Any officers here ever take action off duty? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any officers here ever take action off duty?

KiloBravo
05-18-2011, 19:31
I was just curious if any officers here have ever had to act off duty to save something bad from going down. It could be anything from calling the guys who were on the clock to making an arrest yourself.

Just curious. I like hearing the stories. :wavey:

packsaddle
05-18-2011, 19:44
along with some assorted misdemeanors, called in a few DWIs and backed up the responding officers.

other than that, going to have to be felony for me to take action in another jurisdiction.

Hack
05-18-2011, 20:29
My agency currently directs that I act as a citizen when off duty, going according to the laws of the state of residence, or of the state that I am visiting, (regardless of US law concerning the matter). That being said, I have helped out a time or two as a responsible citizen, and have always helped out in that category.

One time I helped thwart a shop lifting in progress at a grocery store. The person was a young teenager who got some cigarettes and stashed them away. And, while doing so was caught in the act. The manager on duty was trying to without physically placing hands on the the teenager block her exit while the cops were being called for assistance. When I came in from another entrance I saw what happened and acted to assist the manager, using use of force techniques as taught to me within the current agency I am employed by. I had the store manager help at my direction, so of course had to be darn careful. The person was not harmed.

The first person showing up was a Kansas Highway Patrol officer, who responded; then Leavenworth PD showed up a few minutes after. All ended well. No charges were pressed, but she was restricted from coming into the store by the store manager, with the cops as witnesses to the stated restriction. That was a decade ago plus a few years.

CAcop
05-18-2011, 21:07
I have had to call 911 for a few things. IIRC it was just fights involving drunks. Nothing has required me to whip out the badge or the gun.

One of our guys got dinged when he ran out into the street with his gun in his PJs because he thought his neighbor was getting robbed. It just turned out the neighbor was just getting harrassed. The brass called it "intervening in a neighborhood dispute."

Malstorme
05-18-2011, 21:51
I made a late night run to the grocery store one night and as I approached, I saw some cars on a perimeter with the ghetto bird circling the area. I stopped to see if they needed anything. I don't remember the exact situation, but an officer had gotten into a vehicle pursuit, the bad guy crashed and fled on foot. Suspect was last seen 45 minutes or more earlier and was supposedly armed. There were plenty of on duty guys there and things were pretty much stable. I wished 'em luck and headed back towards the store, about a block and a half away from the perimeter.

I parked, walked inside and passed the registers. Two guys walked out from an aisle into the bigger central area and the one slightly behind the other had a rifle held at port arms. I drew my weapon, pointed it at him and announced, "POLICE, DON'T MOVE!" Without hesitation, he dropped like a rock and lay flat on his face. The guy with him did the same.

To make a long story short, it wound up being 2 store employees with a pellet gun. They were using it to dispatch birds that had gotten trapped in the store. Fortunately for he and I both, he was smarter than the average cookie monster and didn't try explaining the situation with that rifle in his hands.

The store employees had been watching the "action" down the street for a while so everything got sorted out pretty quickly, no harm no foul. I found out later that the store changed their procedures and always carry their pellet guns covered with a paper sack now. I think I saw the guy a few weeks ago, working at a local bank.

For a moment I thought I had a "real" bad guy, but all I wound up with was this lousy story... :outtahere:

Mals

Morris
05-18-2011, 21:53
Yes. The pucker factor was high. That is all.

SAR
05-18-2011, 22:02
Yes a couple of robberies in progress while off duty. The last one was a take over restaurant robbery by two armed gang members. I shot one, the other ran. Both caught. Both in prison for 20+ armed robberies with shots fired in several of them.

Dragoon44
05-18-2011, 22:16
yeah lots of times there were these hot chicks and after I got off duty.....wait.........what kind of action are you talking about?????

:cool:

glockurai
05-18-2011, 22:26
Once, a domestic dispute that was about to get physical. Quick flash of the badge and everyone was on their way.

PinkoCommie
05-18-2011, 22:42
Yes. I had to point a gun at a guy trespassing in my yard who did not respond to my commands fast enough for my comfort (long story, but I felt that the safety of my family was in jeopardy). Turned out OK.

MeefZah
05-18-2011, 22:44
Yes a couple of robberies in progress while off duty. The last one was a take over restaurant robbery by two armed gang members. I shot one, the other ran. Both caught. Both in prison for 20+ armed robberies with shots fired in several of them.

