Crossbreed Vs M-Tac (Retail Store) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Crossbreed Vs M-Tac (Retail Store)

1smoothredneck
05-15-2011, 18:36
My local shop carries the Comp-Tac line with a good selection of M-tacs.
Went to get one today, They didn't have a Glock slide, and was informed the line was to be dropped in favor of the Crossbreed line, due to problems dealing with Comp-tac. I am unclear if this was comp tac, or a distributor...
They were out of the Galco King Tuck....
Sooo... Now I will wait for a few weeks till the changeover is made, and purchase the crossbreed.. I like the idea of a local shop being supported, as well as the availability of any accessories...(they have a full line of extra clips in diff. colors, extra shells, etc...) Hopefully this will continue
with the new line...
Anyone have negative experience with either company?? Not looking for bashing, just real instance of bad CS..
Be Safe

Captains1911
05-15-2011, 18:49
I have problems with both company's, but IMO the MTAC is a far superior holster.

1canvas
05-15-2011, 19:48
i really like my M-Tac. i looked at crossbreed before i bought the M-Tac, the crossbreed looks really ruff.

southern118
05-15-2011, 20:37
i found out for a dealer the biggest problem with mtac it takes them a month or so to get something delievered. where as a customer can order it and can have it in a couple days

IndyGunFreak
05-15-2011, 20:41
I'd wait 3 weeks and pay 3x the price for an M-Tac, before I gave a penny to Crossbreed.

Just my opinion.

I've always had excellent service from Comp-Tac.... Been a while since I had to order from them, but I've never waited more than a week or so.

IGF

F_G
05-15-2011, 20:47
Have a Horsehide Crossbreed for my G26, it's been exceptional for the 2 years I've been using it.

I'd wait 3 weeks and pay 3x the price for an M-Tac, before I gave a penny to Crossbreed.Any specific issues? Poor contruction? Horrible customer service? Allergic reaction?

Captains1911
05-15-2011, 20:51
Have a Horsehide Crossbreed for my G26, it's been exceptional for the 2 years I've been using it.

Any specific issues? Poor contruction? Horrible customer service? Allergic reaction?

owner is a ******?

IndyGunFreak
05-15-2011, 21:27
owner is a ******?

That about sums it up... Search his posts on other forums... The attitude that comes from that guy is amazing. FWIW, I know a lot of folks complain about the crosses on the clips. I personally have no issue with that. Truthfully, if I could get past his attitude, we'd probably find we share similar religious beliefs.. but the way he acts, no way would I ever order from him.

IGF

Edmo01
05-16-2011, 02:53
Between me, the wife, and my son we own 5 different Crossbreed holsters. I've never had any problems with their products or customer service.

Just my experience with Crossbreed. If I am treated poorly or sold a inferior product I move to the next guy, but so far I have been treated great.

Edmo

swinokur
05-16-2011, 06:49
Just an FYI, only the MTAC allows Kydex shells to be swapped.

Captains1911
05-16-2011, 07:26
Just an FYI, only the MTAC allows Kydex shells to be swapped.

And provides adjustability for height and cant, and does not use metal clips that tear up your belt....

Just to keep things fair, I have had issues with Comp-Tac's customer service in the past. However the MTAC works so well for me that I continue to give them business, I guess that makes me the sucker in the end. Oh well.

Judge Roy Bean
05-16-2011, 09:03
+1 on MTAC products.

Was dissapointed when they wanted a dollar in order to provide me with a tracking number.

Nakanokalronin
05-16-2011, 09:18
I've read nothing but good reviews about Crossbreed holsters and am patiently waiting for mine to come. I opted for the horsehide to help with the warmer weather. Whatever the guy's attitude is he is a maker of what seems to be a very popular holster and in the end I am his customer so long as he takes care of me I could care less. In reality the local stores one shops at could be owned by liberal, Obungo loving nazis but you still go there. :tongueout:

I don't need to be on a personal level with the guy, just business.

bigleaf
05-16-2011, 09:25
Diggin' my M-Tac (and my IWB mag holder, and the kydex G34 paddle, and my dual mag holders...) Those folks are great to deal with. And they send candy in every package! What's not to love? Smarties... MMMMMmmmmmmmm.

carloglock19
05-16-2011, 09:26
I have experienced excellent service with Comp-Tac and my MTAC holster is awesome.

RMD
05-16-2011, 09:34
Between me, the wife, and my son we own 5 different Crossbreed holsters. I've never had any problems with their products or customer service.

Just my experience with Crossbreed. If I am treated poorly or sold a inferior product I move to the next guy, but so far I have been treated great.

Edmo

Same here. Very satisfied with product and service so far.

