Bounty hunters and other badge having folks. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bounty hunters and other badge having folks.

Rabbi
05-21-2011, 12:37
CCW badge jokes aside (well, maybe not...)

1. How is your relationship with "bail enforcement agents" in your area. How about your agencies relationship?

2. Any interesting stories?

3. By extention, any interesting stories, (funny) about people with badges?

I am not looking for anything, I saw a "Bail Enforcement Agent" badge another Officer the other day. (he looking for professional courtesy on a stop.) (he didnt get it) and it just made me wonder if anyone had any good or funny stories about people and badges?

Narc1911
05-21-2011, 12:40
Bail Agents are the bottom of the barrel scum bags around here. Most are dopers or close associates with various criminal organizations. We regularly arrest them or have to investigate them.

groovyash
05-21-2011, 13:01
Agreed. Bail Agents are usually dregs. Very rarely deal with them but on occassion I have found it best to avoid them at all costs.

In PA we have Constables, who are legit L.E. empowered to make arrests in certain circumstances however it's fairly common to find them vastly overstepping what would be considered their purpose. It's a shame actually because a good Constable who is professional is worth their weight in gold for grabbing dirtbags on summary warrants etc.

glock75
05-21-2011, 14:37
I thought it was against the law in Texas for anyone in the bounty hunter trade to wear anything, including badges that said Bail Agent or similar that would give the appearance of law enforcement.

DaBigBR
05-21-2011, 14:38
Only ever heard of any real LE interaction with them around here one time. They were doing a revocation on somebody out on a vehicular homicide charge. They knew where he was and he had an active warrant. They called the PD and the PD went and got him. Obviously these folks worked directly for the bonds company, so there was no more or less money for them to be made actually bringing him in.

FWIW, they find him, arrest him, and he shoves an officer while handcuffed and runs. They deploy K9 and the first officer chasing the guy ends up getting bit. In the heat of the moment, the handler was yelling the wrong officer's name telling him to stop. They found the guy hiding between a bush and a chain link fence...guess which side they saw him from?

Rabbi
05-21-2011, 14:45
I thought it was against the law in Texas for anyone in the bounty hunter trade to wear anything, including badges that said Bail Agent or similar that would give the appearance of law enforcement.

He was not wearing it and the law states this:

3) wear, carry, or display any uniform, badge, shield, or other insignia or emblem that implies that the private investigator is an employee, officer, or agent of the federal government, the state, or a political subdivision of the state; or

(b) Notwithstanding Subsection (a) (3), a private investigator may display identification that indicates that the person is acting on behalf of a bail bond surety

I guess the line would be, does the badge itself imply those things, or does the badge HAVE to imply those things for this to apply.

I dont know the answer to that. I imagine I need to find out.

glock75
05-21-2011, 15:51
This is what I was thinking about...

35.39 Uniform Requirements

This portion is a limited display of this rule;

...d. No license shall display a badge, shoulder patch, logo or any other identification which contains the words “Law Enforcement” and/or similar word (s) including, but not limited to: agent, enforcement agent, detective, task force, fugitive recovery agent or any other combination of names which gives the impression that the bearer is in any way connected with the Federal government, State government or any political subdivision of a State government.

mrsurfboard
05-21-2011, 16:22
I've been in LE over 15 years and have never had any encounters with bounty hunters.

Rohniss
05-21-2011, 17:14
Bail Agents are the bottom of the barrel scum bags around here. Most are dopers or close associates with various criminal organizations. We regularly arrest them or have to investigate them.

Never seen a Bondsmen/Bail Agent that wasn't a piece of ****, going by the opinions espoused by some over in GnG my opinion hasn't changed one iota.

I always run bondsmen for warrants whenever they drop someone off...

Its amazing how many warrants I clear that way...

blueiron
05-21-2011, 18:46
I have run into a few of them over the years and they rated below the local "aqui compra - aqui paga" repossession drivers until a number of years ago.

In an infamous incident in Phoenix years ago, a group of bounty hunting clowns forced their way in an armed home invasion and killed some innocent homeowners. The outcry was enough to garner a change in the State law to crack down on them.

DMF
05-22-2011, 01:47
Well I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm sure there are some bounty hunters who try to be professional, and are more than just thugs trying to scrape up some money.

However, the vast majority of bounty hunters do have at the least a "shady past," and often have an extensive criminal history themselves.

