First time carrying concealed today... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First time carrying concealed today...

golls17
05-17-2011, 20:34
And no, it wasn't at Walmart...

I passed my agency's qualification today and went straight to buy a holster. Went with a Blackhawk CQC, since I like that one for my Glock and my instructor recommended it, too.

So off I went, with my gun and badge under my t-shirt and an open zip-up sweatshirt.

The family and I went to a local grocery store, and nobody yelled gun, nobody called the local cops, and nobody seemed to even notice (at times, neither did I!).

All in all, it was everything I expected it to be...uneventful.

IndyGunFreak
05-17-2011, 20:37
Congrats...

One thing though (about the Blackhawk).... use caution when unholstering. The holster itself, to me is fine.. but I don't like how you have to "unlock it" by pressing in the release that essentially puts your finger right at the trigger guard.

Be safe.

IGF

JuneyBooney
05-17-2011, 20:39
Did you have your ccw badge too?:supergrin: Congrats.

FLSlim
05-17-2011, 21:02
Congrats. Kind of comforting isn't it.... Be smart and you won't have any issues.

Stevekozak
05-17-2011, 21:56
Did Wisconsin finally get concealed carry? Good for you!!

rudeboy3
05-17-2011, 22:10
Did Wisconsin finally get concealed carry? Good for you!!

He's LEO the way I read it...

Happy Hunting
05-18-2011, 01:08
You can mash a gum wrapper under the release button on the Serpa and you don't have to risk blowing your finger off every time you draw.

Also, I CC'ed for 2 hours in a Waffle House tonight while reading Atlas Shrugged. I had a distinctive aura of liberal loathing.

GunFighter45ACP
05-18-2011, 09:23
Mmmm Nachos.........

-gunut-
05-18-2011, 10:06
The serpa is a pretty poor concealment holster. You might find yourself looking for something smaller and more concealable in the future. Weather doesn't always allow you to wear a jacket :supergrin:

Congrats on passing! Carrying concealed will become more comfortable the more you do it.

BailRecoveryAgent
05-18-2011, 10:19
Also, I CC'ed for 2 hours in a Waffle House tonight while reading Atlas Shrugged. I had a distinctive aura of liberal loathing.

:rofl: Liberals HATE Waffle House! Its non union and pays less than IHOP.

OP, congratulations, but you technically haven't carried concealed yet until you've carried through WalMart. Its a GT law.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SBR2340/firsttimecarrywalmarttacticalmap.jpg

AGAF
05-18-2011, 12:47

OP, congratulations, but you technically haven't carried concealed yet until you've carried through WalMart. Its a GT law.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SBR2340/firsttimecarrywalmarttacticalmap.jpg

First time to see that! That's funny; I don't care who you are!!!! :rofl:

taurn88
05-18-2011, 13:07
ah.. I've been looking for that map. I will pass on wally's steaks though.

Facejackets
05-18-2011, 13:10
When you get a chance, while carrying the holster, lay on your right side and try to draw.

whmaxwell
05-18-2011, 13:56
And no, it wasn't at Walmart...

I passed my agency's qualification today and went straight to buy a holster. Went with a Blackhawk CQC, since I like that one for my Glock and my instructor recommended it, too.

So off I went, with my gun and badge under my t-shirt and an open zip-up sweatshirt.

The family and I went to a local grocery store, and nobody yelled gun, nobody called the local cops, and nobody seemed to even notice (at times, neither did I!).

All in all, it was everything I expected it to be...uneventful.

Wow, are you 5??? I think that's when I started!

It does take awhile to get used to it man, but it's worth it. No one has ever called the cops on me so I guess it works out... given an article I read recently I have probably been "made" by plain clothes cops but so far so good :D.

IndyGunFreak
05-18-2011, 14:10
First time to see that! That's funny; I don't care who you are!!!! :rofl:

Yup... I think that map was made by a clever GT'er a couple years ago, after he posted his "wally walk after action report"...

IGF

Toorop
05-18-2011, 14:49
Congrats. Are you already sworn or just passed the qualification?

lwbfl
05-18-2011, 15:01
I've been in Law Enforcement for 15.5 years and have only carried OD for about three months now. I've done the Wal-Mart, Target, McD's etc. walk and haven't had any issues either. Chances are if your smart with it, you never will!

golls17
05-18-2011, 18:48

Yup... I think that map was made by a clever GT'er a couple years ago, after he posted his "wally walk after action report"...

IGF

I know, I know. I haven't made it to Walmart yet, but nachos do sound good. I have open carried at Walmart before (a few years ago), but I know it's not the same.

Congrats. Are you already sworn or just passed the qualification?

Sworn and passed. Unfortunately, our policy doesn't allow me to carry the rifle or shotgun off duty... :whistling:

GunHo198
05-18-2011, 19:58
We went to Cocoa Beach this past weekend. The last night we were walking around late at night down town. It was the first time the wives were happy I was carrying. At one point a guy hassled my buddy over the pool table. But my buddy handled him fine. My wife whispers to me that she can see the outline of my G30 through my shirt. I told her that's fine as long as it's concealed. Since I changed holsters, I've started to dress different. I hardly notice I have it on anymore. My G27 would probably be a better choice when I'm not working. But I still havnt made it to the range yet with it. Maybe tomorrow!

Bill Lumberg
05-19-2011, 08:51
The blackhawk serpa does not place your finger near the trigger guard. It actually reinforces proper indexing of the trigger finger. If your finger is near or in the trigger guard, you can't get the gun out of the holster. If your finger is properly indexed, it is on the release button of the holster. Not the most concealable in the world. What "agency" do you work for and when did you graduate from the academy?