F_G
05-16-2011, 10:07
I'm getting ready to try a holster from this guy, his stuff looks really nice and his prices are very reasonable. http://www.theisholsters.com/ (http://www.theisholsters.com/)

Anybody had any experience with his stuff?

tonyparson
05-16-2011, 10:52
I have experienced excellent service with Comp-Tac and my MTAC holster is awesome.

This /\ /\ and one thing for sure I like better with my MTAC over a crossbreed is the MTAC has retention screws that you can tighten up or loosen if needed. The last crossbreed I owned the gun keep getting loser and loser the older the holster got. I called crossbreed about it and they said to use a hairdryer on it. Well the hairdryer didn't work.

wrangler5
05-16-2011, 11:46
I went through the MTAC/Supertuck decision process a few years ago for my G26 and ended up with the MTAC, in part because of the interchangeable kydex shells (@ half the price of a new holster.) Never did get a different shell, though. Now they've changed the basic holster so that it takes slightly different shells, and they discontinued production of the old style shells. (How hard would it have been to keep those old molds around, and produce an old style shell when an old customer needed one?) So now if I want an MTAC for a new gun I have to buy a whole new holster.

I'm only slightly disappointed. (Every time I think about carrying something other than the G26 I do the analysis, rent one to try, etc. and always end up back at the G26.) And will happily buy another MTAC if I do end up with another carry gun. But thought folks might like to know about this less than attractive factor in CompTac's business practice.

PEC-Memphis
05-16-2011, 12:08
A question for those who have, or have tried, both the M-Tac and the CBST:

. . . . . . Do they both "fit" the same or similar?

I have a CBST and can't seem to find a good position where it is comfortable. When I use it, I usually (end-up) wear(ing) it like a conventional IWB - which is Ok, but not as comfortable as a OWB slide (Glaco M7X).

The M-Tac appears to be finished better - but I think I like the metal clips (on the CBST) better for thinness and durability. I have several Comp-Tac products and they are always nice people to deal with. On the CBST, I had a problem - the owner was kurt/brash - but he did take care of the problem at no charge.

Captains1911
05-16-2011, 12:21
A question for those who have, or have tried, both the M-Tac and the CBST:

. . . . . . Do they both "fit" the same or similar?

I have a CBST and can't seem to find a good position where it is comfortable. When I use it, I usually (end-up) wear(ing) it like a conventional IWB - which is Ok, but not as comfortable as a OWB slide (Glaco M7X).

The M-Tac appears to be finished better - but I think I like the metal clips (on the CBST) better for thinness and durability. I have several Comp-Tac products and they are always nice people to deal with. On the CBST, I had a problem - the owner was kurt/brash - but he did take care of the problem at no charge.

From what I've heard, the metal clips on the CB tend to bend out of shape after a while, I haven't encountered a durability issue with the CTAC clips. Also, the MTAC clips are replaceable if in fact they do break, not sure if the CB clips are.

Cruiser1
05-16-2011, 12:25
I only have personal experience dealing with M-tac and feel that it could have been no better. From placing my order to receiving my holster was 5 days and received several e-mails at each stage of the process including a follow-up checking to how I felt about the holster. It is the most comfortable IWB holster that I have used and would not hesitate recommending them to anyone. If I had ordered the other brand I would still be waiting for it.

Captains1911
05-16-2011, 12:29
I went through the MTAC/Supertuck decision process a few years ago for my G26 and ended up with the MTAC, in part because of the interchangeable kydex shells (@ half the price of a new holster.) Never did get a different shell, though. Now they've changed the basic holster so that it takes slightly different shells, and they discontinued production of the old style shells. (How hard would it have been to keep those old molds around, and produce an old style shell when an old customer needed one?) So now if I want an MTAC for a new gun I have to buy a whole new holster.

I'm only slightly disappointed. (Every time I think about carrying something other than the G26 I do the analysis, rent one to try, etc. and always end up back at the G26.) And will happily buy another MTAC if I do end up with another carry gun. But thought folks might like to know about this less than attractive factor in CompTac's business practice.

The interchangeable shells are somewhat of a sales gimmick IMO, because the leather backing also conforms to the shape of the gun after a while.

PEC-Memphis
05-16-2011, 13:18
From what I've heard, the metal clips on the CB tend to bend out of shape after a while, I haven't encountered a durability issue with the CTAC clips. Also, the MTAC clips are replaceable if in fact they do break, not sure if the CB clips are.

