Who is the most seasoned cop on GT? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most seasoned cop on GT?

KiloBravo
05-21-2011, 23:18
I thought this might be a fun question. I hope to be able to participate in answering this question myself in the coming year if all goes well.

How many years have you all been an officer? If retired now, how many did you put in during your career?

CAcop
05-21-2011, 23:39
Almost 14 now.

Seasoned?

SAR

Crustiest?

Dragoon

ateamer
05-21-2011, 23:43
22 years, all with the same agency. A total of 18 years in patrol and four in court security. (One-year rotations in courts.) I should be back in patrol within a month. Six years until I can retire, seven until it's maxed out.

KiloBravo
05-21-2011, 23:44
Almost 14 now.

Seasoned?

SAR

Crustiest?

Dragoon

:rofl: I was wondering how long it would take for an old fart joke about Dragoon. :supergrin:

texmex
05-21-2011, 23:48
I started on August 17, 1974.

South Fla
05-21-2011, 23:57
Retired - 25 years, 2 months

Seasoned - Probably SAR

A real gunfighter - Dragoon

Best Gear Guys - Cochese and DaBigBR

Best Legal Eagle - wprebeck

Guys that you would want to ride with - CAcop & Lawman800

The Racker
05-22-2011, 00:06
Lordy, lordy. Such a question. I started in 1970 with a badge and a wheel gun. I then spent 36 years of having a great time in service. On my last day, I hated to go but I had to admit that jumping fences and chasing bad buys down the street was not as easy as it used to be (although I learned years ago that I could streight arm and knock down most wooden fences in back yards).

I am sure that some people would tell you that I was over seasoned but anyone who has sat in a patrol unit for a while can tell you experience counts. I found I did not like "desks."

At one time, I was in a class where the instructor had everyone tell what they had done. I was about number 7. It was easy to say, "yep, I have done what they all said." It was a great ride and I worked with great people. I do not miss the Bravo Sierra.

Now, I am a "used-to-be." I like that just fine.

Vigilant
05-22-2011, 00:19
Honorable mention for our old friend DEATHROW, a VERY seasoned CO. Wish he were still here.

Vigilant
05-22-2011, 00:22
Blueiron and 4949 also come to mind. And lest we forget, Blueiron's famous punchline:

"Hey hillbilly, did you even meet your sperm donor?" :thumbsup:

DaBigBR
05-22-2011, 01:02
Well I'm certainly not it. This August will only be eight years.

There was a Lieutenant with the university police here in my area that just retired after 40 years. Came OTJ in 1970, all of his time with the same agency. I think he is 62 or 63, so he could technically have stuck it out a couple more years. Really cool guy.

Doubletaps5105
05-22-2011, 01:04
Sworn in as Reserve in 1977, Regular with the same department on March 17, 1980 due to retire on May 29,2011. I then revert back to a Reserve (To keep my lettered M-4) on May 30,2011
from there we will see how it goes. I still have a sense of humor after 12 chiefs.

MeefZah
05-22-2011, 02:04
Good thread!

4949shooter
05-22-2011, 04:33
Vig,

I feel I am not worthy but thank you, Sir.

My vote is a tie between Dragoon, SAR, and blueiron.

4949shooter
05-22-2011, 04:39
Mas Ayoob should be mentioned also.

Cochese
05-22-2011, 04:41
Wow, honorable mention for being a gear queer! I'll take it. :supergrin:

I started the academy about when I joined GlockTalk. Serving since 2004. Three departments, two states. City, county, and state level. Would love to go Fed.

Cochese
05-22-2011, 04:42
The only thing salty on me is my vest carrier and my armpits.

Rohniss
05-22-2011, 05:38
Definitely not me, I'm a FNG with 3 years, but where I'm working I am blessed with the tales of "the way things used to be"... as we hire lots of retired surrounding municipalities...

Following the thread for the possibility of story time...

My Vote is for Dragoon, SAR or Mas...

I prefer "Geardo", but bow to your superiority :D

txleapd
05-22-2011, 06:26
There is a lot of experience/seasoning on CT. It's kinda hard to pick just one person.

Mas Ayoob
05-22-2011, 06:42
Nomination appreciated, but must decline. My decades as a sworn officer have all been part time, though the full time work was in related fields.

4949, Dragoon, ChiefWPD and more are the ones in the running for most seasoned, IMHO.

Dragoon44
05-22-2011, 07:12
There is a lot of experience/seasoning on CT. It's kinda hard to pick just one person.

^^^^^

This, To the OP, never make the mistake of equating years of service with seasoned or even competent. When I came on the job two of the officers with the most years of service (15 and 20 years respectively) were also the two most useless. They didn't have 15 and 20 years experience, they had one years experience repeated 15 and 20 times.

There are people that can learn how to be a good cop, there are people that seem literally born to do this job, they take to it like a fish to water and being a cop is not just a job or "what they do", it's what they are. Then there are those that if they stayed on the job for 50 years would still leave it without ever once being a good cop.

This board has a wealth of real "Seasoned" cops, many of them have many years of service while some have considerably less but still exhibit all the traits of a seasoned police officer.

In a medium like this those that have a gift for expressing themselves tend to stand out, but that does not mean they are more seasoned than many others. And those who are still on active duty have to be more restrained and watch what they say. While us old retired farts can say whatever we like.

That said there a those that I pay close attention to when they post, like seanmac45, series1811, SamSpade, SouthFla, Blueiron, CheifWPD, G27Chief, SAR, 4949, SwatBawana, are just a few.

Dragoon44
05-22-2011, 07:20
Nomination appreciated, but must decline. My decades as a sworn officer have all been part time, though the full time work was in related fields.

4949, Dragoon, ChiefWPD and more are the ones in the running for most seasoned, IMHO.

I'd go through a door with you anytime Mas,

I have met Mas personally, ( I took his LFI police instructors course back in 1988) He is an outstanding guy, while his LE career may have been part time he has what it takes, he is also one of the most down to earth guys I have ever met among well known personalities.

But Mas, greatest gift is his teaching ability, the man is a truly gifted teacher. I learned more in his class than I learned in most of the other firearms courses I have taken combined.

