Kris P.
05-21-2011, 17:38
I'm looking for a defense shotguns. I have it narrowed down to:
Benelli M2
Benelli M4
Vang Comp 870 Police Magnum
Vang Comp 11-87 Police Magnum
Benelli with aftermarket barrel customized by Vang Comp

The above shotguns are what I was looking at, but I'm also not counting out the Beretta TX4 Storm or the FNH SLP or other shotguns.

Could you please let me know what you consider the best choice for a defense shotgun?

Thank you,

Kris

Mas Ayoob
05-21-2011, 21:08
It's been my experience over the years that the Remington 11-87 will generally be more comfortable to shoot than the Benelli with the same loads, an important consideration if it is to be a "pool gun" for home defense that some less experience shotgunners in the family might resort to. On the other side, the Benelli will demand less frequent cleaning to stay reliable, IME.

You list mostly autos, and they will certainly be faster than pumps and more amenable to one-handed "wounded defender" shooting.

For strictly home defense at close quarters with buckshot, I'd stay with a standard cylinder or improved cylinder choke. For an "outside the house" weapon -- police patrol, truck gun, farm or ranch use, etc. -- the tighter patterns of the Vang Comp will come into their own.

Feel free to come back and let us all know what you chose and how it worked out for you.
best,
Mas