I know a couple of people, other than myself, with the CBST with metal clips and they seem to be holding up pretty well. And they are replaceable with any of three different types of clips.

toddmog
05-16-2011, 13:30

I've been wearing a CBST for two years and haven't had my clips bend at all. As far as them being replaceable, you have to remove them to adjust them for height/cant. As another poster said, you can choose the regular clip, j clip, or velcro clips. I have a friend that even uses comptacs c-clips on his CBST.

rolado
05-16-2011, 13:31
Love my 2 CBST's. By the way they can be purchased through through Midway USA, in stock for many of them.

CyberGlock
05-16-2011, 14:46
I've carried in a Supertuck, but I now carry my P228 in a MTAC. Just a few things I didn't like about the Supertuck were the exposed metal rivets on the back irritated me and the metal clips would bend out of shape. Also when I was told to take a hair dryer to it for retention issues, that sealed it's fate with me. I like the MTAC because I wear a shirt and tie to work and to me it feels more comfortable plus I can use different color clips depending on which color dress belt I wear to the office so I have less of a chance someone noticing the clips on my belt. The interchangeable bodies are a plus.

Golddog
05-16-2011, 14:52
I've worn both for a couple of years - the Crossbreed with a CZ Rami, the M-Tac with various CZ 75's. Neither has caused any problems or suffered any breakage, and both are quite comfortable and easy to draw from. I'd buy both again, if I needed holsters for new guns.

Mudshark100
05-16-2011, 16:18
I have a CrossBreed that I have used for over a year. For me it is very comfortable and hides my G19 better than any other holster I have tired. I like the metal clips, they stay in place, are easy to put on and take off over the belt, and I have had no problems at all with the clips bending. I highly recommend the CrossBreed.

NWGlocker
05-16-2011, 20:00
I have a crossbreed for my SP101 and find myself wearing it a lot due to the comfort and stability of the rig. I was carrying in a Comptac CTAC before that with a G19 and went ahead and ordered a Crossbreed for the G19 as well. Nothing against Comptac. I just found the crossbreed to be very nice. I didn't want to "try" with the MTAC and wish I had gotten the crossbreed instead. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one. They are both quality holsters.

I do however use the comptac spare mag holder and am almost sure I will buy another spare mag/light carrier in the near future.

Crimp
05-17-2011, 08:53
I'm getting ready to try a holster from this guy, his stuff looks really nice and his prices are very reasonable. http://www.theisholsters.com/ (http://www.theisholsters.com/)

I have a Theis holster for my G30 and love it. I ordered it using PayPal and it was in my mailbox three days later. It cost me $60.00 for a horsehide model which already has the "combat cut." The comparative CrossBreed costs almost a hundred and is up to a 6-week wait.

It is so comfortable, I ordered a lefty holster for my Sig P225 yesterday. I got an email this morning that it shipped. As a very satisfied customer, I highly recommend these holsters. You can't go wrong with this holster, guys.

Here's a picture of Tommy Theis' holster from his gallery:
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/750/theisholsters.jpg

BK63
05-17-2011, 18:03
I'm amazed at yet another C/MTAC vs CB thread :supergrin: They are both great holsters. Just depends on your personal opinion.

Buford FZ1
05-19-2011, 10:28
There is an alternative that you could have the same style as the CB from a supporter of the board.

I received one of his holsters last night (Wednesday) and ordered it last Friday.....

Same horse hide leather and I asked him to provide more cant to place the grip of my 3 inch .45 lower in the rig to where just a small portion is visible above the belt-line.

His price is $60 and included shipping I believe without the wait, and you can actually talk to him and discuss what you want. I have a cross bred which was comfortable, but did not provide the 30 degree angle cant that is more comfortable for me.

http://www.theisholsters.com

Plus if you don't like it, you can return it as his website says...But you get to talk to the maker of your holster..

Just my .02

vetmedglock30
05-19-2011, 10:36
I have a C-tac, M-Tac, Appendix, and Infidel. They are all great.
<------------ G30sf in an infidel.

Tommy Hanrahan
05-19-2011, 17:39
I have a C-tac, M-Tac, Appendix, and Infidel. They are all great.

Same here + I have the Gladiator for IPSC and such.
"Super tuck" always sounds to me like something you'd hear from RuPaul.
And why not cover the end of the barrel? I carry at 3:00 to 3:30 and when I bent over or sat down the leather pushed on the exposed barrel forcing the weapon up and out of the holster. Over time the barrel wears a hole in your britches too. Meh, keep it and the silly cross bearing clips it comes with.
I chucked the Inbreed in a dumpster and went Comp-Tac.

Comp-Tac2
05-20-2011, 08:50
And provides adjustability for height and cant, and does not use metal clips that tear up your belt....

Just to keep things fair, I have had issues with Comp-Tac's customer service in the past. However the MTAC works so well for me that I continue to give them business, I guess that makes me the sucker in the end. Oh well.

