Pocket carry for Ruger LCP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pocket carry for Ruger LCP

safarihunter
05-16-2011, 09:27
I have never carried a pistol in my pocket and looking for some advice on type of holster to use. I'm 6 ft, 190 and 36 belt so not skinny but not too big either.

I have tried a no name leather holster which is not much more than a piece of leather folded over and stitched on the bottom and up the side opposite the fold.

The side toward the outside of the pocket is cut to below the trigger for ease of purchase. I'm used to carrying in Sparks or Alessi but cheaped out on this since if was a quick purchase I had no idea where to start.

When I stick it in my pocket in jeans, it fits but I notice the bulge in the pocket. When I wear casual slacks it seems to hide somewhat better but I still notice it when I look in the mirror.

Would a holster where the two vertical edges are stitched ease the footprint since the holster would taper to the edges instead of a big roll where the non stitched edge would be?

Do I just need to wear baggier pants?

I appreciate any help

md2lgyk
05-16-2011, 09:37
Check out the Desantis Nemesis holster.

6StringGeek
05-16-2011, 09:38
I like Mika Pocket Holsters. One man shop, great service and price. 3 week wait for me. I had one made for a S&W 642.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

cowboywannabe
05-16-2011, 09:40
jeans unless worn baggie or "relaxed fit" as the "big" guys call it will cause most anything in the front pocket to print, its just the way they are made coupled along with you looking for the buldge.

Glock940
05-16-2011, 09:40
You can also look at these holsters. Very well made and worth the money.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unclegeorgeswalletholster.com%2F&ei=LEXRTYC0EZPUgQew84zGDA&usg=AFQjCNHA874ZCbcV30KxHqH4sVf-o119kw

RetailNinjitsu
05-16-2011, 09:45
I had the same problem at first when I tries to use leather or padded nylon holsters. I went with a "Fist" brand ultra thin kydex pocket holster and have been using it with great comfort and success for almost 3 years.

sancho13
05-16-2011, 09:48

^^^^^^This

It has a piece off the bottom and side that sticks out like a tab. I throws off the shape of the gun. I keep my cell phone in the other pocket and both look about the same

barstoolguru
05-16-2011, 10:31
for one you are to paranoid about it, so you have a budge in your pocket. no one is looking at it and who is to say what it is. do you go around looking at other people trying to figure out what they have, of course not!! I carry with nothing at all just put it in and make sure there is nothing in there to scratch it any more then it is

dancingwolf
05-16-2011, 10:34
Check out Blackhawk No.1 Pocket Holster made specifically for this gun. It's what I use - disappears in pocket & no need for "oversize" pants.

Genin
05-16-2011, 12:47
desantis nemesis has always worked great for me and my LCP

tuica
05-16-2011, 12:59
I also carry LCP with no holster in empty pocket. With double-pocketed cargo trousers/shorts, I place a piece of pocket-sized card stock in the outer pocket to mask any pistol printing. Works great - try it. Cheers

654Boomer
05-16-2011, 13:06

Another vote from me on the Desantis Nemesis. It breaks the outline very well and is very easy to carry--either front or back pocket.

barstoolguru
05-16-2011, 14:05
Check out Blackhawk No.1 Pocket Holster made specifically for this gun. It's what I use - disappears in pocket & no need for "oversize" pants.

I found it at cheaper-then-dirt for $9.07+ shipping if you can't drive there but it will not fit a ruger/w a laser and mine has one

AGAF
05-16-2011, 16:56
Another vote from me on the Desantis Nemesis. It breaks the outline very well and is very easy to carry--either front or back pocket.

Another vote here.....

