Oakland PD Gen 4 Glocks recalled - why? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Oakland PD Gen 4 Glocks recalled - why?

Geordie
05-21-2011, 01:31
If it's something that would put other officers at risk to discuss then I don't need to know and we can leave it at that. I have seen mention of poor reliability and quality issues, maybe it's just that.

But on the other hand, if your department is issuing Gen 4 Glocks then maybe you could do with knowing why Oakland, CA PD withdrew them from service today. They didn't wait until people came in off duty either, they called them on the radio and told them to come get their old guns back. Or so the local news says.

By now shifts have changed so I don't expect it is a current issue in Oakland.

I expect Glock will fix the issue in a hurry. I am happy with my 1998 G20 which has been 100% reliable.

With unreliable radios, funding cuts and now this... Oakland officers can't seem to catch a fair break.

Knute
05-21-2011, 08:36
Great. I'm getting my department issued Gen 4 G22 in a few weeks. I have buddies who already carry it and have had NO PROBLEMS. My Gen 4 G27 is awesome, and have had no problems with it at all. But I have also talked to someone who has a Gen 4 G17 who said it has reliability issues.

If anybody knows the scoop please share.

DaBigBR
05-21-2011, 12:10
What caliber? There has been much discussion about the Gen 4 G17s, particularly related to the functioning of the 9mm round with the two stage recoil spring, I believe.

Meat-Hook
05-21-2011, 16:02
http://www.ktvu.com/news/27972227/detail.html

OPD Recalls Hundreds Of Recently Issued Guns

OAKLAND: New Guns Recalled From OPD
Posted: 5:19 pm PDT May 20, 2011
Updated: 10:25 pm PDT May 20, 2011

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland police officers handed back their recently issued Glock 9mm semi-automatic pistols to the Oakland Police Department Friday afternoon after reports that some of the firearms were defective.
Hundreds of the new guns were given to officers this week to replace older guns earlier this week. KTVU heard a police scanner report at around 2 p.m. of an officer complaining about a problem with his sidearm.
An hour later, the dispatcher issued a call for all officers to return to police headquarters and turn in the new guns.
Oakland Police Department Assistant Chief Howard Jordan said Friday that some of the guns were defective.
"During training and some parts of yesterday, we found that the guns were malfunctioning," Jordan said. “We made a decision to recall the new guns so they don’t malfunction while an officer is on duty.”
Police said the guns only malfunctioned during training and not in any emergency situations.
The OPD have been in need of new guns for some time. For now, while the recalled guns get repaired or replaced, officers will go back to using the old sidearms.

mrsurfboard
05-21-2011, 16:18
Hope this finally convinces some people that the Glock is not the perfect firearm that some it's rabid fans would have you believe. The old saying, you get what you pay for, comes to mind.

MarcDW
05-21-2011, 16:43
Personally I love the small frame Glocks.
Not a fan of the unsupported chamber so.
From what I heard, it's the recoil spring. You would think that this was covered by now!

whmaxwell
05-21-2011, 17:05
Hope this finally convinces some people that the Glock is not the perfect firearm that some it's rabid fans would have you believe. The old saying, you get what you pay for, comes to mind.

Cough... GLOCKTALK... Cough... Actually, I've had problems with 1911s, etc. so, while I understand your comment, Glock has produced very reliable guns for many years. Would I buy and depend on a gen4 9mm at this point? No, I still use my gen3 but the gen4 G22 has been perfect for me and I can certainly see what Glock had in mind for the gen4 changes.

Vigilant
05-21-2011, 18:29
I'm liking the M&Ps. Made in USA also.

mrsurfboard
05-21-2011, 18:43
Cough... GLOCKTALK... Cough... Actually, I've had problems with 1911s, etc. so, while I understand your comment, Glock has produced very reliable guns for many years. Would I buy and depend on a gen4 9mm at this point? No, I still use my gen3 but the gen4 G22 has been perfect for me and I can certainly see what Glock had in mind for the gen4 changes.

