Just finished firing 100 rds of tula ammo! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just finished firing 100 rds of tula ammo!

dc2integra
05-21-2011, 20:48
I went out to the range today and took out my brand new AR 15.I put 100 rounds of tula ammo without any malfunctions. I also shot some federal xm193 the gun ran like a champ.Just thought id let you guys know because I always hear bad things about steel cased russian ammo.

Randy from Kansas
05-21-2011, 21:28
Most if not all ARs or guns built to any specs that are close to AR be it BDR,DTI or BCM4 it will fire anything over and over again. Its a tough design and it works most every time if it did not function 99% of the time it would have been replaced years ago.

So I am glad you had a great time at the range with your new AR but I for one am not surprised it works like it needs to it is a fine gun, it has a nice balance of accuracy and dependability. In my own opion the AK is cheaper to build and more open in the specs to allow dirt mud etc into the action letting it run dirt and junk for ammo but accuracy is poor compared to the AR.

thisaway
05-21-2011, 23:17
I have not experienced any particular problem with any of the steel-cased ammo, and I have tried Tula, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Barnaul, Wolf, Monarch, and the Hornady steel-cased stuff. I don't expect match-quality accuracy from it, but I consider it to be good training/plinking ammo. And I surely enjoy not having to hunt down brass hulls all the time.

ColdBlooded
05-21-2011, 23:21
Just make sure she runs wet, and the AR platform will be there when you need it.

poodleshooter1
05-21-2011, 23:34
Just make sure she runs wet, and the AR platform will be there when you need it.

This......

boomhower
05-22-2011, 08:13
It runs fine in my DD as well. It's dirty, inaccurate, and underpowered but functions fine.

ScrappyDoo
05-22-2011, 11:28
It runs fine in my DD as well. It's dirty, inaccurate, and underpowered but functions fine.

See that is basically very well put, and I have some of this ammo both to shoot and to store.. It's what's cheap at the nearest Walmart, it's cheap also online, and if SHTF etc. it will do what I need it to do

My Bushmaster seems to deal with it. Will I run a carbine course or shoot a competition with it, no, but I'm not really ever going to do that anyway. and if i have some sort of need for real good ammo once or twice or whenever, I'll buy a great ammo and get a couple boxes when I need it.

Now I do realixe Bushmaster has a terrible opinion on the net and also its reputed to be terrible with Tula and other cheap and metal ammo but, what the hell, I guess i will just have to make repairs if and when something happens, hopefully nothing bad happens but you can't live expecting things to break or fail all the time, you'll never leave the house.

djegators
05-22-2011, 12:12
You will need to clean your chamber more frequently, you have to be careful if you shoot brass AFTER shooting a lot of steel case, and you are more likely to get a stuck chamber. Other than that, nothing wrong with steel for plinking/training.

toddmog
05-24-2011, 15:42
I bought 80 rounds as a test around Christmas time. My AR ate it like a champ. I went back and bought all 19 boxes that they had. Of that, I've only put another 60 or so downrange. All of it has been flawless. I just wish I had time to shoot more.

ScrappyDoo
05-24-2011, 17:19
You will need to clean your chamber more frequently, you have to be careful if you shoot brass AFTER shooting a lot of steel case, and you are more likely to get a stuck chamber. Other than that, nothing wrong with steel for plinking/training.

Hey could you explain that a little more, in depth I mean?

I was planning on shooting both a few times to test them on the fly and I had no idea i would potentially be exposin my AR to damage/danger etc. ... So you're saying I can't shoot a mag(mags) of brass ammo after shooting a decent amount of cheap metal ammo? If so I will make a note i just had no idea, thank you.

dc2integra
05-24-2011, 20:29
Just picked up another 100 rounds of tula ammo :supergrin: im thinking of going out shootin this weekend again.

micdude
05-24-2011, 21:56
Oh look and it didn't blow up,uh? :supergrin:

lucky-gunner
05-25-2011, 09:39
As long as you are running the AR heavily lubed you shouldn't have any issues with the steel ammo. I'm shooting quite a bit more of it this coming summer, as I'll be doing more 3 gun events and I don't get to collect my brass.

That and I'm realizing that I don't have as much time to reload as I used to.

BBJones
05-25-2011, 11:45
Hey could you explain that a little more, in depth I mean?

I was planning on shooting both a few times to test them on the fly and I had no idea i would potentially be exposin my AR to damage/danger etc. ... So you're saying I can't shoot a mag(mags) of brass ammo after shooting a decent amount of cheap metal ammo? If so I will make a note i just had no idea, thank you.

No he is not saying there is a risk of damaging your AR. In SOME guns there is a higher likelihood of stuck brass cases after shooting steel cased ammo. The reason is that the steel cased stuff puts alot of carbon in the chamber. It does not affect the steel cased ammo because the cases do not expand like brass does. When you put the brass cased stuffed in and it is fired the case will expand and because of the higher amount of carbon in the chamber (post shooting steel cased) the case could get stuck.

To repeat this does not always happen and in some guns it never happens. Only way to know is to test it in your AR. There is no risk of damage due to a stuck casing. If you run your AR wet and the chamber is a true 5.56 chamber this typically is less of an issue. I shoot steel cased extensively and it is not a problem for me. I do a very quick cleaning every 1000 rounds of steel or so. Basically wipe everything off and add more lube.

If you are anal and clean your AR everytime you use it, this will never be a problem for you.

Louisville Glocker
05-29-2011, 19:17
I'm an AR newbie, and just curious about the "stuck-casing" issue. Where does it get stuck? (i.e. would it be obvious and impossible to fire another subsequent round?)

I'm assuming my Colt 6920 would have no problem with it, but I guess only one way to find out.

Randy from Kansas
05-29-2011, 20:11
Stuck in the chamber and but good could not be removed till I used a rod down the barrel to bump it out I have had this happen and for some time I blamed the evil steel case Wolf but after some more shooting with brass cased ammo it kept on happening so I changed out the spring extractor and added a blue thing and O-ring and the problem was solved.

wolf is a dirty cheap ammo but I don't think it causes such problems for me.

Center Fire System has it for $199.99 with free shipping for 1000 rounds

tripintaz
05-29-2011, 22:32
MY RRA AR-15 went through about 500 rounds of TUL steel cased ammo without a problem. Then I had 3 stuck cases within 60 rounds. Not sure why, but I decided to never shoot it again. I stick with Silver Bear for range duty, and M193/M855 brass cased ammo when it really matters.

STI
05-30-2011, 07:31
Which of the non brass cased ammo seems to have less problems????????
I have tried the Wolf and no problems at all with it in both rifles, its sure good pricewise and in the bottomland the snakes never know the difference, It will not group as well as the PMC Bronze but close, most of my shots are 50yd or closer here, I clean my rifle 1 time a week usually for dirt or mud.

Foxtrotx1
05-30-2011, 07:54
Which of the non brass cased ammo seems to have less problems????????

Its really all the same. I honestly feel like the quality is just as good if not better than remmington UMC ammo. Steel case: The lack of a shiny brass case makes the noobs stay away. More for us.

Randy from Kansas
05-30-2011, 08:12
Its really all the same. I honestly feel like the quality is just as good if not better than remmington UMC ammo. Steel case: The lack of a shiny brass case makes the noobs stay away. More for us.

+1

buy some Silver Bear, Brown Bear, and Wolf and try in your rifle and see how it works for you. I think it will shoot minute of coyote in your rifle but results will vary. As much as you shoot STI depending on what you are shooting now it could lower your cost of shooting.