ChiefWPD
05-22-2011, 07:31

Thanks Mas! It's been a while since we've last seen each other (+25 years? Whose counting....). It was at the NYPD range at Rodman's Neck. You wrote an article on your visit, which I have a copy of.

Hope all is going well with you. I retired in Sept 2010 after 41 years (again, not that I'm counting the years!).

Rich

Arvinator
05-22-2011, 07:54
Been a cop for little over 21 years. Currently Patrol, On my 4th dept. in this time frame. all but 10-11 months has been for a PD, and I have served in Patrol, DARE/PR, CID(Detectives).
I do not consider myself seasoned or any other title except maybe a little arrogant and sarcastic to a few who I felt needed a shock of reality.
I try to help my fellow cops, and the best call I went on was where I took four people out of a burning house, they all were unharmed. One of the worst was a 11 year old girl that her dad had been raping her nightly for 2 years while mom was at work.
I have passed up a few jobs, offended several co-workers and let a few bosses know they should be charged for prostitution. Oh well, I still sleep well at night.
I have told my peers, bosses, and street contacts that I may offend them, but I won't lie to them...

Mongosafari
05-22-2011, 07:56
This September 11 will make 23 years under the belt.
In 2 years I'm eligible to retire --- in 9 years manditory retirement (57). Federal.

Also add 6 years active duty time to retirement equasion.

Sgt127
05-22-2011, 08:33
June of '84 as a Reserve. Full time December of '86. Same agency from the beginning. Kind of a rough city I chose. Tore up a few uniforms. Wouldn't have done anything different.

A6Gator
05-22-2011, 09:03

I have met Mas personally, ( I took his LFI police instructors course back in 1988) He is an outstanding guy, while his LE career may have been part time he has what it takes, he is also one of the most down to earth guys I have ever met among well known personalities.

But Mas, greatest gift is his teaching ability, the man is a truly gifted teacher. I learned more in his class than I learned in most of the other firearms courses I have taken combined.

I've shot w/Mas at a Tennessee IDPA match. He'll drill your lights out if you give him just a tiny bit to shoot at. And that was with a wheelgun! :wavey: Truly a good guy.

Mayhem like Me
05-22-2011, 09:15
Not the most seasoned, but I can be a little peppery..

27 years Total (CRAP 29 this july I'm getting old)
street cop
UC work assigned to a DEA task force...(crack) south florida
SWAT 23 years
CID
patrol supervisor
district commander
division commander (patrol CID and special operations)
worked a very short time implementing a courthouse security plan.
instructor.

Met Mas many years ago at a conference he was at the same Bar as Chuck Taylor, both were very nice .

My vote goes to Dragoon44

txleapd
05-22-2011, 10:20
My vote goes to Dragoon44

Dragoon isn't seasoned, as much as he's been cured by his saltiness.... :whistling:

:tongueout:

Dragoon44
05-22-2011, 10:23
Dragoon isn't seasoned, as much as he's been cured by his saltiness.... :whistling:

:laughabove::laughabove::laughabove:

4949shooter
05-22-2011, 11:33

I thank you Sir.

Mas Ayoob
05-22-2011, 11:55
Thanks Mas! It's been a while since we've last seen each other (+25 years? Whose counting....). It was at the NYPD range at Rodman's Neck. You wrote an article on your visit, which I have a copy of.

Hope all is going well with you. I retired in Sept 2010 after 41 years (again, not that I'm counting the years!).

Rich

Glad you made it through, Rich.

I still share your advice on ankle holsters with my students, and IIRC, put it in the Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry, too.

best,
Mas

MeefZah
05-22-2011, 12:19
Glad you made it through, Rich.

I still share your advice on ankle holsters with my students, and IIRC, put it in the Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry, too.

best,
Mas

I'm listening if you want to share it here...

cowboywannabe
05-22-2011, 12:54
dont know about seasoned, but in the deep south summer i become quite ripe.

AZLawDawg
05-22-2011, 13:08
I'll hit 6 years next month. I'm still wet behind the ears compared to most here.

As far as the most seasoned, there's a ton of experience on this section of the board, between Dragoon, SAR, Sam Spade, Blue Iron, and a host of others, it's hard to just pick one.

KiloBravo
05-22-2011, 13:47
WOW...I am not even an officer yet and I am really taken back by the number of years worth of experience on this forum. Every single cop here is a huge inspiration for me to keep following my dream. I am honored to call you all my mentors and friends. I hope that is okay with everybody. There are some great men and women in blue here. Thank you all for your service.

BamaTrooper
05-22-2011, 13:53
I was thinking totally different. I was going to claim most seasoned due to the time I attempted to arrest an Indian cook and he hit me with salt, pepper, curry, garam masala, and cardamom.

Vigilant
05-22-2011, 14:03
Mentors and friends. Exactly. Almost like one big, dysfunctional family, eh? :supergrin: Even a crusty CO like myself is capable of an occasional lucid thought. Six years in the joint here. Four as a CO, one uniformed in Admin, one as a Case Manager, still certified, and still capable of ruining someone's day if they demand to be treated like a prick. I still enjoy watching another sandwich artist having a fresh crap sandwich shoved down his throat. I call 'em sandwich artists because invariably, this type of problem inmate is highly skilled at making his own crap sandwich.

Every now and then, someone gets their panties in a wad when one of our seasoned veterans administers some 'corrective therapy'. Apparently they fail to remember that these good people have paid some serious dues to gain the experience which they share. They also sometimes fail to see just how valuable the butt chewing they just received could be if they take heed.

Cop Talk has helped me a lot through the years, and i'm grateful. I would like to think I have contributed from time to time in return. My thanks and respect to all of you.

Ajon412
05-22-2011, 14:04
^^^^^

This, To the OP, never make the mistake of equating years of service with seasoned or even competent. When I came on the job two of the officers with the most years of service (15 and 20 years respectively) were also the two most useless. They didn't have 15 and 20 years experience, they had one years experience repeated 15 and 20 times.

There are people that can learn how to be a good cop, there are people that seem literally born to do this job, they take to it like a fish to water and being a cop is not just a job or "what they do", it's what they are. Then there are those that if they stayed on the job for 50 years would still leave it without ever once being a good cop.

This board has a wealth of real "Seasoned" cops, many of them have many years of service while some have considerably less but still exhibit all the traits of a seasoned police officer.

