Dead trigger issues [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dead trigger issues

Stuart Ivie
05-20-2011, 14:12
Hi guys,

I've been out of Glocks for years, but I'm now thinking about giving them a try again.

The only turnoff for me was an issue that I had with a 1st gen 21 and 19, that of the sear failing to reset. That is, when firing a string, the slide would cycle fine, then when I pulled the trigger I'd notice that the trigger hadn't fully reset. Often the primer would show a light strike as well.

Many trips back to Smryna failed to correct the problem. The techs never found anything wrong. Then every once in a while they'd do it again. I have little patience for guns that have issues so they were traded away.

My question is, has anyone else had this problem, or am I just jinxed?

Thanks,
Stu

cciman
05-20-2011, 17:34
Never had a 1st gen myself so I'm going to give only what I know. I have had several (many) 2nd and 3rd gen guns. Glock strikers, notoriously are weaker on the strike than a hammer driven mechanism. (EZ to test with a pencil in the barrel)

If you had evidence of primer strike, then the trigger was not "dead"- the striker hit but did not ignite the primer-- that is not the really the gun's problem. Since they were evaluated by Smyrna, I further suspect there are external issues.

Don't know when you owned these guns, but my first instinct would be to ask what ammo you used. If it was mil surp ammo, or comm block ammo-- it is common for these to have hard primers-- you need a hammer strike to make these go off. I have not had any issues with ammo I buy in stores, nor Wolf, nor CCI-Blazer (I have over 15K shell cases laying around composting back into the earth).

I presently have a full supply of Pakistani surplus 9mm range ammo, that will not ignite consistently with my Glocks (up to 30% failure to fire after confirmed primer strike). Better, but still sucky (5%) with hammer fired weapons. This is an ammo issue. Not one to load for EDC, not SD, right?

I replaced the Glock striker springs with Wolf X-tra power springs (additional 1# of force) to minimize such incidents. Stay away from pakastani manure, period, unless you have hammer fired guns. Also it helps to clean out the Glock striker channel.

No reason to buy a Glock, really, unless you love them (I do, personally). There are plenty of others that will do the same trick. The Sig250, or the 92FS clones are fantastic (I own these too), and work better with the manure.

If you carry Glock for SD, then you are loading with good ammo, so the above is moot.

Glockrunner
05-22-2011, 05:58
CCIMAN hit the nail on the head.

dreis454
05-22-2011, 06:09
I'm thinking it is shooter error........not releasing the trigger enough TOO reset after a shot...Not trying to be a smartass but I have done this myself.

Stuart Ivie
05-23-2011, 07:33
'Pilot error' is entirely possible.

The ammo was all domestic name brand, mostly Federal grey box. I never mess with mystery ammo, or even Wolf. Fiocchi and S&B sometimes, but nothing any more off brand.

So, if I fail to properly reset the trigger, it'll give me a weak strike without a full trigger reset?

Maybe Glocks and I just don't mix.