Gen 4 G 17 cleaning [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 G 17 cleaning

esminbritt
05-16-2011, 10:26
Well, I actually read every thread in this section, and I'm sure someone else has asked this but if, I missed it. My gun is new. I've put about 700 rounds through it in the last month or so. I'm wondering how often I need to clean it. When I bought it, the guy said just to wipe some oil on the uppermost contact points, and that i didn't have to pull the barrel and really clean it that often? I know Glocks are famous for being durable when dirty, and I dont want to clean it more than I have to. What do you think?

JR
05-17-2011, 13:40
You can clean them or leave them dirty, they run either way.

esminbritt
05-17-2011, 14:00
OK. Thanks. I was bettin' you would say that. So what are the benefits and disadvantages of going either way. When I'm wrenchin' on cars, and in general, I always say, if it aint broke, dont fix it. But it obviously needs to be cleaned at some point, right?

JR
05-17-2011, 14:04
If I am near water or suspect the gun got wet I will clean it and verify it is properly lubricated. Rust or the potential for rust is best avoided at all times. I will also clean the gun when it is visually fouled, any other time I simply leave it be

esminbritt
05-17-2011, 14:29
Ok. I apologize. I need stuff spelled out sometimes. By, visibly fouled, what do you mean exactly. After 700 rounds, if you looked close, you could see some carbon build up in and around the receiver, barrel slide. Does that constitute fouled? And as far as lube, one guy told me to just wipe a lightly oiled cloth on the contact points up top where as the next told me to use a drop of oil at each of those points and wipe the excess. The latter is the one that told me to pull the barrel after each trip to the range. I appreciate your input. Thanks again.

JR
05-17-2011, 16:10
Yes, thats what I mean by visibly fouled (700 rds).
Yes, you can wipe the surface areas down with lightly oiled cloth but you need to add a single drop of oil to each of the slide rails and connector for sure.

esminbritt
05-17-2011, 17:34
Got it. Thanks.