In a medium like this those that have a gift for expressing themselves tend to stand out, but that does not mean they are more seasoned than many others. And those who are still on active duty have to be more restrained and watch what they say. While us old retired farts can say whatever we like.

That said there a those that I pay close attention to when they post, like seanmac45, series1811, SamSpade, SouthFla, Blueiron, CheifWPD, G27Chief, SAR, 4949, SwatBawana, are just a few.

Spot on Brother..Truer words have never been spoken....I've been doing this for just about 30 years now (20 on my prior agency and just about 10 with my current). Boy, does time fly when you're having a "Blast" and I still can't believe I've been doing it this long.... When I started back in 1982, as a "rookie" in the command, I got "STUCK" with one of the most useless cops I have ever met. We would be assigned the "crappiest" sector and would literally "sit" on the corner of "Walk and Don't Walk" for the entire tour, unless we were given an assignment. He would actually tell me "kid,don't answer the radio unless I tell you to". Needless to say that this made for very long tours...
I had this extreme on one end and the "6 month wonder" on the other. You know the guy / "know it all" who graduated the academy 6 months before you and was telling war stories as if he had 20 years on. The "fun" part was trying to stay away from both extremes, but that wasn't alway successful.

Vigilant
05-22-2011, 14:04
I was thinking totally different. I was going to claim most seasoned due to the time I attempted to arrest an Indian cook and he hit me with salt, pepper, curry, garam masala, and cardamom.

So... how was the curry?

Dragoon44
05-22-2011, 14:15
So... how was the curry?

More important, was the Indian chef practicing concealed curry or open curry?

:cool:

Vigilant
05-22-2011, 14:27

Oh man. Oh man. I think I pulled a muscle. :rofl:

AZLawDawg
05-22-2011, 14:31
Freakin' hungry now. Thanks.

Sgt127
05-22-2011, 14:43

Years ago, my Sgt handed me a murder warrant. Guy was supposed to be staying on the west end of our town in a motel. Name was something "Patel".

I walk into the first motel in my beat. "Hey there, I'm looking for a Mr. Patel, is he here?"

Guy walks out from the back room, "I'm mr. Patel, can I help you?"

Bout pooped my pants. asked him to come talk to me for a second...I'm thinking, damn, this was too easy, he's not even a little hinky, I'lll just play it cool...Felony, on view arrest 5 minutes out of briefing, I'm a damn super cop.

I get his ID, ok, wrong first name and DOB. Thank him for his time.

Go to the motel next door....Same routine..."Mr. Patel anywhere around?".....

"Yes Sir, Officer, what can I do for you"

Somewhere around Mr. Patel #5 I figured it was an elaborate hose job or something...I had no idea how many Patels there were in the world. Kinda like if theres an armed robbery,and the vehicle description is a lavender Plymouth Mini van, fo the next 30 minutes, every EFING car you pass is a lavender Plymouth mini van.....

Finally one of them must have felt sorry for me and told me that Patel was "inkeeper" and there would be at least one or two Patels in every motel in the city...

Went and found a white boy cruising the hood that just scored crack and arrested him to make myself feel better...

Snowman92D
05-22-2011, 15:05
I started out in 1971 and retired in June of 2010, but I'm a choirboy compared to Dragoon and some of the other jaded ruffians around here. :whistling:

Patchman
05-22-2011, 15:07
Since 1999, for a total of 12 years. I've always been told the first ten years goes fast (it did), but the second ten years goes even faster. That's scary.

Vigilant
05-22-2011, 15:23

Alright, I'm putting on my detective's hat, since some people call me a dick. Reading between the lines, I suspect the curry was concealed as a backup. My gut feeling tells me his primary was couscous, but that he kept the pot empty for tactical reasons. Cursed lurkers, coming to Cop Talk and reading all our trade secrets! All the more reason for verified membership.

I rest my case. :whistling:

blueiron
05-22-2011, 15:30
There are many coppers here who have earned the nearly smooth badge that denotes the hard earned title of '"seasoned" and it isn't based solely on time in grade. Some of them have < 10 years on and they are hard chargers. Lots of grizzled old timers with the drive as well, and that is impossible to fake over time.

Thanks to all who nominated me, but many have done far more than I did. I'll just claim the old USMC term of "salty", since it can be turned into a double entendre and I always enjoyed make rookie female cops blush. After all, I am now just a contentious citizen who earned all of his Rights back and gets a nominal sum for staying away and not corrupting the politically correct youngsters with stories of saps, PR24s, .44 Special wheelguns, no portable radios, and a two week FTO period.

I sincerely thank you.

Thread drift warning ahead!

The old timers here got that way because of the old timers in their time - it is time for me to thank that person now.

I do have to throw out a sad farewell car to car message to Captain Michael T. Watters. He died on 08 March 2011 and was part of the 9th MEB that landed at Da Nang, RVN in 1965 and fought his was though the north end for over a year. He later when on to become a cop and worked his way up to Captain. He helped guide a growing agency through a lot of pains, showed a lot of rookie cops what policing really was, and gave two former Marines hell when we didn't far exceed what others did.

He looked a bit like the Marine Corps bulldog and always had a stogie jammed into his jaw. He always said that one never knew when a stinker [decomp] was around the corner and a good cop was always ready for anything. It was his little excuse to indulge his guilty pleasure.

Unfortunately, he never retired from the PD. He was fired by a new evangelical and highly religious chief of police for violating the one time Arizona law of "living in open and notorious cohabitation" with an executive secretary for the city. He went on to own his dream - a golf shop and later became an area manager for an armored transport service.

Skipper, thanks for the kicks in the rear when I deserved them, for the breaks when I needed them, for the high standards and the realization that policing is not much more than the application of practical psychology - either by word or by other means. Thanks for all you did and for being the Old Salt in command who had a quick laugh and a practical joke.

Goodbye Mike and walk your post in Heaven well. Thanks for helping me become a salty old citizen who once had the honor of serving with men like you.

Ajon412
05-22-2011, 15:45
Blueiron.....What a touching tribute to your mentor and friend....

txleapd
05-22-2011, 15:56
Freakin' hungry now. Thanks.

