caliber question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : caliber question

ryanglade
05-19-2011, 07:44
I shoot a Glock 20, but my wife does not shoot much. I want to get something for her that will be functional and effective. I have been thinking about a little revolver, not a super lite, I want a double action preferably hammerless revolver that has enough weight to handle the kick.
I am not experienced in these guns and would like some caliber abvice.

Much appreciated.

Mas Ayoob
05-19-2011, 12:06
.327 not yet having developed a track record, and .32 Magnum not having developed a spectacular one, your guidelines leave us with .38 Special.

The S&W 640 series and the Ruger SP-101 in double action only with spurless hammer are all-steel, compact, five-shot .357s that will handle the full range of .38 Special cartridges. They're more comfortable by far in terms of recoil than the light .32-frame .38s. If recoil becomes a particular concern, Federal has reintroduced its standard pressure 125 grain Nyclad .38 load, which worked very well in its previous incarnation and is relatively soft on the hand.

best of luck,
Mas

ryanglade
05-19-2011, 21:38
Thanks,
As far as recoil goes, I don't think it is really a big issue, I have heard that the superlites turn a lot of women away due to the recoil being rough.

Do you recommend any other good self defense rounds/loads for .38? I am new to the non-tactical guns.

Mas Ayoob
05-19-2011, 21:43
Ryan, if recoil is not a problem, I personally go with Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P as first choice, Remington Express 158 grain lead hollowpoint +P as close second choice in .38 Special.

best,
Mas