First time AR decision [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First time AR decision

t9alejandro
05-15-2011, 23:57
So ive been thinkin about buying a AR for the longest time and i now am faced with this great decision. I am right handed and lefteye dominant. NO this is not the same what should i do thread. I have never shot a rifle or shotgun and wouldnt mind starting to shoot rifle left handed.
"Should i invest in buying a left hand specific rifle right of the bet?"
Stag Arms for example. I've done all the little tests to determin what my dominant eye is.
P.S. i shoot my guns right handed

glock031
05-16-2011, 00:27
I'm right handed, left eye dominent also. I been shooting rifles left handed for so long now it feels natural. I have no choice as my vision is too blurry to shoot rifles right handed.

To me its like the ar is set up left hand friendly as is. No need for a left handed stag version IMO.

t9alejandro
05-16-2011, 01:00
I'm right handed, left eye dominent also. I been shooting rifles left handed for so long now it feels natural. I have no choice as my vision is too blurry to shoot rifles right handed.

To me its like the ar is set up left hand friendly as is. No need for a left handed stag version IMO.

I heard some complains about the spend casings flying in said persons face

Eurodriver
05-16-2011, 01:31

Is their face in front of the ejection port?

eracer
05-16-2011, 05:19
Follow your eye-dominance. Buy a left-handed rifle. I'm left-handed and right-eyed. Can't imagine shooting a left-hand rifle now. I still shoot handguns left-handed.

glock031
05-16-2011, 09:06

Happened to me with steel cased ammo only (silver bear 62gr hp). Brass been GTG.

J. Parker
05-16-2011, 09:20

I'm the same as you. I thought firing a right-handed AR as a lefty would be a problem but it's not. The spent cases don't even ding the brass deflector. I have a CMMG upper and a Mega lower FWIW.

~John

djegators
05-16-2011, 09:23
I am not lefty, but I shoot with a lefty, and another who is right-handed, but left eye dominant as well. Both shoot my ARs left-handed without issue. I would rather have the parts compatibility then the very small improvement from a left-handed upper. I would consider a KAC lower, which is truly ambidextrous, if I were a lefty, and I had the cash to spend, but a standard AR is easily handled by lefties in my experience.

BBJones
05-16-2011, 12:13
I am not lefty, but I shoot with a lefty, and another who is right-handed, but left eye dominant as well. Both shoot my ARs left-handed without issue. I would rather have the parts compatibility then the very small improvement from a left-handed upper. I would consider a KAC lower, which is truly ambidextrous, if I were a lefty, and I had the cash to spend, but a standard AR is easily handled by lefties in my experience.

+1

I am RH but left eye dominant. I shoot long guns left handed (AR, AK, pump SG, etc.). I use a traditional AR (not a LH version). I see no reason to get a LH AR as there are IMO no advantages and some disadvantages (part incompatibilities).
I reccomend and ambi-saftey. I also use a BAD-type lever (mine is Troy but works the same as Magpul and others on the market. It makes LH reloads much easier and faster) and an ambi-charging handle. With those three add-ons I feel my AR is very LH friendly.

Captains1911
05-16-2011, 12:52
Leftie ARs are a gimmick. Just get a regular one so you don't limit your options, and learn to shoot it leftie, to use your non-dominant eye, and/or get a red dot sight and learn to shoot both eyes open.

STI
05-16-2011, 12:57
I recently got a Rock River, this Rifle is used 7 days a week and so far runs flawless, highly reccomend it, I have fold down sights with EOTech

JASV.17
05-16-2011, 13:31
I'm right handed with a left eye dominance as well.

With an EoTech (or even Aimpoint for that matter) there's no issue at all. I pick up the recticle very easily, I don't even notice my eye dominance one bit. With the irons, however, I must close my left eye.