I detest Indian food.... Especially curry. :puking:

It got worse after I took a call at a house, and the curry was so strong it literally burned my eyes. We couldn't breath inside the place. It was horrible. The place was also a complete mess. Trash everywhere. Dirty diapers laying around on the floor. A filthy 3 year old kid was running around the house naked, and at one point just pissed on the carpet right in front of everyone. It was like he didn't even know he should have been using a restroom. His patents didn't even blink at it. The smell stuck to me the rest of the shift. It was all so freaking bizarre....

I didn't like Indian food before that. Now I get physically ill at the smell of it.

*shudder*

txleapd
05-22-2011, 16:00
Goodbye Mike and walk your post in Heaven well.

:fallenofficer:

Pinki
05-22-2011, 16:05

So... how was the curry?

Alright, I'm putting on my detective's hat, since some people call me a dick. Reading between the lines, I suspect the curry was concealed as a backup. My gut feeling tells me his primary was couscous, but that he kept the pot empty for tactical reasons. Cursed lurkers, coming to Cop Talk and reading all our trade secrets! All the more reason for verified membership.

I rest my case. :whistling:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Pinki
05-22-2011, 16:12
There are many coppers here who have earned the nearly smooth badge that denotes the hard earned title of '"seasoned" and it isn't based solely on time in grade. Some of them have < 10 years on and they are hard chargers. Lots of grizzled old timers with the drive as well, and that is impossible to fake over time.

Thanks to all who nominated me, but many have done far more than I did. I'll just claim the old USMC term of "salty", since it can be turned into a double entendre and I always enjoyed make rookie female cops blush. After all, I am now just a contentious citizen who earned all of his Rights back and gets a nominal sum for staying away and not corrupting the politically correct youngsters with stories of saps, PR24s, .44 Special wheelguns, no portable radios, and a two week FTO period.

I sincerely thank you.

The old timers here got that way because of the old timers in their time - it is time for me to thank that person now.

I do have to throw out a sad farewell car to car message to Captain Michael T. Watters. He died on 08 March 2011 and was part of the 9th MEB that landed at Da Nang, RVN in 1965 and fought his was though the north end for over a year. He later when on to become a cop and worked his way up to Captain. He helped guide a growing agency through a lot of pains, showed a lot of rookie cops what policing really was, and gave two former Marines hell when we didn't far exceed what others did.

He looked a bit like the Marine Corps bulldog and always had a stogie jammed into his jaw. He always said that one never knew when a stinker [decomp] was around the corner and a good cop was always ready for anything. It was his little excuse to indulge his guilty pleasure.

Unfortunately, he never retired from the PD. He was fired by a new evangelical and highly religious chief of police for violating the one time Arizona law of "living in open and notorious cohabitation" with an executive secretary for the city. He went on to own his dream - a golf shop and later became an area manager for an armored transport service.

Skipper, thanks for the kicks in the rear when I deserved them, for the breaks when I needed them, for the high standards and the realization that policing is not much more than the application of practical psychology - either by word or by other means. Thanks for all you did and for being the Old Salt in command who had a quick laugh and a practical joke.

Goodbye Mike and walk your post in Heaven well. Thanks for helping me become a salty old citizen who once had the honor of serving with men like you.

:angel: :sadangel:

South Fla
05-22-2011, 16:12

I called you a "Gear Guy" because I didn't want to call you a "Gear Queer", being PC you understand.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

South Fla
05-22-2011, 16:38

I am honored and humbled to be mentioned in the same sentence with these guys. Thanks Dragoon!

Vigilant
05-22-2011, 17:23

The only one here that I pay close attention to is Pinki. :thumbsup:

Pinki
05-22-2011, 17:47

:rofl::rofl::rofl::wavey:

Dragoon44

I got something else I want to do close with Pinki.

:supergrin:

Pinki
I got something else I want to do close with Pinki.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Vigilant
05-22-2011, 17:50
Winter will be here before we know it. Why is it that I always start to feel AWFUL nice in early Fall? :rofl:

lwt210
05-22-2011, 17:54
Started on my 27th birthday in 1996.

What is that? Nearly 15 years?

Surely not. Jeez how time flies. I have a digipic of my first academy graduation picture. Looks nothing like me. :supergrin:

Did anyone mention CC99? Maybe I am the only one that remembers him.

VA27
05-22-2011, 18:24
Hired on in January, 1976. Still here.

lawandorder
05-22-2011, 18:47
June 1976 worked for two different municipal departments for a few years and then went to work as a State Park Ranger. Different but have enjoyed every minute of it.

cowboywannabe
05-22-2011, 18:56
dont know about seasoned, but in the deep south summer i become quite ripe.

ya know, i put a lot of thought in to this little quip and thought it was quite funny, yet nobody gave me any props..... where the hell is my pitty party?:crying:

KiloBravo
05-22-2011, 19:21
ya know, i put a lot of thought in to this little quip and thought it was quite funny, yet nobody gave me any props..... where the hell is my pitty party?:crying:

Please allow me...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That was a good one! :supergrin:

Vigilant
05-22-2011, 19:25
:rofl::rofl::rofl::wavey:

:wavey:

igor
05-22-2011, 19:26
i started out as a part time boro cop in pa oct 71 after the army and while in grad school. went to baltimore city in 1973, then went to aa county dec 74.i retired first 5/96,from univ of md in june 2003 and as a aa co dep sheriff 1 oct 2008.
that makes me a rookie compared to you truely old guys. it was a hoot b eing the police. much better than being a clinical psychologist which i was trained as. now the time i was able to fly choppers abd be a police well that was golden truely golden.

Rabbi
05-22-2011, 22:33
I thought this was going to be a thread about some cops with a food fetish and something their wife did to them with a jug of garlic salt...

AZLawDawg
05-22-2011, 22:47

Dude, you are freakin' awesome.

and seasoned too! :supergrin:

lawman800
05-23-2011, 02:01
Started the academy in fall of 1994, pinned on the badge in 1995, took some time off (long story), but never let the drive go away and got back into it because I just couldn't stay away. Now I am at that point where I want to look for different things to do but too old to start over but still young enough to have that drive. What to do, what to do.