I will say this, a friend of mine once worked with a bounty hunter to catch several criminals. That bounty hunter was what we call a "cooperating defendant." He provided information on his criminal associates as part of a deal to reduce his own jail time.

Here is a simple checklist that most bounty hunters seem to follow to get into the business:

1- Apply to several LE agencies, and find out you don't qualify.
2- Decide since LE is too difficult to get into, you will try to be a fireman, only to find out it's just as difficult to get in, if not more so.
3- Start applying for corrections jobs only to realize, again, that requirements are just as tough as they were for cops and firemen.
(ALTERNATE: get hired for a job in phase 1,2, or 3, only to get fired, then skip to step 6)
4- Look into becoming a PI until you realize that most states have enough licensing requirements that you don't qualify.
5- Become a bouncer while reading all the crap you can on bounty hunters.
6- Take some "training" from another bounty hunter that will hopefully make you contacts that will get you some work.

Navy HMC
05-22-2011, 04:22
We had one shoot himself in the leg in these parts a few years ago....Their bonded subject got away in the confusion-with the hand cuffs as I recall.

1 old 0311
05-22-2011, 11:29
Gee you mean they aren't all as 'professional':rofl::rofl: as Dog?:wavey:

opelwasp
05-23-2011, 03:22
We have a local bondsman that uses family members as agents. They are mostly retired LEO's from my agency. An actual good group, and know how to operate within and with the law. Doesn't hurt that they can actually carry guns and we can trust they arn't going to do anything stupid with it. And mullets are not allowed!

Hack
05-23-2011, 03:41
We have a local bondsman that uses family members as agents. They are mostly retired LEO's from my agency. An actual good group, and know how to operate within and with the law. Doesn't hurt that they can actually carry guns and we can trust they arn't going to do anything stupid with it. And mullets are not allowed!

What?! No mullets?! :supergrin:

merlynusn
05-23-2011, 06:09
My only real interaction was we were trying to serve a warrant, but didn't have PC he was in the house though we suspected he was. The bondsmen came because they had gotten called to. They just went in and got him and gave him to us.

k9medic
05-24-2011, 15:55
on an interesting note -
Bail bondsman dead, another critical after Jacksonville police shooting

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2011-05-24/story/bail-bondsman-dead-another-critical-after-jacksonville-police-shooting

Cochese
05-24-2011, 17:47
We had two of these fine gentlemen show up in our AOR last night. Pulled up in a huge lifted blacked out truck complete with neckchained badges and black outfits.

We LOL'd.

BossGodfrey
06-26-2011, 22:32
My cousin is a bondsman in Daytona. Laugh all you want, he makes 80,000 a year working part time. Has police officers, attorneys and judges calling him on a regular basis to bond out family members.He admits most bondsman are scum but not all ! I've been with him only many nights when he kicks in a door by himself to arrest some POS. Gotta say, that takes some balls. I would venture to guess most cops would not have the balls to do that by themselves! we have some decent cops in this area most just sit back and watch him do his job. I think the reason most respect him, he will not enter if children are in the home. He told me once he will not harm or traumatize children over money. But it is the most corrupt business he has ever been a part of he also told me.

Rabbi
06-26-2011, 23:26
My cousin is a bondsman in Daytona. Laugh all you want, he makes 80,000 a year working part time. Has police officers, attorneys and judges calling him on a regular basis to bond out family members.He admits most bondsman are scum but not all ! I've been with him only many nights when he kicks in a door by himself to arrest some POS. Gotta say, that takes some balls. I would venture to guess most cops would not have the balls to do that by themselves! we have some decent cops in this area most just sit back and watch him do his job. I think the reason most respect him, he will not enter if children are in the home. He told me once he will not harm or traumatize children over money. But it is the most corrupt business he has ever been a part of he also told me.

Lets start with the third claim, because I'll go ahead and give you he is a bondsman and lives in Daytona.

Explain to us how you now what he makes. Seriously. Did you do his taxes? Did he tell you? Did you audit his finances? Tell us exactly how you know what his income is.

We'll work on everything after you get past that.

Cochese
06-26-2011, 23:28

That's more along the lines of stupidity than balls.

Remember who will be coming to bail HIM out when it gets sideways on him... and it will.