It's like my dreams are your reality.

I gotta get a job in LA.

David Armstrong
05-18-2011, 22:46
Took action in a couple of burglaries and a few DUIs over the years. Just a call in and watch with all except one burglary where I took him down to prevent him getting away.

Rabbi
05-18-2011, 23:10
You know....all that macho chest thumping stuff that people think "Well, here is how I would save the day..." (like a lot of the OC crowd) goes out the window once you realize how important that uniform is. (most people never get that chance to realize and understand how that is true and why it is true)

I have not taken any off duty action yet. Outside of a Felony, where the law requires me to take action...and action can, and is often wisest, include being a good witness.

When I workshop it in my head I think of the axiom "Dont make it any worse" and in civies, I am(perception) just a guy with a gun, that can make a lot of situation worse.

I dont feel the need to right every wrong and bring justice for every slight. I would act if people are in danger or in need of help and of course, I would do just about anything a fellow LEO needed me to do, including getting the hell out of the way.

blueiron
05-18-2011, 23:23
Yep.

My shooting was off duty, in street clothes, and in another jurisdiction.

Off duty UOF engagements and UC/off duty officer survival were not addressed prior to that by my agency or by the State certification authority. It is finally getting the attention it deserves.

I didn't look for trouble, it found me.

DaBigBR
05-19-2011, 00:27
I'm not going to be able to keep up with some of the folks on here.

Three times that come to mind. Two were drunk drivers - one was at a restaurant I was eating at and was about to leave. She elected to call a ride rather than have me call her in. The other was on the interstate and was literally the worst driving I have ever seen, bar none. Local SO arrive, tested, and arrested. My involvement was minimal. Third was a guy with a felony warrant that I saw out and about and called an on-duty officer directly to stop. No gun fights for me.

BlackPaladin
05-19-2011, 02:50
Yes, it happens.

Patchman
05-19-2011, 03:15
Only a really bad 2 car accident where one was making a U-turn when it got T-boned. The driver of the U-turning car was killed by the impact. There was also a months old baby and mother in the car. Directed two people to call 9-1-1 and told them what to say to 9-1-1, including need for Jaws of Life. Really not much to do medically for baby and mother except wait for the ambulances and the fire trucks to get there.

KiloBravo
05-19-2011, 05:33
Wow some very interesting and I am sure heart racing stories indeed! God bless you all for what you do. It is my dream to someday be amongst the same ranks as all of you.

volsbear
05-19-2011, 06:45
Mostly it's consisted of me being in a public place and seeing a drunk driver or some ****** with a warrant (lots and lots of warrants - I have somewhat of a photographic memory and I read the warrants list daily). Called the local PD and let them take care of it.

scottydl
05-19-2011, 07:18
Once, a domestic dispute that was about to get physical. Quick flash of the badge and everyone was on their way.

That's funny, I had the same incident and the people looked at me dumbfounded, like they thought my badge was fake or something. Not the response I expected! They eventually left, but in hindsight I think it would have been better to call the local on-duty agency so the lamenting lovers could have been properly documented and reported as a domestic.

You know....all that macho chest thumping stuff that people think "Well, here is how I would save the day..." (like a lot of the OC crowd) goes out the window once you realize how important that uniform is. (most people never get that chance to realize and understand how that is true and why it is true)

^^ Truth

05-19-2011, 07:37
Short of witnessing another cop getting his ass kicked or a no **** homicide (true victims only), there ain't no way I'd be calling anything in. This is especially true if occurring in the agency's area I work for. It's just seen as creating paperwork for someone where, potentially, none was needed.

I do seem to recall calling in well after the fact to ask if an investigation was initiated or an arrest was made, but it was only to offer my observations if the investigator wanted them.

collim1
05-19-2011, 08:19
My agency considers us on duty 24/7, required to carry sidearm and ID at all times.

I have personally never taken action, but a co-worker and neighbor was jogging late one night and observed a auto-burglary going down.

He tackled the guy and yelled for help until a citizen called police. I thought it was a little risky myself, but we have been eaten up in our jurisdiction with burglaries. I guess it would be hard not to act if you actually saw one in progress.

wprebeck
05-19-2011, 09:02
A few times - nothing major, though. Assisted with a couple of domestics when the officer didn't have backup on scene yet. Didn't do anything more than sit with one of the involved parties while the officer interviewed the other.