For most seasoned? It's a toss up between the names already mentioned... SAR, Dragoon, Sam Spade, 4949, Blueiron, G27Chief, WPDChief, Ajon, Trigger Finger, etc. From their posts, and some PM's I had with them, I have no reservations whatsoever about believing in their experience and wisdom.:bowdown:

Big BR and Cochese definitely are the gear whores. If I have any questions about gear, it's those guys I would ask... except for closed top magazine pouches, that is. I know way more about closed top magazine pouches than those two, that's for sure.:supergrin:

Sam Spade and Wesprebeck get top votes for criminal case law wizards. I am ashamed at myself for not being more up on those things but as my concentration is on other areas, I have enough to read without reading up on extra criminal law on my own time for fun, other than as necessary from the briefings and memos.:crying:

South Fla, I am honored to be mentioned as a fun guy to ride with. I'll definitely know all the good eating spots and have a lot of fun out there hookin & bookin while constantly cracking jokes. As long as you can tolerate me blasting my techno dance rave music all night, that is....:whistling:

silverado_mick
05-23-2011, 02:51
Been on 5 years total. I'm just a pup.

Hack
05-23-2011, 03:08
I have been on since 1996 in corrections. I worked a little over five years for the state, and went to the feds to work for them in the same field. Still working it, I have seen a lot of things, heard of a lot more things. Seasoning: Dragoon is a resident ol fart whom I have gained some respect for. A lot of good others too. I have enjoyed reading what was in this thread. That is why I waited to post. I just wanted to read a little for awhile.

silverado_mick
05-23-2011, 03:23
Oh and if I had to pick someone from here to ride with I'd have to say Pinki...I'd wager she smells a whole lot better than some of you other louts :tongueout:

ChiefWPD
05-23-2011, 07:12
Problem is, once you get to my age, you've mostly forgotten all the good stuff to know... :shocked:

Mas Ayoob
05-23-2011, 07:44
I'm listening if you want to share it here...

Chief WPD's ankle holster tip:

Most folks put the gun in the holster, and strap it to the ankle. All those years ago at Rodman's Neck, Rich showed me that if you adjust the empty holster in place on the ankle first, and THEN insert the gun, it rides much more comfortably and concealably with less movement and shifting, but does not seem any more constrictive to the ankle.

One of those seemingly little things born of experience that make a BIG difference.

Thanks for that again, Rich!

Glockdude1
05-23-2011, 07:59

I started the academy about when I joined GlockTalk. Serving since 2004. Three departments, two states. City, county, and state level. Would love to go Fed.

What is stopping you?

lawman800
05-23-2011, 08:41
What is stopping you?

Because deep down inside, he knows he will miss the monkey suit. Chicks dig it!

Glockdude1
05-23-2011, 09:16
Because deep down inside, he knows he will miss the monkey suit. Chicks dig it!

:rofl:

MeefZah
05-23-2011, 09:39

Most folks put the gun in the holster, and strap it to the ankle. All those years ago at Rodman's Neck, Rich showed me that if you adjust the empty holster in place on the ankle first, and THEN insert the gun, it rides much more comfortably and concealably with less movement and shifting, but does not seem any more constrictive to the ankle.

One of those seemingly little things born of experience that make a BIG difference.

Brilliant!

ChiefWPD
05-23-2011, 11:28

Mas:

Next time you're on (or near) Cape Cod give me a call and I'll buy the sandwiches.

Rich

BamaTrooper
05-23-2011, 11:34

Hey Mas, you going to make it to the Dawsonville match?

CJStudent
05-23-2011, 11:47

I remember reading that, both on here and in one of your magazine articles (Handgunner, maybe?). Good advice, and I've passed it on.

Vigilant
05-23-2011, 12:04
I have picked up several noteworthy bits of advice from Mas through the years, via the gun rags. And I'm grateful. Glad to see him posting here.

South Fla
05-23-2011, 12:48
South Fla, I am honored to be mentioned as a fun guy to ride with. I'll definitely know all the good eating spots and have a lot of fun out there hookin & bookin while constantly cracking jokes. As long as you can tolerate me blasting my techno dance rave music all night, that is....:whistling:

As long as we can still hear the radio and take calls, its all good. :thumbsup:

lawman800
05-23-2011, 13:30
As long as we can still hear the radio and take calls, its all good. :thumbsup:

Taking radio calls? Oh yeah... We can do that too!

1 old 0311
05-23-2011, 13:47
Nobody mentioned Alaskepopo. Isn't he also a highly experienced LEO or is his expertise limited to military issues?

lawman800
05-23-2011, 14:05
Alaskapopo is actually the weapons guru when it comes to the AR platform. He has tested every accessory and mod out there and does a T&E thread with awesome pics like nobody's business. In a small squad, he would be the light weapons expert while AK_Stick can be the heavy weapons expert.

Then I guess the old "Hannibal Smith" character can be one of these seasoned guys that we all pretty much agree on. Heck, Dragoon was already retired when the original Hannibal started his campaign of world conquest!

SAR
05-23-2011, 15:12
Seasoned?

SAR

:embarassed: I'm honored to be mentioned in so many posts in this thread. All I can say is that knowledge comes with longevity in a profession not known for it. When I first started back in the late 70's, twenty years was the most you could expect out of an officer before they retired, but now, having worked in five distinct decades, I'm here to say that the current generation has their work cut out for them. It was a lot easier back then to be a cop. Life was pretty much black and white with very few shades of gray. These days, the youngsters have to dodge so many landmines, I'm not sure I could do it if I started all over again...

Pinki
05-23-2011, 16:06
Oh and if I had to pick someone from here to ride with I'd have to say Pinki...I'd wager she smells a whole lot better than some of you other louts :tongueout:

Cochese
05-23-2011, 16:38
I called you a "Gear Guy" because I didn't want to call you a "Gear Queer", being PC you understand.

I would have never pegged you for PC.:supergrin:

Started the academy in fall of 1994, pinned on the badge in 1995, took some time off (long story), but never let the drive go away and got back into it because I just couldn't stay away. Now I am at that point where I want to look for different things to do but too old to start over but still young enough to have that drive. What to do, what to do.