We are sorry to hear that there have been some customer service issues in the past. If there is anything that we can do to get the previous issue sorted out, just let me know and we'll see what we can do for you. There have been some major overhauls of the office staff and procedures so hopefully that will help out while working with our customers. If there's any specific feedback you'd like to provide in a private message, I can meet with the Team and we'll make sure everyone is aware of what NOT to do. Constructive criticism helps everyone in the end. Thanks!

Comp-Tac2
05-20-2011, 08:57

The Minotaur backing generation upgrades has been something that we're working with as best as possible. Minotaur is a separate company who provides our leather backings; Comp-Tac makes the shells. It's a 50/50 deal that Comp-Tac and Minotaur went in on with the Minotaur Holsters. When Minotaur decided to change the leather backing (they made the sweatshield .25" wider and it threw the hole placement off by roughtly .25") we had to adjust our molds.

We did try making a universal mold so that we could keep the Gen1 bodies around but there's just not a universal formula that we can use to line every make/model pistol up. Since Minotaur discontinued the leather backings we were using to fit the Gen1 bodies on, we were forced to discontinue the Gen1 bodies.

With that said, if you call us up or e-mail Tiffany@Comp-Tac.com and we have proof of your original MTAC purchase, we can issue a 15% off discount of a Gen2 upgrade on an MTAC holster.

Let me know if you have any questions. You can reach me at Tiffany@Comp-Tac.com or Sales@Comp-Tac.com. Our customer service line is 281-209-3040.

Comp-Tac2
05-20-2011, 09:13
My local shop carries the Comp-Tac line with a good selection of M-tacs.
Went to get one today, They didn't have a Glock slide, and was informed the line was to be dropped in favor of the Crossbreed line, due to problems dealing with Comp-tac. I am unclear if this was comp tac, or a distributor...
They were out of the Galco King Tuck....

While this may be a long shot, if you can let me know the dealer in Tennessee that said they quit carrying Comp-Tac products, I'd love to know which company you're referring to so I can contact them and see if there was a miscommunication along the way. There has been a few personnel swaps in the Comp-Tac office and I'd like to get feedback from both our retail customers and our dealers. Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide in this research. :)

Comp-Tac2
05-20-2011, 09:16
+1 on MTAC products.

Was dissapointed when they wanted a dollar in order to provide me with a tracking number.

We are currently working on getting that policy scrapped. Part of our upgrades as a company is to provide better, quicker shipping service. Free tracking numbers is on the top of that list. I'll have a meeting with mgmt about this and see if we can't do anything to change this in the mean time. Thanks!

Kenjones
05-20-2011, 20:43
I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for my G30 and I've been pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it is to wear. I've found the holster much more comfortable, with the G30, than other types of IWB holsters carrying my G27 and G23. No experience with the M-Tac, just my opinion on the CB. I'm considering a CB for the G27.

1smoothredneck
05-20-2011, 21:23
While this may be a long shot, if you can let me know the dealer in Tennessee that said they quit carrying Comp-Tac products, I'd love to know which company you're referring to so I can contact them and see if there was a miscommunication along the way. There has been a few personnel swaps in the Comp-Tac office and I'd like to get feedback from both our retail customers and our dealers. Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide in this research. :)
PM sent

RustyShackelford
05-20-2011, 21:30

I have a Theis holster for my G30 and love it. I ordered it using PayPal and it was in my mailbox three days later. It cost me $60.00 for a horsehide model which already has the "combat cut." The comparative CrossBreed costs almost a hundred and is up to a 6-week wait.

It is so comfortable, I ordered a lefty holster for my Sig P225 yesterday. I got an email this morning that it shipped. As a very satisfied customer, I highly recommend these holsters. You can't go wrong with this holster, guys.

Here's a picture of Tommy Theis' holster from his gallery:
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/750/theisholsters.jpg

There is an alternative that you could have the same style as the CB from a supporter of the board.

I received one of his holsters last night (Wednesday) and ordered it last Friday.....

Same horse hide leather and I asked him to provide more cant to place the grip of my 3 inch .45 lower in the rig to where just a small portion is visible above the belt-line.

His price is $60 and included shipping I believe without the wait, and you can actually talk to him and discuss what you want. I have a cross bred which was comfortable, but did not provide the 30 degree angle cant that is more comfortable for me.

http://www.theisholsters.com

Plus if you don't like it, you can return it as his website says...But you get to talk to the maker of your holster..

Just my .02

I, also, am looking at getting a Theis holster.

/excited

mrvmax
05-20-2011, 21:38
I've had great service from Comp-Tac over the years. I've never had to deal with Cross-breed, the last one I bought was used. I'm now trying out a N82 tactical IWB.
http://n82tactical.com/