The "worst" one happened while I made a side trip to the library on my way to work. Was in uniform, got.flagged down by some folks. Short version - guy was drunk, tried to enter another person's vehicle with them in it. Occupant struggles, pushes drunk out, drunk hits head on pavement, lots of blood. I get waved down, cuff one guy up because witnesses are screaming "he did it" and I don't know what "it" is yet. Call EMS and beat officers, get names of all involved for my incident report, brief oncoming units of what I found out, turned it over to them and went on to work.

Working off duty is a different story, but I don't think that's what is meant in this thread. The way I look at things is simple - if its not an emergency, im not vlgetting involved. Someone else is getting paid to handle stuff like that, im not doing it for free, unless its life threatening.

Cochese
05-19-2011, 09:34
I've witnessed two major DUI hit and runs. In one instance, the guy tried to drive away with half a car. I watched in amusement at the gas pumps until a bunch of civilian witnesses tried blocking the suspects car in with their own cars. I realized someone was about to get themselves killed over a property damage accident so I intervened. Badge and.... LCP were used to convince the driver to halt his attempt to flee. Responding officer LOL'd at my LCP. I gave it to my wife for a purse gun.

2nd one, a drunk chick drives across a six lane and gets broadsided in her Hyundai by a PT Cruiser. She ends up in front of my Audi, head to head, facing WB in WB lanes, no lights on. I stop with hazards on and get out to check on her medically. She fires up her car and drives straight toward me. I barely avoid getting ran over for my trouble, and I haven't even ID'd myself at this point.

I figure she is gonna kill someone so I put local dispatch on speakerphone and follow her through light snow until the appropriate agency responds. The officer is aware an off duty LEO called it in. He arrives and she parks and foot bails. He is alone, so I assist until his cover arrives. She hid in some apartment and we lost her.

They found her with a dog. DUI, revoked DL, a bunch of warrants. Ghetto princess.

Morris
05-19-2011, 10:56
I didn't look for trouble, it found me.

Quoted for the truth.

The reality is that cops are meat eaters. We typically keep our alert status up even off duty so we see things lots of folks miss or ignore as grass eaters. Whether we intervene depends on ego, experience, severity of the criminal act, policy, family with us, consumption of intoxicating beverages and so on.

Out of all the times on and off duty I had to point a gun at someone, none was ever as shocking as going guns on with a burglar inside the house/garage.

FiremanMike
05-19-2011, 12:40
Meefzah please remove my name from your sig line.

Thank you

ProactiveShooters
05-19-2011, 12:49
Years ago, I was on vacation at home and was soundly sleeping with the windows open. Around 3am, I heard a terrible banging sound outside. I went out to check and saw a guy trying to kick the front door of a house in about 4 houses away.

I grabbed my gun, id, and badge and called the local PD. Told them that I was a Deputy Sheriff and there was a B&E in progress at my neighbor's house. Also let them know that I was armed.

I ran down the street as the guy was tossing a lawn chair through a side window. I drew down on him, shouting 'Police, show me your hands". This drunk ass started walking towards me with one hand in his pocket. all of a sudden, I look to my right and the local PD officer had his gun drawn on me. I slowly showed him my badge while covering the bad guy. The 2 local guys then tackled him into the mud.

Turns out the guy was drunk and a brand new roommate to the homeowner. He got locked out so he tried to break in. The next day, he came to my door and thanked me for not shooting him.

Pepper45
05-19-2011, 12:58
A few crashes. Called in a few DUI's on my way in to work before I had a take-home ride. Called in a domestic on my neighbor, deputy that responded didn't have a cover available. He asked me if I was armed and was willing to help out. He had to arrest the 50yo son, and we wound up in a fight. Helped beat the guy into cuffs, and spent the rest of a day off on paper at the office.

Only time I didn't call it in, was a few *********s that stopped in a public park, parked right in front of me, then started taking turns pissing on the sidewalk next to their car, and throwing their food wrappers on the ground. I ID'd myself, and explained the error of their ways, and encouraged them to GTFO of the park. They were only passing through anyway, haven't seen them again.

Vigilant
05-19-2011, 13:51
[QUOTE=Hack;17366476]My agency currently directs that I act as a citizen when off duty, going according to the laws of the state of residence, or of the state that I am visiting, (regardless of US law concerning the matter). That being said, I have helped out a time or two as a responsible citizen, and have always helped out in that category.[QUOTE]

My situation exactly. I have called in a few possible DWIs, and a few really blatant reckless drivers. Followed one at a distance (he didn't know he was being followed), called the PD, and stayed on the phone until the schmuck parked. I stayed until the coppers arrived, never got out of the car, cooperated completely, and was enough of a witness that the schmuck got a cite.

