Ammo question for a J frame..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ammo question for a J frame.....

cowboywannabe
05-19-2011, 12:10
to whom it may concern....:cool:

my wife's "jouse gun" is a model 60 NY-1 with a laser grip. its currently loaded with CB 110gr. DPX, it was loaded with the infamous Rem. 158gr. LHP +p which she didnt care for after a few cylinder fulls.

what would be the lightest h.p. load that gives reliable expansion, and the least felt recoil?

ive toyed with the idea of the 110gr. Win STHP non +p.

id prefer not go to a 158gr. SWC standard pressure.

she shoots the CB DPX just fine and has no complaints about the recoil, however a small town cop that i am with a family doesnt lend itself to the expense of the DPX for regular practice.

Mas Ayoob
05-19-2011, 12:28
First suggestion: you and she might want to try a box of Speer's 135 grain +P Gold Dot engineered especially for snub .38s by Ernest Durham. It has worked very well in the field -- so well Chicago PD replaced their namesake "Chicago Load" for this stuff, for officers carrying 2" .38s, I'm told -- and it kicks distinctly less than the 158 grain +P.

Federal has their Nyclad standard pressure 125 grain soft hollow point, formerly known as the Chief Special load, in production again. It's hard to find, however, and while it worked great in its earlier form, bullet configuration has changed slightly so we're back to square one for determining street performance. It's also hard to find.

I'm not aware of any DPX shootings in .38 Special, either. However, like the new Nyclad, the DPX looks very promising in testing. If she's comfortable with it, shoots well with it, and knows where it hits out of her gun, simply staying with the DPX probably wouldn't be a bad default choice.

best,
Mas

cowboywannabe
05-19-2011, 13:06
thanks for the suggestions.
shes tried the 135gr. speer gold dot short bble. and while it kicked less than the remington load she said it was "too snappy".

the DPX load seems like a winner for her as far as her comfort shooting it and handling the gun.....its just so expensive. thats why i was hoping for an alernative load of similar weight, velocity.....for practice saving the DPX for the occasion familiarity drills at the end of the session.

thanks again for the reply.