Glock Magazines [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock Magazines

fuzzyduck
05-15-2011, 23:10
Ok, so probably a stupid question. But ill just go for it. The environment I have been working lately has exposed myself and my duty gear to significant fine dust/sand. I have noticed that my magazines sound a bit "crunchy" when I was checking a round out and showing my wife what it looked like. Well like a good investigator, I wanted to see what the problem was, so I started feeding out rounds by hand, and then no more fed until I tapped the mag. This could be bad in some situations obviously.

This led me to believe that there is some dust in there and I need to clean out the inside of the magazine.

That being said, how would I go about it? Any further advice I can take and keep myself safe?

HotRoderX
05-15-2011, 23:15
I would take the mag apart and clean it

http://custom-glock.com/magtech.html

I hadnt looked at that yet its just a google search when I googled taking apart glock mag.

Might wanna put this in General Glocking sure the guys have a video that will show you proper way to take one apart. I know getting the base plate off can be kinda tricky.

blueiron
05-15-2011, 23:17
I worked in the high desert north of Phoenix and I found that a compressed air tank with nozzle cleaned out grit in magazines well.

msu_grad_121
05-16-2011, 08:45
This is supposed to be the cat's pajamas for cleaning Glock mags. That said, I have no experience with it, but some people that I trust very highly recommend it

http://mygtul.com/

DaBigBR
05-16-2011, 08:51
Cleaning magazines is an acceptable part of end-user maintenance.

Follow the instructions for disassembly on the linked site to take them apart. I clean mine by swabbing them out with a rag...more surface area than a mag brush and cheaper.

CAcop
05-16-2011, 08:53
Glock mags are a 3 person deal unless you have some trick. If I have to deal with them as part of being an armorer I grab someone and tell the to pinch the mag body while I deal with the rest.

DaBigBR
05-16-2011, 09:00
I've never had much trouble disassembling them except for maybe the first time or two a mag is taken apart.

wct097
05-16-2011, 09:11
Glock mags are a 3 person deal unless you have some trick. If I have to deal with them as part of being an armorer I grab someone and tell the to pinch the mag body while I deal with the rest.

Hmm.. I just stick the armorer's tool in the bottom. It pops the little plastic part at the bottom sideways, and I squeeze with my left hand and use my right thumb to press against the body while holding the tool & floor plate in my right hand. It's not the easiest job, but I've never had to get another person to help with it.

PROSOUTH
05-16-2011, 09:24
DISHWASHER SAFE

:rofl:

jpa
05-16-2011, 10:36
Hmm.. I just stick the armorer's tool in the bottom. It pops the little plastic part at the bottom sideways, and I squeeze with my left hand and use my right thumb to press against the body while holding the tool & floor plate in my right hand. It's not the easiest job, but I've never had to get another person to help with it.

Ditto this. Easy as pie.

Glockdude1
05-16-2011, 10:38

Easy as pie X 2!!

:cool:

CAcop
05-16-2011, 10:52

I have small fingers. Small enough that a Glock trigger is as far as I can reach. It's just easier for me to to have someone squeeze while I deal with the baseplate.

Morris
05-16-2011, 11:13
Base plate removal takes one second. Literally.

Yes, clean your mags. No, don't oil them (yes indeedy, had zealous young stud officer do that on occasion).

swinokur
05-16-2011, 11:55
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=333867

http://www.mygtul.com/index.php

EOD3
05-16-2011, 12:02
Wear safety glasses the first few times. :embarassed:

MeefZah
05-17-2011, 08:36
Well I must be a giant puss because I have a helluva time getting the baseplates off...

DaBigBR
05-17-2011, 09:13
Wear safety glasses the first few times. :embarassed:

I about lost an eye the first time I field stripped a 1911. I was reading the directions while taking it apart. Turned the bushing and read "CAUTION:..." and then took the recoil spring plug right in the eyebrow...gun had a FLGR, so it was hollow, and the edge actually cut me. Took about ten minutes to find the damn thing.

rudeboy3
05-17-2011, 14:18
I about lost an eye the first time I field stripped a 1911. I was reading the directions while taking it apart. Turned the bushing and read "CAUTION:..." and then took the recoil spring plug right in the eyebrow...gun had a FLGR, so it was hollow, and the edge actually cut me. Took about ten minutes to find the damn thing.

Haha I did the same exact thing with my 1911, I had a nice sized bleeding cut on my eyebrow.

David Armstrong
05-17-2011, 15:15
As others have said, cleaning a mag is part of basic maintenance. Popping the baseplate on a Glock mag is easy if you know what you are doing, a nightmare if you don't. If you don't, find someone that does know and have them show you.

Arc Angel
05-17-2011, 17:03
In my experience the most common mistake people make when trying to disassemble a Glock magazine is that they fail to push the magazine insert (factory schematic part #32A) far enough up into the magazine body in order to free up and release the external lock tabs that hold the magazine floor plate (part #32) in place.

The first time you take a floor plate off can be a real, 'bugger'. First time out, I'll use a pair of large adjustable pliers with padded plastic jaws that I got from Sears.

I'll push the insert plate up out of the way by inserting my armorer's tool through the hole in the floor plate the way you usually do; and, then, I'll apply the jaws to the magazine's body and squeeze just hard enough to get the floor plate to come loose.

As long as the insert plate is up and out of the way you should be fine. After the first time all you need to do is push your armorer's tool through the hole in the floor plate and give it a good jerk towards the front.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?pageNum=2&viewItems=25&keyword=pliers
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=2284

BULLRUNN
05-17-2011, 17:26
My mags are so well used I have problems keeping the base plates on.. taking them off is easy.. a can of computer air and a clean towl and im done in a few min... its the dam trigger pins on my 870 with a knox stock that give me a fit from time to time..

EOD3
05-17-2011, 17:55
I don't make a habit of correcting "gun shop commandos" but, one of the guys that works at the shop actually told a kid (less than 30) that he had to pry the base off with a screwdriver. I took the youngster aside and showed him how to take it off using the "small key" method... :whistling: :cool:

Lockback
05-17-2011, 18:02
I use a pair of pliers with a rag.
But, yeah, I think it's ridiculous how hard they are to strip.

fuzzyduck
05-17-2011, 18:14
Thanks everyone!! Got the debris out and will be able to keep it up now