1911 Duty weapon debate [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Duty weapon debate

doneroman
05-17-2011, 09:04
Howdy Mas,
I have more than a few Glocks for duty carry but am looking to a double-stack 1911. Questions:
1.) Is there a 1911 manufacturer that has L.E. support similar to Glock's?

2.) What are some persuasive arguments to support my preference, when talking about this with my C.O.C.?

3.) Do you ever carry a double stack 1911 on duty?

Thanks for your time, love your books-one question there on something you mentioned in writing. In talking duty weapons in your Greatest compilation from 2010, you mention that the 1076 was phased out for reliability reasons. What were they?

Thanks again for your service.

DR

Mas Ayoob
05-17-2011, 09:31
Answering in order:

1. Colt has a good armorer's school for the 1911, as does Springfield Armory (the one presented by Team One at ILEETA this year got good reviews), but I'm not aware of any 1911 manufacturer offering armorer's schools, etc. in the scope or breadth offered by Glock.

2. The cocked and locked feature has been a life-saver for many officers in life-or-death struggles. You might also be able to demonstrate to your supervisors that you are distinctly better in performance with the 1911 than with other platforms. That's gonna depend on your agency's policy and related matters.

3. Not personally, most double stack 1911s are too fat in the hand for my personal preference, YMMV.

Kind words appreciated. The 1076 problems stemmed from a designed-by-committee trigger system S&W didn't use in other Gen 3 pistols. Good discussion on this can be found via the search function at www.smith-wessonforum.com.

best,
Mas