You just have to overcome your own thoughts and awareness of the pistol in your pocket. I carry an LCP in my front pocket in Desantis Nemesis quite often and it just looks like a big multimedia phone, PDA, etc. Haven't had one person ask about it of stare trying to figure it out. We think about it way more than anyone else who has no idea what you are carrying......

jdavionic
05-16-2011, 17:15
I have 2 holsters. The Desantis Nemesis is the one that I mainly use for front pocket carry. I have a Hunter holster that I like better for back pocket carry. If I had to buy one, I'd get the Nemesis. It's great for the front pocket, and okay for the back pocket...IMHO.

DanaT
05-16-2011, 17:27

+1 for this choice

AggieGlock
05-16-2011, 18:51
RKBA holsters. Just google it. A+ quality

Kansas Slim
05-16-2011, 18:59
One more for the Nemesis. It stays in the pocket every time I draw with authority and even in my tight Wranglers it just looks like a phone.

NWGlocker
05-16-2011, 19:18
I carry in a Bear Creek wallet holster. Depending on the pants I either carry in the front pocket or the rear. And someone else was spot on before when they said "no one is looking at the bulge in your pocket", you don't have to worry.

pnutcar
05-16-2011, 19:46
Anyone have any experience with this one? I'm looking at it for my P3AT. I know its not pocket, but its another option I'm pursuing.

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_363_395&products_id=35&zenid=87vq2bb39nv30da2er7mnmira5

NWGlocker
05-16-2011, 20:05
I also use a kel-tec clip that uses the rear pin to mount for IWB. Some people don't like that since the trigger is exposed but that trigger has such a long pull I don't worry about it. It is only a couple of bucks and since the gun is so light you really don't notice it at all.

SouthernBoyVA
05-16-2011, 20:29
I have carried my KelTec P3AT and my Ruger LCP in short pants pockets, specifically cargo shorts and in the cargo pocket. Only in unusual situations have I carried one of this little BUGs in a blue jean pocket.

Misty02
05-16-2011, 21:31
http://www.unclemikes.com/products/inside_the_pocket_holsters.html (the rectangular option, don't have the other so I cannot say)

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=32

both conceal well in a pocket.

Caver 60
05-16-2011, 22:03
Nemesis

Used one daily for about 7 years with a P3AT. Wear it in both tight and loose fitting pants. Never been called on it.

I once asked a friend, who knew I carried, to try to spot where I was carrying. Took him several minutes and he was looking for it.

Don't waste your money on the Super Fly. Just get the Nemesis.

mikegun
05-17-2011, 16:33
I have pocket carried a kel tec p3at in my levis front pocket in various holsters for years, i recently bought a leather TALON GROUP, back pocket holster for the gun,. this is the way to go, does not print, very very comfy comp to ft pocket and fits great in my levis pocket, dont even know i have a bu gun on, feels and looks like a soft wallet....i wish id done this 10yrs ago...after 1he practice , i can draw as fast as a belt holster..

BK63
05-17-2011, 17:52
First of all, nobody is looking at the bulge in your pocket, really. Has anyone ever come up to you on the street and said, gee, your pocket looks awfully full, while pointing at it, and say, what ya got in there? I don't think so, forget about it. Second, get yourself an Uncle Mike's #1 like this one, cut the stitching to modify it to hold the extra mag, and you have a pocket gun with 13 shots on ya. Nuff said.

fla2760
05-18-2011, 00:39
The Nemesis that has been mentioned is great for front pocket or jacket pocket carry if you ever want to carry your LCP in the back pocket the DeSantis Trickster is nice.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/desantis-the-trickster-style-021-for-kahr-keltec-and-ruger.html

boomer453
05-18-2011, 02:40
look at the remora.

Caver 60
05-18-2011, 07:45
Unless they have changed the design, the Remora leaves very little of the pistol to grasp for drawing it out of the pocket. Also I've had several inadvertent P3AT magazine releases with the Remora. So I went back to Nemeses.

Magazine releases almost never happened with the Nemesis and I've used Nemesis for about 7 years. I do lift a lot of heavy objects in my normal work.

If Remora would just cut their holster lower, it probably would be a great holster.