Just saying that they aren't the wonder product that some makes them out to be. They, like every other gun made, will malfunction.

MeefZah
05-21-2011, 19:55
Just saying that they aren't the wonder product that some makes them out to be. They, like every other gun made, will malfunction.

I by no means slurp the Glock purple drank, but I have never, never had any functioning issues with any Glock I've owned... 17, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 34... through thousands of rounds.

It happens though. The whole Gen 4 thing aggravates me... if it ain't broke, don't fix it comes to mind...

Vigilant
05-21-2011, 19:58
I'm stuck on Gen 2. Glock lost me with the finger grooves.

MeefZah
05-21-2011, 19:59
I'm stuck on Gen 2. Glock lost me with the finger grooves.

I agree, I hate finger grooves on any gun. I know where to put my fingers, dammit.

Vigilant
05-21-2011, 20:12
I agree, I hate finger grooves on any gun. I know where to put my fingers, dammit.

Not just that, but also, on the compacts, the stinking finger grooves do not, under any circumstances, work for me. Please, let me know, if, I left out, any, commas.

Cav
05-21-2011, 20:20
Well, next week I trade my old Glock 23 in for a Gen4 22. I am look forward to it.

MarcDW
05-22-2011, 00:40
I guess you want with the Gen4 to have some extra recoil spring assemblies on hand.
Only problem with this is, I am not sure if Glock at this time sells them.
They are not on the parts list.

rookie1
05-22-2011, 05:44
I have a Gen 3 Glock 17 and love it. It was my first gun. I dont own many guns a Glock 22, 23, 26 and 17 and I would pick the 17 to go to battle with. Have not shot a 4th gen yet 9mm yet. I just got a Gen 4 23 and dont like it. I KNOW its me, but had range a week ago and with my duty glock 22 shot two 100%. Qualified with my 23 and shot an 86. When I started 2 years ago we were given the RTF glock 22 and have had no problems. 6 of our new guys got Gen 4 22's and have not had issues yet.

CJStudent
05-22-2011, 09:41
Not just that, but also, on the compacts, the stinking finger grooves do not, under any circumstances, work for me. Please, let me know, if, I left out, any, commas.

I have just the opposite problem. I have no issues with a gen-3 G23, but I have a hard time with the full-size Gen-3 guns.

madecov
05-22-2011, 10:39
I had been away from Glock's for a few years. I shot great scores with my Styer, P99, M&P. Recently picked up a gen 4 Glock 23. I have no problems wiyh it and it shoots well. I qualify in the high 90's with all my weapons. When I had a Glock 22 I couldn't even qualify. I ended jp selling it. For some reason the full sized weapons other than the M&P give me fits.

Sam Spade
05-22-2011, 11:11

Kirk? Is that you?

mrsurfboard
05-22-2011, 13:25
I had been away from Glock's for a few years. I shot great scores with my Styer, P99, M&P. Recently picked up a gen 4 Glock 23. I have no problems wiyh it and it shoots well. I qualify in the high 90's with all my weapons. When I had a Glock 22 I couldn't even qualify. I ended jp selling it. For some reason the full sized weapons other than the M&P give me fits.

I struggle every qualification with the G22. I hate it with every fiber of my being.

DFinch
05-22-2011, 21:37
We are holding off on approving them for duty use until after the bugs get worked out. In addition to whatever problem Oakland is experiencing, I know they had to retool some internal parts after at least one gun locked itself closed (trigger housing mechanism raised up and made bad things happen).

For now, we're sticking with Gen 2's and 3's.

collim1
05-22-2011, 22:13
Sounds a little rash to me.

If I have a gun and have shot 1k+ rounds through it without any major problems I am not gonna be happy about giving it up.

Bad guns happen, but if yours works it is unlikely that it will stop working without warning.