My best story, though, involves a turd who was high on bath salts and causing a stir. When asked to intervene, I approached him politely and cordially, asked if I could help, and convinced him to stay posted, and keep an eye on all those invisible Mexicans in the treetops, while I went and called the law and got us some help. Four Sheriff's cars arrived (he and his fellow miscreants were ongoing PITAs, well known by the SO). I filled them in, told them he was high on bath salts and waiting on them to help him out with all those invisible Mexicans, and that I had heard that he had an outstanding warrant. With some big grins on their faces, they walked back to the woods, chatted the schmuck up, and eventually headed to the cars, to take a ride to his brudder's house to clear up a case of mistaken identity. He got just a little squirrely when they told him they had to pat him before he rode with them, due to their SOP. But he complied, hopped in the back seat behind the cage, they closed the door (with the controls disabled on the inside of course), and headed down the road for his brudder's house. But there was just one problem. They didn't stop at his brudder's house...... he got out inside the sallyport! :rofl:

Sharky7
05-20-2011, 01:40
Meefzah please remove my name from your sig line.

Thank you

Now I want to know what it said! :broccoli:

Sharky7
05-20-2011, 01:46
I've had a few things I've had to call in off duty, DUI's and fights mainly. Nothing major.

Only really one DUI comes to mind where I had to do something. I was at a hotel walking in with a group when a stumbling crazy drunk woman walks out from the hotel bar trying to get into her car as the bartender is telling her it is not a good idea. She sits in the car and is trying to start it. I walked up with a few choice words and IDed myself and ordered her out of the car and took her by the hand. She was really SO bad she could barely stand - there was a convention going on and she would have easily killed someone.

I stopped for an accident once too where I had to give CPR...that's about it. I would rather let the uniforms deal with it off duty unless I REALLY have to do something. I'm going to be a good witness and call 911 up to the point where I can't be and have to take action. If it's a deadly force or serious injury incident - then game on.

txleapd
05-20-2011, 06:35
Nothing too exciting for me. I called 911 a couple of times, and have rolled up on some bad collisions. Apparently my **** magnet only comes on at work (so far).

I'm VERY okay with that.

S.O.Interceptor
05-20-2011, 06:57
I've called in a lot of stuff as a witness. From burglaries to DWIs. I don't care if it creates work for someone else, it's their job. I do that same job when other off-duty officers call in situations. If it's a dangerous offense, I'm calling it in and then doing my part as a witness and giving a statement.

I've gone hands-on exactly once. What started as a call-in for an ugly argument and a slap between a man and woman turned into 2 guys thumping on a woman, picking her up, and appearing to kidnap her. I was on 911 and "persuaded" the men to cease all hostilities. Fortunately an on-duty was about 30 seconds away. A good clothing description to dispatch as well as backing down as soon as the on-duty was in visual range kept me safe. I hope I never have to do it again.

It's like my dreams are your reality.

I gotta get a job in LA.

I doubt getting into a shooting with 2 armed turds, while off-duty, was a dream of his. I doubt it was entertaining either.

I get the sense that you are new to this profession. No one but a rookie would dream about getting into shootings, much less off-duty, against armed criminals. It's not Hollywood. Bad guy's bullets do real damage, "flesh wounds" involve skin grafts and multiple surgeries, as well as permanent disability and that's if you survive. Plus investigations and lawsuits destroy people's finances, health, and sanity.

There is a big difference between training and preparing for the worst case scenario to be able to eliminate a threat if it presents itself, and hoping as you approach a call that someone draws down so you can get into a shooting. One makes you a good sound well rounded and prepared officer. The other makes you crazy. And not in the "that dude's crazy" cool sense of the word. Crazy as in the "he needs professional help and is a danger to himself and others" sense of the word.

I hope that if the time comes I will be prepared to fight and win like Officer Jared Reston. But I pray that I'm never tested like he was.

Vigilant
05-20-2011, 07:01
Methinks S. O. said a mouthfull. :thumbsup:

MeefZah
05-20-2011, 13:41
I doubt getting into a shooting with 2 armed turds, while off-duty, was a dream of his. I doubt it was entertaining either.

