6 Questions About 2 Samuel, Chapter 21 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 6 Questions About 2 Samuel, Chapter 21

RustyDaleShackleford
05-18-2011, 19:25
In the second half of the 21st chapter of 2 Samuel, it talks about another war between the Philistines and Israel, under David. David's now an old man, and several more giants are killed by Israelites. Here's my questions:

V1: "And Ishbibenob, which was of the sons of the giant, the weight of whose spear weighed three hundred shekels of brass in weight, he being girded with a new sword, thought to have slain David." (2 Samuel 21:16)

Q1: Does "sons of the giant" refer to Goliath? There's no mention of any giants previous to this, except all the way back when David killed Goliath as a young man. So I don't know what other giant it could be referring to, or maybe it just means he was the son of "a" giant. Before David kills Goliath it says Goliath's "spear's head weighed six hundred shekels of iron". Does this somehow equate to the 300 of brass in this verse? And Goliath did want to kill David, like this verse says.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
V2: "But Abishai the son of Zeruiah succoured him, and smote the Philistine, and killed him. Then the men of David sware unto him, saying, Thou go no more out with us to battle, that thou quench not the light of Israel." (2 Samuel 21:17)

Q2: Did David's men tell David to not go into battle, since verses earlier it says David grew faint? Because if he was killed, the spirit of Israel would go out? Or saying that to Abishai, so that since he killed the giant, he wouldn't go and wipe out their enemies, so that the rest of the men could fight and have glory?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
V3: "And it came to pass after this, that there was again a battle with the Philistines at Gob: then Sibbechai the Hushathite slew Saph, which was of the sons of the giant." (2 Samuel 21:18)

Q3: Was Saph a son of Goliath?
V4: "And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam." (2 Samuel 21:19)

Q4: The spear in this verse definitely refers to Goliath's, because that same exact description is used before his battle with David. But if other verses in question were referring to "the giant" and meaning Goliath, why is this the first time it refers to him by name? If anything, I'd think it would say "the giant Goliath" in the first instance, and then just go by "the giant".
V5: "And there was yet a battle in Gath, where was a man of great stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant." (2 Samuel 21:20)

Q5: Now, was this one a son of Goliath, or just any giant? And was this the only one in the chapter who was actually a giant, or was he at all? It only says he was of great stature, and didn't specifically say "giant". Or if he was, was he the only one? The first three in this chapter didn't say anything about them being of "great stature" like this one did, or anything about being giants at all. I just assumed they were, because it was apparently a great feat to beat them, and it says they were sons (and one brother) of a giant.
V6: "These four were born to the giant in Gath, and fell by the hand of David, and by the hand of his servants." (2 Samuel 21:22)

Q6: Four men (or giants) were killed in this chapter: Ishbibenob, Saph, the brother of Goliath, and the one with 24 digits. I've always heard that when David killed Goliath, he had picked up five stones, because Goliath had four brothers and he meant to kill them all--and with one stone apiece. But I think that's all just vaguery, established from this chapter. They're obviously not all his brothers, because only one is actually called the brother of Goliath. If the rest were, I think they would be also. Now, Goliath was from Gath, and these four were born to a giant in Gath. That makes it seem they could be his sons. But we know at least one wasn't. Couldn't there be more than one giant from Gath? They were probably related to Goliath, but it doesn't say this. If we know one was Goliath's brother, and all four are brothers, doesn't that then mean that they were all brothers of Goliath? I'm so confused.

Brasso
05-18-2011, 20:26
There were giants on the earth. That's all. People always want to say that there weren't, but there were. Nephillim.

Gen 6:4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of Elohim came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, the men of name.

Num 13:33 “And we saw there the Nephilim, sons of Anaq, of the Nephilim. And we were like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and so we were in their eyes.”