Thermold mags...Yeah or nay? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thermold mags...Yeah or nay?

mac66
05-21-2011, 06:45
I noticed CDNN has Thermold 20 rnd mag on sale this weekend really cheap. Anybody use them? Would they be good for range mags or are they junk?

pag23
05-21-2011, 07:06
I use my 1 for the range on occasion and only for that reason, when it has a problem I'll get rid of it... I prefer PMAGS or the Brownell's USGI mags.

I have read Thermold is so/so....

Akita
05-21-2011, 07:40
Range only for me, tho I have never had any problems with them.

marvin
05-21-2011, 09:03
I've used them in the past and for range mags they were ok. Although i once left one loaded in my range bag for a few weeks and when i went to shoot it off i had feed problems. at the time i was sure that the feed lips had spread on me later i thought the spring might have gone bad. Anyway once i started having problems i got rid off it. life is to short to deal with bad mags.

this was at least 10 years ago, i haven't played with them since then. so i can't really say if the new ones are good or bad.

raven11
05-21-2011, 09:46
I got some 20rnd magazines after a CDNN special and they work well for range use , I've had them for 1-2 years now

fx77
05-21-2011, 10:09
Used them for the purpose you suggest and no problems at all .

FireForged
05-21-2011, 10:37
I had some issues with the ones I left fully loaded between range sessions. If I didnt leave them loaded for any extended length of time, they were 100%. I wouldnt bet my life on them but they are plenty good.

mac66
05-21-2011, 12:52
$3/each and $5 flat rate shipping is hard to beat.

K. Foster
05-21-2011, 15:11
And crap is still crap, even if it’s free! I’ve seen lots of problems with Thermold. They might work for a while but they don’t last. Crap magazines are the cause of most malfunctions in semi-auto rifles and pistols. With so many good choices right now, I wouldn’t touch a Thermold or Orlite.
BCM has mags for $8.99 ea. Yeah, it’s more up front but their service life will probably be three times as long.
Just my .02

B.Reid
05-21-2011, 17:40
Buy quality, it is cheaper in the long run.

MrMurphy
05-21-2011, 23:50
PMags are GI issue now for a reason, they are what everyone is trying to beat.

Thermolds have had varied quality over the years. I have no use for them.

mac66
05-22-2011, 08:59
And crap is still crap, even if itís free! Iíve seen lots of problems with Thermold. They might work for a while but they donít last. Crap magazines are the cause of most malfunctions in semi-auto rifles and pistols. With so many good choices right now, I wouldnít touch a Thermold or Orlite.
BCM has mags for $8.99 ea. Yeah, itís more up front but their service life will probably be three times as long.
Just my .02

Which is why I was asking. While I like top shelf stuff, sometimes good enough is good enough. If I can buy something at a bargain for limited use it is sometimes good enough. And, of course one never knows until someone tries. I've been happy with mil-spec mags up to this point, haven't had any reason to buy PMags.

njl
05-22-2011, 09:59
I wouldn't spend money on anything but PMags or mil-spec aluminum mags...though CAA is making a PMag knockoff that looks tempting if it was priced right.

djegators
05-22-2011, 12:16
The cliche "penny-wise, pound-foolish" comes to mind.

Drgslayr
05-22-2011, 21:49
I vote trash.

I bought 2 from CtD, and the feed lips where so bad that the bullet tips chewed up my feed ramps.

MajorD
05-24-2011, 09:08
thermolds were called thermelts by our canadian allies who adopted them initially, and now the canadian armed forces use aluminum mags- that should be a clue. Unless you live in a ban state like mine where I can't buy new ar mags by law, stepping up to the 10 or so dollar each usgi aluminum mags or 14 or so buck p-mags is the way to go. no part in a semi auto is more critical to feeding than the mag-not the place to skip on quality