HCC Police Academy in Houston TX [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HCC Police Academy in Houston TX

tx.45
05-16-2011, 11:59
Was just curious has anyone here ever attended the police academy? I'am thinking about joining in Jan so I'll have time to get in shape & maybe do a little pre studying. If anyone can give any insight or advice on it I would appreciate it. I'am going to be doing this while working a full time job and going to the academy in the evenings. Do they give you time to study? Thanks

Mark9Fogger
05-16-2011, 12:28
There are quite a few things to do and keep in mind, but for starters leave your self pride at home, put on a thick skin, and do exactly what the instructors tell you to do. Your time at the academy will be hard, but it will be worth it in the end.

trdvet
05-16-2011, 13:22
Was just curious has anyone here ever attended the police academy? I'am thinking about joining in Jan so I'll have time to get in shape & maybe do a little pre studying. If anyone can give any insight or advice on it I would appreciate it. I'am going to be doing this while working a full time job and going to the academy in the evenings. Do they give you time to study? Thanks

You study at home. Why HCC though? Did you look at Lone Star College, Gus George (FBCSO) and UH Downtown? Do you still live in Sugar Land?

tx.45
05-16-2011, 13:37
You study at home. Why HCC though? Did you look at Lone Star College, Gus George (FBCSO) and UH Downtown? Do you still live in Sugar Land?

My friend at FBCSO said do not go to Lone Star. I can't go to Gus George cause you have to go during daytime and be sponsored. Would be open to UH cause I work Downtown. Is there something wrong with HCC? Yes I still live in SugarLand.

trdvet
05-16-2011, 14:12
My friend at FBCSO said do not go to Lone Star. I can't go to Gus George cause you have to go during daytime and be sponsored. Would be open to UH cause I work Downtown. Is there something wrong with HCC? Yes I still live in SugarLand.

What's the issue with Lone Star? Nothing wrong with HCC, they have a nice new facility. I knew an instructor that worked there and he was the biggest idiot I ever met. Don't know if he is still there or not. I did not attend any of these academies.

blueiron
05-16-2011, 15:07
Never been to any Texas academies, but here are some suggestions:

If you have an undergrad degree or higher, review your ENG101/102 classwork for descriptive, causative, and analytical essay formats. If you have not taken freshman English, get to a community college and take it in person, online, or in a hybrid format. No matter where you end up in LE or what you do, you WILL be doing paperwork and writing. If you can, consider taking a Technical Writing class - while they are emphasized for science, engineering, etc. types, you will be writing about precise and measurable phenomena and factors, so it will help in accurately documenting a crime scene or accident.

Open this link: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/post/pdf/PT.pdf and print it out. Take this chart to a recognized professional athletic trainer and tell them that you need to reach and maintain 70th percentile for the foreseeable future. Some people can train themselves, but many of those people tend to do it poorly and inefficiently. Pay for expert conditioning and it will be realized in the shortest and most injury free way possible. DO NOT shoot for minimums. You must exceed the standards to ensure that you have a sufficient cushion if you are not at your absolute best.

The Cooper LE standards are what many academies and agencies go by as a physiological expert standard.

The Cooper standards are what many agencies and academies use for standardized testing.

jadams951
05-16-2011, 20:37
Some are better than others. But what it all comes down to is get through the academy and pass TCLEOSE.

actionshooter10
05-17-2011, 04:41
I would pick UH-D out of those mentioned. Knowledgable instructors with good structure.

You WILL do PT everyday. Most of the academies mentioned do not.

Easily the most disciplined and structured academy of those mentioned.

Class 241.

tx.45
01-24-2012, 12:36
Just curious any new members go to HCC Police Academy?

trdvet
01-24-2012, 16:37
Just curious any new members go to HCC Police Academy?

Do you have the same questions?

tx.45
01-24-2012, 18:54
Pretty much. Wanted to ask couple questions about PT.

trdvet
01-24-2012, 19:19
Pretty much. Wanted to ask couple questions about PT.

Straight from their website.

HCC Police Academy (http://hccpoliceacademy.com/)

Are there physical fitness requirements?

Cadets, regardless of gender, must meet or exceed written standards to graduate. Tasks include 1.5 mile run, 300 meter run, push-ups, sit-ups, vertical jump, and an obstacle course.

tx.45
01-24-2012, 19:29
Was already aware of that! Was looking for someone who may have attended

trdvet
01-24-2012, 20:00
Was already aware of that! Was looking for someone who may have attended

If you don't get a reply here then try calling and ask about their PT or go down there to do the same and check out the facility.