A few new AR upgrades (pics) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A few new AR upgrades (pics)

ctfireman
05-18-2011, 16:55
Just finished her up. Magpul CTR stock, daniel defense quad rail, new buffer tube, hogue grip, & a temporary fore grip while i wait for the magpul fore grip. Now i need to decide on which eotech & get backup sights. The rifle is a stag model 1. What do you guys think?

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g77/mmsi1002/002-7.jpg

SilentVectorX
05-18-2011, 17:42
Looks pretty good! Which brake is that? I'd go for an XPS, for battery commonality w/ weaponlights and the transversely stored battery.

bullittmcqueen
05-18-2011, 17:46
You have backup sights in the carry handle already.

If you are dead set on an optic chop the handle to retain the rear sight

bmoore
05-18-2011, 18:26
That thing looks sharp. I just put my Smith back into an M4 config today. I picked up a Vortex strikefire today, its just an aimpoint knock off but its actually really well made and has nice features.

faawrenchbndr
05-18-2011, 19:05
Looks good,......Stag make great rifles!

ctfireman
05-18-2011, 19:29
I was planning on MBUS sights with the eotech. What happens with the front post? Does it get removed?

bmoore
05-18-2011, 19:32
You can keep the front post on and co witness the dot with your front site. Buy a rear flip up site. Keep the rear site flipped down unless you need/want to use it.

mixflip
05-18-2011, 20:41
Uh oh, you didnt buy a top tier rifle? Youre not going to be able to defend your life with that thing ya know?

Lol, of course I am kidding. I have a Stag M8 and have to fend off the Stag haters all the time. I'm sure you know the guys... the "if it aint a Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense or Spikes then its going to fail you" type guys.

ctfireman
05-18-2011, 21:14
Uh oh, you didnt buy a top tier rifle? Youre not going to be able to defend your life with that thing ya know?

Lol, of course I am kidding. I have a Stag M8 and have to fend off the Stag haters all the time. I'm sure you know the guys... the "if it aint a Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense or Spikes then its going to fail you" type guys.

Yup.....they're never willing to bet money on it though!

SilentVectorX
05-18-2011, 21:30
Yup.....they're never willing to bet money on it though!

Pssht, my rifle is 100% Noveske. It's nice, but I acknowledge it's mostly paying for accuracy, a name, QC, and customer service. I just didn't want to spend good money on classes only to spend time off line because of a dead rifle. And I won't berate a rifle just because it's "lower tier". If it meets your needs, that's all that matters! Anyway.

As far as the sights, you can either cowitness your EOtech's aimpoint with the BUIS, or use a higher EOtech mount to set them above the front sight post, if you want it out of the way.

RMTactical
05-19-2011, 00:53
Looks great.

mixflip
05-19-2011, 01:19
Pssht, my rifle is 100% Noveske.

It's nice, but I acknowledge it's mostly paying for accuracy because Stag AR's arent accurate?,

a name because Stag does not have an established name? I guess CMT and its 40+ years making M16/AR parts isnt "a name"?,

QC because Stag does not have good QC? Stag does individual HPT & MPI fyi,

and customer service. because Stag does not have good customer service? I guess a lifetime warranty isnt good enough?

I just didn't want to spend good money on classes only to spend time off line because of a dead rifle. because Stag AR's are known to die on all the police officers (and lefties) that use them nowadays?

And I won't berate a rifle just because it's "lower tier". If it meets your needs, that's all that matters! Anyway. Dude, ya just did berate in a round about way.

As far as the sights, you can either cowitness your EOtech's aimpoint with the BUIS, or use a higher EOtech mount to set them above the front sight post, if you want it out of the way.

And the (subtle) hating starts just like that....

My buddies top tier quality Colt had a serious failure to extract that left his Colt dead for the remainder of the day since he didnt have a 20 inch dowel to clear it, while my Stag kept on chugging along (on crappy Wolf steel ammo too boot!) Dont get caught up in the hate hype.

Jack Black
05-19-2011, 01:29

Well, you gotta admit, you're the one that started it this time.

faawrenchbndr
05-19-2011, 04:10
I just put a Spikes dedicated 22LR upper on a new BCM lower.

All are good, some are better than others.

SilentVectorX
05-19-2011, 04:34

My buddies top tier quality Colt had a serious failure to extract that left his Colt dead for the remainder of the day since he didnt have a 20 inch dowel to clear it, while my Stag kept on chugging along (on crappy Wolf steel ammo too boot!) Dont get caught up in the hate hype.

Don't put words in my mouth here and ruin this guy's thread. I'm sure the rifle will serve him well and within his expectations. I don't have a Stag, but it's not like I wouldn't buy one. I don't know what else to say here. Just because it's not my favorite #1 choice doesn't mean I hate. The only reason that even came up is because you brought it on.

I would like to hear more about what the future plans the OP has for accessories and usage, etc. I just want to put in my $0.02 of advice if I can be useful - for example, he doesn't seem to be up to speed on co-witnessing, so I wonder where else he could use some info.

ctfireman
05-19-2011, 07:05
I'll take all the info you guys wanna offer. I'm a handgun guy who has a few rifles, i know very little about ARs.

bullittmcqueen
05-19-2011, 08:02
I was planning on MBUS sights with the eotech. What happens with the front post? Does it get removed?

Keep the FSB as is. The only reason to remove it would be to install a lo pro gas block and extend the rail, but you have a nice rail already, so stay put.

As far as rear sights you have lots of options, but if you are going to be running an eotech anyways, spend the least amount of money possible. That is the basis for my chopped carry handle post above. You spend $0 doing that. It's fine to run a fixed rear sight and a red dot optic. You don't necessarily have to have a flip down although the choice is certainly up to you. It's your rifle. Read a lot, buy once.

JASV.17
05-19-2011, 08:07
I'll take all the info you guys wanna offer. I'm a handgun guy who has a few rifles, i know very little about ARs.

Looks great, congrats!

For Eotech, consider the XPS2-0. For BUIS, Troy. Magpul MBUS is also an option if you're looking to save a few bucks.

Troy:
http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=55&categoryId=-1

Magpul:
http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=1280&categoryId=141

Grab some of these too, you'll be glad you did:

http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=34&categoryId=145

glock031
05-19-2011, 09:44
Looks great, congrats!

For Eotech, consider the XPS2-0. For BUIS, Troy. Magpul MBUS is also an option if you're looking to save a few bucks.

Troy:
http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=55&categoryId=-1

Magpul:
http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=1280&categoryId=141

Grab some of these too, you'll be glad you did:

http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=34&categoryId=145

+1 good advice above.
If i was to buy another eotech it would be this smaller model considering the weight of these.

STI
05-19-2011, 10:51

Same with my RockRiver, runs 100%. and used 7 days a week every week.

GunHo198
05-19-2011, 11:08
Sooo much hateing! LOL
I read that all day on Ar15.com. We already touched on the fact Spikes doesn't make there own recievers, and they are made buy 3 different companies. I have 3 Spikes, 1 Rock River, and 1 Anvil Arms. They all shoot they same. Milspec is Milspec!?.. I have seen differences in uppers though. But I've always got whatever was the best price with the M4 feed ramps. Still never had any issues. You just have to take care of your weapon.

The rear site on this one was cut down from a full carry handle. My wife loves this setup.
The lower is Spikes (THUGG) series. The Barrel is a Bushmaster, and I don't even know who made the upper!?.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/lvgood/FireArms/DSCN0009_003.jpg

woclimit2008
05-19-2011, 13:37
Same with my RockRiver, runs 100%. and used 7 days a week every week.

Wow! What do you do for a living?