:wavey:

redneck1861
06-27-2011, 02:50
I dont have much personal experience with bounty hunters. We did arrest one last year. He went in a apartment to get someone he knew was in there, but he held the people that lived there at gunpoint while grabbing the wanted guy. He thought that we would be happy because he got the guy, but he was wrong. We took them both in, he didnt get paid for the guy that jumped bail

redneck1861
06-27-2011, 02:53
The biggest thing around here are the security guys that think they are LEO's. Some of these guys carry 2 or 3 badge's, multiple knive's, flashlights, cuff's, etc. I usually just laugh and point.

opelwasp
06-27-2011, 03:05

Ya cause the felony warrants I serve and take POS's into custody are just pansy stuff. And so are all the T-stops I do. Ya, he does the real scary stuff, next time I'll just call him for back up. What a tool!

opelwasp
06-27-2011, 03:22
on an interesting note -
Bail bondsman dead, another critical after Jacksonville police shooting

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2011-05-24/story/bail-bondsman-dead-another-critical-after-jacksonville-police-shooting

And what the hell is wrong with these R-tards? What do they think they are SWAT? Going in all blacked out and tactical? Try doing it like our detectives and plain cloths do. Wear black fine, but have a flap in the back with yellow or white 2"+ letters that say "Bail Agent" or the like. Stop trying to play police.

MadMonkey
06-27-2011, 03:42
The biggest thing around here are the security guys that think they are LEO's. Some of these guys carry 2 or 3 badge's, multiple knive's, flashlights, cuff's, etc. I usually just laugh and point.

I've had a few of those as a security supervisor. They usually don't last too long... I'd LOVE to see them try to make it through police academy :rofl:

redneck1861
06-27-2011, 03:43
Ya cause the felony warrants I serve and take POS's into custody are just pansy stuff. And so are all the T-stops I do. Ya, he does the real scary stuff, next time I'll just call him for back up. What a tool!

lol. I just spit my sweet tea on my laptop, thanks alot. You owe me a sweet tea.

Seriously though, entering a house by youself for a felony warrant is just plain dumb. But I guess next time our SWAT team is called upon, I will tell them to call the bounty hunters for some advice

redneck1861
06-27-2011, 03:55
I've had a few of those as a security supervisor. They usually don't last too long... I'd LOVE to see them try to make it through police academy :rofl:

Some of the guys I deal with probably couldnt pass the back ground check. I am not saying all security guys are like that, cause most guys at our dept. work seperate security gigs. Most in uniform, except for us reserves, we can't wear the dept uniform for a security job.

I got wrote up last year while doing security at a grocery store, a guy was reaching in his pocket to pay and out falls a bag with 25 individual bagged crack rocks. I grab him and detain him until local PD shows up to make the arrest. My "supervisor" said that it was unacceptable and his security guards are not to act like that, I told him to F-off and quit.

smokeross
06-27-2011, 11:20

Pretty sure I could 'take' most of them. Hey, I said 'most', not all. :supergrin:

361cop
06-27-2011, 11:35
Never seen a bounty hunter in my area. I go find my own fugitives!

Although I'd like to talk to Dog. In one of his episodes, he tracked down one of my sister's friends from way back in the day. Never had any problems with her when she visited the house, she was always respectful towards me and my parents, she just started hanging out with the wrong crowd, moved away to another state, and became a felon.

txleapd
06-27-2011, 17:34
I've been in LE over 15 years and have never had any encounters with bounty hunters.

I've had one, and was actually pretty professional. It was my second year on the street, and I got dispatched to an assist complainant call. I showed up to a run-down trailer park, and I met with this guy. He identified himself, told me he was armed, showed me his PI license (he also had a CHL), and explained that he was trying to pick up a guy on a bond forfeiture. He had a recent photo of the BG, some type of criminal history (in a format I hadn't seen), copies of the bonding paperwork and the BG's original felony charges. Te guy had obviously had done his homework. He filled me in on all the known hazards.

He told me that he had been waiting at this trailer for the BG to show up, when he did he walked up to him, but the BG ran inside. He said that he didn't want to kick in the door, because it could easily go south on him. I called in the BG's info to dispatch, confirmed BG had a bond forfeiture on a felony warrant, and knocked on the BG's door. He came out peacefully, and I hooked him up. The bounty hunter dude thanked me, and I listed him as the complainant in my request to apprehend report.

Bad guy went to jail, and everyone was happy. Nothing fancy. I remember talking to my Sgt at the time about it, and he commented that we don't deal with them very often. I haven't even seen one in the past 10 years.