In my experience if a gun works for several hundred rounds from the get go, it is a reliable gun for life.

use2b6L32
05-22-2011, 22:31
Info from a buddy:

It wasn't a recall. There was a problem with the recoil spring guide (or possibly the slide) on 2 of issued 400+ guns (they haven't issued all of them out yet), so Glock and OPD decided to just take them off line until they can determine exactly what the problem is.

As usual, the media blows something out of proportion...

DaBigBR
05-23-2011, 09:56
Info from a buddy:

It wasn't a recall. There was a problem with the recoil spring guide (or possibly the slide) on 2 of issued 400+ guns (they haven't issued all of them out yet), so Glock and OPD decided to just take them off line until they can determine exactly what the problem is.

As usual, the media blows something out of proportion...

Likely the issue where some of the spring goes through the guide and sticks out the front of the gun. I've seen it happen twice, with different Gen 4 guns. Both times after a hasty reassembly.

S. Kelly
05-23-2011, 10:51
I wish my dept would upgrade to the 4th gen G23s.

grizz
05-23-2011, 10:55
It might be something like this (the one on the bottom):

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg4/griz517/IMG_0296.jpg

That RSA was in a new Gen 4 G22 with about 300 rounds through it. Glock is obviously replacing the assembly, and we're looking at it as an isolated issue as of now. I would be interested to know if OPD's problems are the same. We haven't had any problems with any of the other G22's.

use2b6L32
05-23-2011, 23:13
Likely the issue where some of the spring goes through the guide and sticks out the front of the gun. I've seen it happen twice, with different Gen 4 guns. Both times after a hasty reassembly.

Correct, from the info I got.

drizzle
05-25-2011, 14:41
Wasn't this double captured spring done for the nines to standardize springs with the 40s? I remember reading somewhere they often wouldn't allow full cycling with ammo lighter than 40 cal.

Cav
06-01-2011, 18:47
Well, I traded in my Glock 23 for a 4th Gen 22.

Recoil is a little less.

Out of about 40 guns on the range 3-4 had some minor issues (could be the shooters).

We were told not to clean off the brass lube from the factory, but to let it wear in as we shoot and use them.

My Agency decided that we will only use the Glock 22 and not the 23's.

We all noticed that the Gen 4's were tighter in holsters. Just a little, but tighter.

I chased the rounds on the paper as we were in a hurry an had no time to adjust sights. I think one round made it out of our center/bowling pin/kill zone area. A little tweeking and it should be good.

Neat thing was many of us got our serial numbers matched to our badge numbers for the last numbers. I was one of those lucky ones.

jcsd2407
06-02-2011, 10:47
Well, I can say no weapon system is perfect, however I shoot well with my Dept.-issued G22. My scores fall in the 90s. That being said I also shot well with the S&W Sigma SW9VE that I owned previous to the dept. issuing firearms. Those scores were in the 90s as well and included a 100. I shot the worst with a S&W 3906 that I bought at the jail academy because the 70s series Colt I had didn't fit our weapons policy. It was a struggle at first and the best I ever did with it was the mid-80s. It was probably due to the 3906 being TDA and me being a beginner shooter. Does that make the Sigma a better weapon than the Glock? Does it make the 3906 a bad weapon? The answer is no because through all of the quals there were no misfeeds, FTFs, FTEs or other malfunctions.

The point is anything man-made cannot, and will not be 100% reliable so work with what you are given and make the best of it.

mikegun
06-02-2011, 16:53
Oakland PD has issued Glock 22 pistols for some time, they replaced the gen 3s with gen 4s, and had a few feeding issues, so they re issued the old G22s, the reporter was wrong in stating 9mm guns....i dont know if the fact that a few officers had probs with win WB ammo, not feeding right due to gen 4 spring...Thats what im told. We know the old 22s work as they killed 5 bad guns already in 2011 with them..I shoot the gen 2 Glocks better then the 3 and 4, must be the finger groves, for me its a huge differance, so much so i traded my gen 3 Glocks for gen 2s, and am very happy with my hr218 qual scores..