For most seasoned? It's a toss up between the names already mentioned... SAR, Dragoon, Sam Spade, 4949, Blueiron, G27Chief, WPDChief, Ajon, Trigger Finger, etc. From their posts, and some PM's I had with them, I have no reservations whatsoever about believing in their experience and wisdom.:bowdown:

Big BR and Cochese definitely are the gear whores. If I have any questions about gear, it's those guys I would ask... except for closed top magazine pouches, that is. I know way more about closed top magazine pouches than those two, that's for sure.:supergrin:

Sam Spade and Wesprebeck get top votes for criminal case law wizards. I am ashamed at myself for not being more up on those things but as my concentration is on other areas, I have enough to read without reading up on extra criminal law on my own time for fun, other than as necessary from the briefings and memos.:crying:

I know that closed top mag ******s probably protect your reloads from Taco Bell shrapnel better than the opens!

What is stopping you?

The **** hiring processes, mostly!

I have apps in with four fed agencies and one state agency for 1811 and an 1801. Fingers crossed!

Mayhem like Me
05-23-2011, 16:40
Among the elder set,,, who remembers the magazine PPN..

Questions
1. What did it stand for?

2. What was on the last page and why did you look forward to it.?

Dragoon44
05-23-2011, 16:46

Questions

Police Product News

I wouldn't know I only read PPN for the stories. :whistling:

blueiron
05-23-2011, 18:31

Questions

A. Police Product News.

B. A rather interesting calendar to help you not forget Court or your libido. Pinki should do a charity calendar for sale to CTers, after all.... it's for the children.

Vigilant
05-23-2011, 18:41
Want some candy, little girl? :supergrin:

txleapd
05-23-2011, 18:52
I'm a legend in my own mind.... Does that count for anything? :whistling:

Dragoon44
05-23-2011, 18:58
I'm a legend in my own mind.... Does that count for anything? :whistling:

That would be a pretty tiny legend wouldn't it?

:tongueout::rofl::rofl:

Sorry bro, I couldn't resist.

:embarassed:

txleapd
05-23-2011, 19:02
That would be a pretty tiny legend wouldn't it?

:tongueout::rofl::rofl:

Sorry bro, I couldn't resist.

:embarassed:

Hey! I resemble that remark! :tongueout:

Pinki
05-23-2011, 19:12
A. Police Product News.

B. A rather interesting calendar to help you not forget Court or your libido. Pinki should do a charity calendar for sale to CTers, after all.... it's for the children.

Hunca Munca
05-23-2011, 19:25
Problem is, once you get to my age, you've mostly forgotten all the good stuff to know... :shocked:

That reminds me of Irish Alzheimer's:

You forget everything except grudges!!!

PuroMexicano
05-23-2011, 19:28
What is stopping you?

the background check :rofl:

CAcop
05-23-2011, 19:29
Retired - 25 years, 2 months

Seasoned - Probably SAR

Best Gear Guys - Cochese and DaBigBR

Best Legal Eagle - wprebeck

Guys that you would want to ride with - CAcop & Lawman800

This one I had to think about. At first I was thinking ride along. I get this feeling when most leave after the shift they scratch their head and wonder if all cops are like me. Only one ride along every got me and she was a soon to be Bobby from England.

Then I thought you might be talking about riding with as a partner. If that is the case than I consider that to be a great honor. The times I have gotten hurt the worst in my career have been me backing up my coworkers. As much as the injuries still bother me today I would be far more troubled if my coworkers had gotten hurt because I didn't step up.

I also am an oddball and a goofball so I entertain. Unintentionally. An FTO once worte for my nightly eval, "He drives better than he walks."

Dragoon44
05-23-2011, 19:41
the background check :rofl:

Speaking of seasoned cops, where ya been?

In Puro's case he is seasoned with Chipolte.

lawandorder
05-23-2011, 19:43
Remember the 10-9 page in PPN? There is a photo of me at a small plane crash from one of those old days gone by.

Sure would like to find a copy of that issue.

ateamer
05-23-2011, 22:09
Remember the 10-9 page in PPN? There is a photo of me at a small plane crash from one of those old days gone by.
PPN was a pretty good mag. They had a nice calendar each month, too. "Do you have court today?"

lawman800
05-23-2011, 22:57
I remember PPN and that calendar. I saw it once a long long time ago in an old crusty sergeant's office. I thought the "Do you have court today" tagline was the coolest thing ever. We recreated our own version to keep track of court and OT shifts but it didn't have any graphics or pictures... More's the pity.

South Fla
05-24-2011, 00:41
Then I thought you might be talking about riding with as a partner. If that is the case than I consider that to be a great honor. The times I have gotten hurt the worst in my career have been me backing up my coworkers. As much as the injuries still bother me today I would be far more troubled if my coworkers had gotten hurt because I didn't step up.

This is exactly what I meant. I always gravitated toward coppers that wanted to seek out the bad guys and put them in jail. The kind of guys that had honor and integrity that they knew that as long as they followed the SOP's 100% and did what was 100% right, no matter who's toes got stepped on, were the kind of guys I wanted to run with.

And what I mean by seeking out the bad guys, is not stopping every car that goes down the highway and searching to find a month-old roach in the ashtray and thinking they are Eliot Ness. Or guys that can't take radio calls because they stop 30 cars a day and are writing tags, hoping to catch a suspended OL or two.

Guys that got the warrant sheet at the beginning of the shift and tried to serve at least a couple a shift. Or guys that patrolled the motel parking lots, running tags looking for stolen cars and waiting for them to drive away. Or guys that were actually on patrol and close to burglary calls and the like and actually catching one. I'd rather catch 1 burglar than write a book of citations a day.

I also am an oddball and a goofball so I entertain. Unintentionally. An FTO once worte for my nightly eval, "He drives better than he walks."

I had a Police Chaplain, a Christian minister, ride with me on a Friday night where it was really super busy. After the shift was over,back at the station, somebody asked him how he liked the ride along. His comment was:

"If I wanted to ride Space Mountain, I would have gone to Disney."

Funny, I can't remember anybody riding along any more. :rofl:

Mas Ayoob
05-24-2011, 08:25
Hey Mas, you going to make it to the Dawsonville match?

