Sight Picture [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sight Picture

JamesT
05-19-2011, 11:52
Mas, when I was in the military in the late 60's, we were taught that your "target spot" sat on top of a front sight (which was aligned within the rear sight). That method served me quite well back in the day, so to speak. I have been away from firearms since that time; but, am now getting into self defense handgun shooting. Instruction now is to overlay the "target spot" w/ the front sight. I am making it work w/ our Glocks but it is far less intuitive. I also understand that SD handgun sights are basically set up for the overlay sight picture; whereas, "bullseye" handgun sights are set up for the method I learned in the Army.

Why the two different sight picture methods?

Many thanks
JamesT

Mas Ayoob
05-19-2011, 12:34
The six o'clock hold was geared for a circular target of known size at known distance, where it gave a more precise aiming point. For defensive work, where you'll aim at a particular spot on the body or the center of whatever mass is exposed to you by an opponent behind cover, the "center hold" seems to give better results to most shooters.

Think of it this way: the six o'clock hold is a kind of "Kentucky windage" in which you're holding low, hoping to hit a spot a certain distance above the sights, instead of holding high left to compensate for a gun that shoots low right. Being able to center the sight picture on the spot you want to hit is one less thing to have to remember in a situation of extreme, life-threatening stress.

best,
Mas

JamesT
05-19-2011, 17:07
Interesting...many thanks!