C.'d.

kgwld1
05-16-2011, 06:41
All good advice but can't stress this enough cold cold water keeps the pores from opening lot worse with hot water and get it out of your hair also. Then ask thank you sir may I have another.....

Panzergrenadier1979
05-16-2011, 06:43
We won't be getting tased. I would much rather be tased than OC'd.

I tend to be the minority with this one:

I'll take OC, any day, rain or shine, over being tased again. Screw that.

DaBigBR
05-16-2011, 08:59
I say it in every one of these threads.

Air + Time = Relief.

That's it. If you want to cool the burn a bit, soak a hand towel, wring it out some, and lay it on your face for short periods.

Spydermonkey
05-16-2011, 16:29

Just stick your head into the tub/shower and wash that way when you get home. If you get in and lean back your balloon knot is in peril.

siblueg
05-16-2011, 19:23
A way to forget about the pain in your eyes/face is spray it on your balls.

UrbanOps
05-17-2011, 08:28
Today is the day. Doing it with stomach flu and all. Took the POST test yesterday and should have the results this afternoon.

Already feeling the burn...

MeefZah
05-17-2011, 08:31
A way to forget about the pain in your eyes/face is spray it on your balls.

...and rectum.

Rectum? Damn near killed 'um!

UrbanOps
05-17-2011, 08:37
...and rectum.

Pretty much have that covered with the stomach flu!!! :tongueout:

Panzergrenadier1979
05-17-2011, 08:48
Today's the big day isn't it?

An after-action report should be pending. If he can see the computer screen that is.....:supergrin:

UrbanOps
05-17-2011, 08:59
Today's the big day isn't it?

An after-action report should be pending. If he can see the computer screen that is.....:supergrin:

If you're lucky I may even post a video!

DaBigBR
05-17-2011, 09:11
...and rectum.

Somehow the word "rectum" came up at the end of a sentence spoken by an instructor in my academy class. Some unknown voice managed to get out a "damn near killed 'em" before the instructor started talking again. It was hilarious.

Hunca Munca
05-17-2011, 13:29

Follow this advice for the first FEW showers you take, not just the first one after the "OC experience".

You don't want to get complacent the next morning and end up with "foreskin flambe..."

:whistling:

UrbanOps
05-17-2011, 15:40
Not gonna lie, it sucked out loud! Not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be though. The worst part was he swept my face and it went up my nose. I had my eyes open in 15 mins or so. My skin is just on fire now, like a BAD sunburn. A buddy is going to upload the video to youtube and I will link it this evening.

What works:
Baby Shampoo: Most effective
Dawn: Helped some, but not others
Straight water: Made things worse
Milk & Honey Soap: About the same as Dawn
A/C in the truck: AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE! ...had to pull over. Just roll the window down.

It comes down to being outside in the air. Everytime I went back inside to help someone, it lit back up again.

actionshooter10
05-17-2011, 15:45
LOL. If I'd have seen this earlier...

Coke (as in Coca-Cola) and straight lemon juice help a lot.

I've used this multiple times and normally have no burn after 15-20 minutes.

Also would have told you not to shave...lol.

UrbanOps
05-17-2011, 15:54
I will add that we got sprayed with Top Cop. Supposedly it's one of the hottest. http://www.alstechnologies.com/index.php?page=alsoc31

I didn't shave this morning like some did. We have a guy that shaves his head every morning. He's not feeling too well...

UrbanOps
05-17-2011, 18:49
Here is a link to a few of the guys. I am at the very end with the big guy acting as his buddy. Nobody has a video of me being sprayed, I'm sad to say.

The 2nd and 3rd person to get sprayed is with a very healthy dose as you will see.
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRK9BkYaLOA0&h=8ef59

(I should also add that this is not my video, it was linked to me by a buddy in the academy)

siblueg
05-17-2011, 21:14
Looks similar to what I had to do but we had to take the cuffs off too which was a pain in the arse

ZombieKing
05-17-2011, 21:36
When I went through the academy one of the instructors told us it was all BS to use all the stuff everyone says to use.

He said to use baby no tears shampoo to help get as much of it off you as possible. Don't let it run down your shirt towards your groin area. Of course he also said to keep your eyes open and flush them with water.

Go sit down and just wait it out. No running around or fans because none of that works except to prolong any pain you might be feeling.

I took his advice. Fourteenth sprayed third one allowed off the field to change uniforms.

Used the baby shampoo on my face. Flushed out my eyes. Then went and sat down. Had two washcloths. One I used to blow snot into and the other was DAMP with water and I didn't rub it on my face but simply poked, gently, at my face with it when I felt like it. (key word is DAMP not soaked with water)

Don't try to hold any snot or spit in. If you've got to spit then do it. If you've got to blow your nose use the washcloth. Don't worry about being embarrassed. Most of your classmates will be acting the fool with their milk and fans and running around. (I'd swear some of the instructors bring that stuff up just to get a laugh out of the recruits.)

And just sit and wait. Keep your eyes open. You'll be fine.

Oh and when you get in your car... don't turn on the A/C or open your windows. HAHA Instructor didn't tell me about that one. And don't forget that when you take a shower at home that stuff can still reactivate and go down to the family jewels. :D

ZombieKing
05-17-2011, 21:37
Oops looks like you already did it. Dang....Well advice for others then....

Doc8404
05-17-2011, 21:43
air and time.
quit crying (no pun intended)
suck it up.

buddah
05-18-2011, 08:14
Ain't much you can do. I am a O.C Instructor and have been sprayed 4 times not including the academy. We need to be sprayed everytime our certification runs out (every 2 yrs.) It sucks. Just suck it up and take it. It takes me about 45min. before I stop cussing and crying like a *****. Only thing that works for me is time, cool water and a fan. Don't waste $$ on commercial decon products, Don't shave the day before the spray and a hot shower afterwards reactivates the OC. O.C the gift that keeps on giving. I've been CS gassed, Tased and OC sprayed, the O.C is by far the worst out of the 3.

pal2511
05-20-2011, 02:03
Which academy you at? I went to the one in St. Joe about 10 years ago