BamaTrooper, "God willin' an' the creek don't rise," I'll see ya in Dawsonville.:wavey:

Mayhem like Me
05-24-2011, 08:27
What Dawsonville GA???

lawman800
05-24-2011, 08:43
I take pride in being a producer. I like it when our records people groan when seeing how much stuff I brought back for them to book and inventory. I love having actual arrests next to the reports taken stat instead of the guys who only take a bunch of reports to pad their stats. My numbers may be lower but there are bodies attached to them.

Mas Ayoob
05-24-2011, 08:49
What Dawsonville GA???

Glock match, one of the best and biggest on the GSSF circuit. Y'all oughta come!

DonGlock26
05-24-2011, 09:20
Who is the most seasoned cop on GT?

That Athenian- Dragoon.

_

PuroMexicano
05-24-2011, 12:07
Speaking of seasoned cops, where ya been?

In Puro's case he is seasoned with Chipolte.

Mayhem like Me
05-24-2011, 14:19
Glock match, one of the best and biggest on the GSSF circuit. Y'all oughta come!

I did not know I have not done GSSF in years, I will sign up and attend I would like to meet Bamatrooper. and see you sling some lead...

BamaTrooper
05-24-2011, 14:22
I did not know I have not done GSSF in years, I will sign up and attend I would like to meet Bamatrooper. and see you sling some lead...

Well come on and shoot, the more the merrier.

Mas Ayoob
05-24-2011, 16:34
Send me a PM, Swatbwana, maybe we can all hook up there for a bite to eat prior to the match or something.

lawman800
05-24-2011, 17:40
Don't eat too much! You're going to get a cramp!

Mayhem like Me
05-24-2011, 18:05
Send me a PM, Swatbwana, maybe we can all hook up there for a bite to eat prior to the match or something.
will do

nate527
05-24-2011, 19:12
Good Lord willing I'll hit 16 years in July. Started at 21. I have nothing but respect for the folks who've been on since they went through the academy with Jesus....:whistling:

Dragoon44
05-24-2011, 19:16
Good Lord willing I'll hit 16 years in July. Started at 21. I have nothing but respect for the folks who've been on since they went through the academy with Jesus....:whistling:

Jesus washed out of the academy, He kept wanting to do that turn the other cheek thing, instead of put their dick in the dirt thing.

:tongueout::rofl:

Vigilant
05-24-2011, 19:42
Jesus washed out of the academy, He kept wanting to do that turn the other cheek thing, instead of put their dick in the dirt thing.

Rumor has it that He never even went through the application process. Based on my limited intel, it appears that He works in a support capacity. :thumbsup:

Mayhem like Me
05-24-2011, 19:46

And that whole water into wine thing ....

lawman800
05-24-2011, 19:48
Water into wine worked well for the Christmas parties though, as did the never ending bucket of fish.

fastbolt
05-24-2011, 20:07
Hmmm?

Well seasoned... as in "tasty"?

I was always told I was on the heavily salted end of things.

lawman800
05-24-2011, 21:15
Hmmm?

Well seasoned... as in "tasty"?

I was always told I was on the heavily salted end of things.

Hmmm... I have been called "tasty" or "delicious" in uniform but not by coworkers.:whistling: (Thank GOD!)

Hack
05-25-2011, 07:23

That was only if it was your spiritual brother. You're talking about the same fellow who cleared the temple of violators and with force. Don't make me bring the Christian Centurion Squad out. :whistling:

Dragoon44
05-25-2011, 08:04
That was only if it was your spiritual brother. You're talking about the same fellow who cleared the temple of violators and with force. Don't make me bring the Christian Centurion Squad out. :whistling:

My Favorite Jesus quote is, "wisdom is justified of her children" He was pointing out the inconsistencies of the arguments of his opponents. Today and to use that seems a very mild rebuke but in his day it was quite harsh.

In todays language it would go something like, "If your argument was true then it would remain consistent, since it's not it not only shows how false your argument is, but how stupid you are."

Hack
05-25-2011, 08:16
My Favorite Jesus quote is, "wisdom is justified of her children" He was pointing out the inconsistencies of the arguments of his opponents. Today and to use that seems a very mild rebuke but in his day it was quite harsh.

In todays language it would go something like, "If your argument was true then it would remain consistent, since it's not it not only shows how false your argument is, but how stupid you are."

Indeed. Trouble is, where I work there are so many who are not educated to at least the high school level, that they would understand it in that wording.:supergrin:

Vigilant
05-25-2011, 09:27
My favorite one went something like: "Now let me tell you something, you bloody rectal commedian".

Oh wait. That was someone else. :thumbsup:

Seriously, I agree with Hack in that there are some Christian teachings which were meant in a certain context. For example, it was customary for some in years past to accept any accusations that were made toward them, true or false, out of reverence for Christ enduring all the false accusations that came His way. That's fine in a cloistered environment, such as a convent. In our world, we would not last with that mindset.

lawman800
05-25-2011, 10:53
"I fart in your general direction."

That's my favorite insult. It is very dismissive yet funny at the same time.

Dragoon44
05-25-2011, 11:00
"I fart in your general direction."

That's my favorite insult. It is very dismissive yet funny at the same time.

" your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries."

lawman800
05-25-2011, 11:01
" your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries."

Your breath is so bad, I wish you would just fart instead.

pgg00
05-25-2011, 11:36
Started in 1998. Nowhere near the level of people here. And I don't have the sophistication of Cochese, Alaskapopo, or Lawman800

On a side note, why can't we have shoot on the northwest coast? I can't afford to go to GA :crying:

Mas Ayoob
05-25-2011, 11:55
PGG00, at least one of us is going to be at the Washington State IDPA championships this year, www.idpa.com. ...

pgg00
05-25-2011, 12:11
PGG00, at least one of us is going to be at the Washington State IDPA championships this year, www.idpa.com (http://www.idpa.com). ...

Hopefully I have those days off. Would be nice to watch. I'm nowhere near that good to get into the match.

PS. You wrote an article a few years ago about an incident a friend of mine was in. I've used it several times for training classes since.

series1811
07-12-2011, 10:38

You're not kidding. A class act all the way. I think I have read pretty much everything Mas has written, a lot of it more than once. I really think that there are at least a couple of times that I didn't get hurt or worse, by applying lessons I learned from him.

