Recommendation of which book to start with [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation of which book to start with

crash_gsxr750
05-18-2011, 12:49
Mas,

You and a few others have written many books on self defense, could you point me to which of yours (or maybe someone elses)

to read first?

Mas Ayoob
05-19-2011, 11:43
Of mine, I'd start with "In the Gravest Extreme," "The Truth About Self-Protection," and "StressFire." Mike Izumi's "In Self Defense" is another good one. Bill Jordan's "No Second Place Winner" may be a bit dated on gun selection, but contains timeless advice on self-defense. All available from Police Bookshelf, www.ayoob.com.

Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery and Book of Concealed Carry are also mine, and might be useful, as are many others in the Gun Digest series. Available on Amazon.

You always want to have the Jeff Cooper classics: "Cooper on Handguns" and "Principles of Personal Defense." Check Amazon for those. Go to Paladin Press for an excellent selection of self-defense titles. Chuck Taylor, Louis Awerbuck, Steve Wenger and (IIRC) Walt Rauch and Dave Kenik among many others have good titles there.

Too much good stuff out there for me to list here on the topic. Two "companion volumes," however, are useful to anyone who keeps a gun for self-defense: "Gray's Anatomy" (know thy target) and "Black's Legal Dictionary" (useful guide to legal principles).

It'll be a life study...but a potentially life-saving one.

Good luck,
Mas