I get the sense that you are new to this profession. No one but a rookie would dream about getting into shootings, much less off-duty, against armed criminals. It's not Hollywood. Bad guy's bullets do real damage, "flesh wounds" involve skin grafts and multiple surgeries, as well as permanent disability and that's if you survive. Plus investigations and lawsuits destroy people's finances, health, and sanity.

There is a big difference between training and preparing for the worst case scenario to be able to eliminate a threat if it presents itself, and hoping as you approach a call that someone draws down so you can get into a shooting. One makes you a good sound well rounded and prepared officer. The other makes you crazy. And not in the "that dude's crazy" cool sense of the word. Crazy as in the "he needs professional help and is a danger to himself and others" sense of the word.

I hope that if the time comes I will be prepared to fight and win like Officer Jared Reston. But I pray that I'm never tested like he was.

Nah, 14 years on. I don't really have any plans on getting into a wild shootout, nor is it really a dream of mine. 'Twas a tongue in cheek comment. Perhaps I should have deployed some smilies. Sorry.

MeefZah
05-20-2011, 13:44
Now I want to know what it said! :broccoli:

I was quoting a youtube video about union issues, the theme of the video was a firefighter repeating the mantra: "I am hero, I deserve" (google it). It seemed funny given the recent union thread he had posted in. But, I was not quoting him, so it was fair for him to ask me to take it down, which I did.

Bruce M
05-20-2011, 19:53
One day a decade or so ago I went out to get a Shotgun News. Got home four hours later after recovering two different Lojack vehicles. A while back I was out and about and just coming up on the street while she was dispatching a respiratory arrest of an infant. I tried CPR but the infant passed away. I didn't notice the scars in various stages on her. The mom and another relative ended up being charged with murder of the infant because of the abuse.

AZLawDawg
05-20-2011, 20:07
Just a couple of fatals that I rolled up on first, and one wrong-way.

Panzergrenadier1979
05-21-2011, 06:53
I called in a DUI once. It was in State Police territory. While on the phone I passed a trooper who was on a traffic stop. I knew that PSP rarely has a car in this area and I figured that there probably wasn't another car within miles. Turns out that that was the case; the trooper working dispatch told me he had no one available. I followed the guy for close to 16 miles before he took an exit. I ran the driver's info the next day at work; he was a priest........

I called in an active retail theft at a strip mall in a neighboring jurisdiction. Bad guy was aware that I had seen him and ran from the store. I gave to dispatch the man's physical description, vehicle description and registration. I never found out if the local PD got the guy.

tsdsensei
05-22-2011, 06:40
I was on a permanent 3rd shift and happened to be off in the middle of the week.I was reading in our living room and heard a crash outside.A car had clipped a pole and wound up with the rear end jacked up on top of the broken pole and the fire plug. I looked out the window and he was trying to drive off but having no success. I didn't want to lose sight of him so he could not use as a defense someone else was driving the car. I told my wife to grab my off duty S&W revolver, badge and call the dept.
I went outdoors and didn't identify myself right away but rather just engaged him in conversation about what happened. He said his buddy was driving and had already run away. An officer I worked with drove up and began talking with him about the accident and the strong odor of alcohol coming from him. The bg gave my friend the same dumb excuse for the accident. I pulled my badge out then and gave him the bad news that I watched him in his car trying to escape and there was no "buddy". The other officer was hooking him up while I was giving the drunk driver the bad news.
When his lawyer got two arrest reports rather than one he just plead him out rather than argue it. It was fun to BS with the guy while waiting for the on duty officer. He was convinced he was going to skate.

silverado_mick
05-23-2011, 03:14
Worst time was me and my then partner were having an adult bevrage in a bar after our shift. Guy gets out of hand and the doorman throws him out. I guess the doorman must have told him my partner and I were cops, or he must've just known. Either way his buddy comes back in the bar and grabs me to let me know his recently ejected friend is outside waiting for us with a gun and said he was gonna "shoot the cops". We look out the front door and he's there across the street. We called the on duty guys who took him down at gunpoint. He had a Sig220 in his waistband so presumably he really was waiting for us to leave.

Bill Lumberg
05-23-2011, 08:44
Yes, but I've used my cellphone far more times than I've ever acted otherwise. I was just curious if any officers here have ever had to act off duty to save something bad from going down. It could be anything from calling the guys who were on the clock to making an arrest yourself.

Just curious. I like hearing the stories. :wavey: