Confronting an intruder [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Confronting an intruder

debbert
05-16-2011, 19:06
Hello Mr. Ayoob,

I am a fan of your forum here, and I will be reading your books soon.

I have an interesting question for you:

My house is laid out in such a way that if an intruder came in though my front entrance, I could (unbeknownst to them) sneak up behind them (from within my home) and prevent them from exiting through the same door.

Ohio's "Castle Doctrine" indicates that I do not have to retreat from my home for any reason.

My question is, does the intruder have a right to flee the same way they came in, and would a court look down on me if I were able to engage the intruder (after blocking their original exit) due to my home-field advantage?

Regards,

Debbert

Mas Ayoob
05-17-2011, 07:35
My first concern with that theory is a tactical one. It could certainly be effective if you lived alone and your primary concern was to effect a citizen's arrest on the intruder(s).

However, if there are others in the household you're trying to protect as your primary mission, this strategy is very likely to put the perp(s) between you and your family, leaving the family members unprotected from the intruder(s) and in the line of fire of any of your shots that missed or overpenetrated.

If at all possible, putting yourself between the intruders and your family members while waiting for police to respond to your 9-1-1 call would be my recommendation.

best,
Mas

debbert
05-17-2011, 09:14
My first concern with that theory is a tactical one. It could certainly be effective if you lived alone and your primary concern was to effect a citizen's arrest on the intruder(s).

However, if there are others in the household you're trying to protect as your primary mission, this strategy is very likely to put the perp(s) between you and your family, leaving the family members unprotected from the intruder(s) and in the line of fire of any of your shots that missed or overpenetrated.

If at all possible, putting yourself between the intruders and your family members while waiting for police to respond to your 9-1-1 call would be my recommendation.

best,
Mas

Thank you for the quick reply. I did not think about including that information. I live in a house with my dog. No other family members within the household.