Suspect fights with cop, steals squad car... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suspect fights with cop, steals squad car...

golls17
05-20-2011, 16:35
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=8142585

MeefZah
05-20-2011, 16:51
That sucks.

I almost always secure my door when I leave the car unattended... the only exception is when I am on a basic traffic stop, in case I have to run back and take off in pursuit in a hurry, I don't want to fumble with keys.

One thing I do, which wouldn't really have helped here, is once I know I'm going to hook up the other driver, I lock my door but leave the rear doors unlocked, so I can get the arrestee in my car with a minimum of fuss, but still have my door secured so if we have a fight and he kicks my ass, he can't jump in my car and take off.

Detectorist
05-20-2011, 19:22
That sucks.

I almost always secure my door when I leave the car unattended... the only exception is when I am on a basic traffic stop, in case I have to run back and take off in pursuit in a hurry, I don't want to fumble with keys.

One thing I do, which wouldn't really have helped here, is once I know I'm going to hook up the other driver, I lock my door but leave the rear doors unlocked, so I can get the arrestee in my car with a minimum of fuss, but still have my door secured so if we have a fight and he kicks my ass, he can't jump in my car and take off.

Sounds like solid logic to me.

Patchman
05-20-2011, 19:38
With almost 3 months on as a LEO, I went to answer a job in an apartment complex. When everything was finished and riding down the elevator I started feeling my pockets for the car keys. Sheer panic as I thought I lost the keys. Got to the car and realized I had left the engine running, the doors unlocked and the car unattended!

DaBigBR
05-20-2011, 20:53
With almost 3 months on as a LEO, I went to answer a job in an apartment complex. When everything was finished and riding down the elevator I started feeling my pockets for the car keys. Sheer panic as I thought I lost the keys. Got to the car and realized I had left the engine running, the doors unlocked and the car unattended!

Nice.

I lot a pair chasing somebody once. Our (at the time) AC freaked out saying we were going to have to re-key the cars. I don't know how somebody finding two Ford keys on a ring in the grass would lead them to one of our cars, but I ended up finding the keys during daylight the next day so it never came up.

I also know a guy who was fighting with a crazy person by the river. Crazy person tore the spare car key off of his belt keeper and pitched it in the water.

Broke Hoss
05-20-2011, 23:59
I've only been able to watch the video once. But I don't recall hearing radio traffic in the car. My thought when I see 1 of these is "the bad guy gets to hear us on the radio trying to set perimeter/spikes". A reason to quickly move radio traffic to a different frequency & maybe not have your own radio on scan.

Fireplug
05-21-2011, 01:04
Dear Chief,

Strange thing happened today.....:shocked:

OLY-M4gery
05-21-2011, 04:02
If a guy takes up a "fighting stance" from the get go, why would you approach him?

Video needed far more baton.

COBRA90GT
05-21-2011, 06:40
That video footage of the crash was pretty crazy - it's karma for the suspect IMHO.

MarcDW
05-21-2011, 07:52
It looks kind of strange the way the guy was hopping around and making a 360?!
Then he gets tasered twice (I guess taser failed) and at the point he gets in the car.
Most likely I would have given him a lead transfusion at this point, since we carry a M4 and shotgun in the front!

DaBigBR
05-21-2011, 12:08
Then he gets tasered twice (I guess taser failed) and at the point he gets in the car.
Most likely I would have given him a lead transfusion at this point, since we carry a M4 and shotgun in the front!

A Chief of Police of a small town in our county did just that in 2003 or 2004. Got in to a pursuit with a motorcycle, bike crashed, Chief started fighting with the rider, who ended up being armed. He disarmed the guy while they were on the ground, but the bad guy made it in to the car. Chief killed the guy in the car. It became a big media thing here since the bad guy had already been disarmed. It's also worth mentioning that this all went down in the yard of an elementary school, while school was in session

On a side note, the car was eventually put back in to service and had quite the career. It was the only pursuit-rated Intrepid I ever saw within a hundred miles of here. Somebody slid it off the road a couple of winters later, then somebody else actually hit the Chief with it in a foot chase. The engine finally blew up on it rolling to an assist officer call. I was there, too and could not figure out why the officer had blacked out and parked so far from the scene...it's because the car literally wouldn't go any farther. I think they were all glad to see it go.

JTipper.45
05-21-2011, 14:26

Yeah, this would be my reaction at this point. Went hands on, no luck. Tasered twice, no reaction. Now suspect is INSIDE my vehicle, it alone is a killing machine but I have an arsenal housed in the front and back. If he is willing to take the fight to an officer hand to hand he is sure probably willing to use whatever means he would have at his disposal. I'm sure not going to give this moran a chance to use them on other responding officers. I'll take the shot and deal with the media s$%t storm later.

slama683
05-21-2011, 19:19
If a guy takes up a "fighting stance" from the get go, why would you approach him?

Video needed far more baton.

:thumbsup:

Arvinator
05-21-2011, 19:51
I have not seen the vidoe, but as a cop, I make traffic stops. I have a legal reason to stop, so no issue there. If a suspect takes a fighting stance, my plan is to react with my OC, ASP baton, or if needed my sidearm. Once a suspect attacks or assaults a LE in Arkansas, it is a felony, plain and simple. If a suspect gets a cop down, he can kill, disarm the cop, and go kill multiple inncoent citizens.
I do not WANT to sound cruel, but I owe it to my family, friends, myself and my community to not get killed. I think if a suspect decides to attack a cop, do what you gotta do to include shooting him to stop the assault. Get judged later, just survive if your heart is in the right place. Screw political correctness and I HAVE been in ugly tight spots before. I went home then also...