Gen 2 Glock Finish [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gen 2 Glock Finish

zzulu
05-20-2011, 15:42
I have a Gen 2 Glock 19 which I purchased from a friend and until I bought it, it had never seen a holster. After 4 days at Front Sight, in and out of a Kydex holster several hundred times, it had significant wear of the slide finish. My questions are (1) is this a common problem on Glocks? (2) Is this only an early Glock problem which is solved on the newer generations? (3) If Glock refinishes it will it wear rapidly again? and finally, (4) is there another refinisher which has a better process. (Robar said their black will come off just as quickly as the factory finish).
Thanks for indulging so many questions.
ZZ

JR
05-30-2011, 23:02
Most the Gen2 pistols had a black oxide finish. The best way to keep up with this finish is to apply a thin coat of oil to the slide and then wipe it off with a soft rag. You are not trying to remove the oil just keep it applied very thin. This will help remove most of what you are calling wear or scratches.
Some finishes are tougher than others. I never seen a hard chrome break down.... but they all get damaged sooner or later.