I can't run very well [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I can't run very well

SCmasterblaster
05-16-2011, 17:59
Due to a sciatic nerve injury in my right leg. I can walk half-way decent, but steady standing is not quite there yet. How does this affect my self-defence standing? I am currently carrying a C1 M1911A1 .45 until my G17 comes back. I figure that if I cannot run away from a threat, I am more likely to draw and shoot. Where do I stand, so to speak?

Mas Ayoob
05-17-2011, 07:42
A disability which compromises mobility takes retreat off the table as a tactical option, to a large degree. It also greatly compromises the crime victim's ability to fight off an attack with less-than-lethal force.

If faced with a physical attack as opposed to armed assault, my advice to the physically challenged person would be to shout loudly, "Don't hit me! I'm crippled! If you hit me, I could die!" An assailant who continues a physical assault after that has clearly manifested an intent to cause death or great bodily harm.

Spend some time in a legal library, researching deadly force law in the given state. Look up "disparity of force." This is a situation where the ostensibly unarmed attacker is so likely to kill or cripple if he carries out his assault, that the situation warrants the use of a deadly weapon by the defender.

The able-bodied attacking the physically disabled is one element that establishes disparity of force.

Best,
Mas