Dragoon44
07-12-2011, 10:43
You're not kidding. A class act all the way. I think I have read pretty much everything Mas has written, a lot of it more than once. I really think that there are at least a couple of times that I didn't get hurt or worse, by applying lessons I learned from him.

So there you are slacker! long time no see, you gonna use the excuse that yo got a life?

Good to see ya Bro!

Napalm561
07-12-2011, 13:17
Almost 14 now.

Seasoned?

SAR

Crustiest?

Dragoon

Dragon has a picture of Jesus in his high school year book.

Vigilant
07-12-2011, 13:41

Come on now, let's keep this real. I did hear that he and Atilla the Hun were roommates in College. :supergrin:

lawman800
07-12-2011, 13:59

Dragoon was the old, crusty custodian. Dragoon graduated from high school on day four. By day seven, he was already the night watchman at the garden of eden.

PuroMexicano
07-12-2011, 17:13
stop making fun of old people, it's not correct!!!

Vigilant
07-12-2011, 17:56
Hey Puro! How do you feel about illegal immigration? :rofl:

RussP
07-12-2011, 19:30
Dragoon was the old, crusty custodian. Dragoon graduated from high school on day four. By day seven, he was already the night watchman at the garden of eden.So he's responsible for letting the serpent in?

lawman800
07-12-2011, 19:50
So he's responsible for letting the serpent in?

No no no... he hatched the serpent when the serpent was still in the egg on Day 5. Dragoon's first call as a police officer was serving the eviction notice on Adam and Eve for violating the terms of their rental agreement.

I heard Dragoon didn't have his hat on and he did follow Eve on foot for 7 days in the desert, but that was before there was a jurisdiction since the tribes have not set boundaries yet.

Hack
07-12-2011, 21:34
No no no... he hatched the serpent when the serpent was still in the egg on Day 5. Dragoon's first call as a police officer was serving the eviction notice on Adam and Eve for violating the terms of their rental agreement.

I heard Dragoon didn't have his hat on and he did follow Eve on foot for 7 days in the desert, but that was before there was a jurisdiction since the tribes have not set boundaries yet.

I am beginning to think it is time to get out the chest waders.:rofl:

steveksux
07-12-2011, 22:51
I don't recall if that guy actually passed and became a cop, but if he did make it, I think the obvious answer is the guy that posted the thread about psych evals and "the one time" thing with peanut butter and the dog.

Unless peanut butter is technically "not" considered a seasoning. :dunno:

Randy

lawman800
07-13-2011, 01:47
I don't recall if that guy actually passed and became a cop, but if he did make it, I think the obvious answer is the guy that posted the thread about psych evals and "the one time" thing with peanut butter and the dog.

Unless peanut butter is technically "not" considered a seasoning. :dunno:

Randy

I would rule peanut butter as actual foodstuff and not a seasoning. OC is food grade and that can be a seasoning. So whoever got sprayed a lot qualifies.

Glockdude1
07-13-2011, 08:19
I am beginning to think it is time to get out the chest waders.:rofl:

I'm thinking......

http://uctv.uconn.edu/wordpress/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/viking-dkr-liferaft-101-p.jpg

Gotta have room for all of us in this thread......... :supergrin:

Hack
07-13-2011, 08:23
I'm thinking......

http://uctv.uconn.edu/wordpress/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/viking-dkr-liferaft-101-p.jpg

It's gettin' deep I tell ya!:rofl:

Mayhem like Me
07-13-2011, 08:51
I'm thinking......

That brings back memories of "the carrot Patch" on stickdeath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elj2m1x-oEk

David Armstrong
07-13-2011, 08:59
I'm not sure just how to figure this, as I retired twice and still work part-time occassionally, but let's put it like this...I remember the first article Mas Ayoob had printed in Police Product News!

PuroMexicano
07-13-2011, 11:20
Hey Puro! How do you feel about illegal immigration? :rofl:

:steamed::steamed::steamed: :tongueout:

lawman800
07-13-2011, 14:02
Now that you brought it up, how do you feel about illegal immigration, Puro?

DaBigBR
07-13-2011, 14:50
That brings back memories of "the carrot Patch" on stickdeath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elj2m1x-oEk

Wow...Stickdeath! That was a LONG time ago!

South Fla
07-13-2011, 15:59

So let me get this straight....

Lawman800 asks Puro what he thought about illegal immigration.

I didn't know that there were that many gringos trying to cross the border into Mexico.

:dunno::dunno::supergrin:

PuroMexicano
07-13-2011, 16:00

:brickwall::rant::faint::ack: :supergrin:

PuroMexicano
07-13-2011, 16:01
So let me get this straight....

Lawman800 asks Puro what he thought about illegal immigration.

I didn't know that there were that many gringos trying to cross the border into Mexico.

:dunno::dunno::supergrin:

You'd be surprised! :rofl: :supergrin:

South Fla
07-13-2011, 17:41
You'd be surprised! :rofl: :supergrin:

lawman800
07-14-2011, 00:25
If our president keeps it up, we gringos might start sneaking across the border.

tc556guy
07-14-2011, 03:24
23 years and counting.

Hack
07-14-2011, 08:05
:brickwall::rant::faint::ack: :supergrin:

Tell how you really feel. Don't hold it back, lol.

jolly roger
07-14-2011, 14:53
31 years...

Of that, patrol 16 years
detective 5 years
patrol sergeant 4 years
detective sergeant 6 years

Don't want to go no higher...quite happy where I'm at with good people. I like to think I have gained valuable experience not like those Dragoon talked about. 25 years with 1 year experience x 25...we have a few of those too...

FTO, 9 years, firearms instructor, armorer (still). Still enjoy it and the health is good. MUST go in 7 years and will probably roll out in 4 as long as we still have the same brass. Pretty good outfit overall. Been lucky...very lucky.

Trigger Finger
07-14-2011, 17:11
Lenno said yesterday that the Texas mother that gave birth to a 16 lb baby was actually smuggling an illegal alien into the U.S. :supergrin:

KiloBravo
07-14-2011, 19:47
31 years...

Of that, patrol 16 years
detective 5 years
patrol sergeant 4 years
detective sergeant 6 years

Don't want to go no higher...quite happy where I'm at with good people. I like to think I have gained valuable experience not like those Dragoon talked about. 25 years with 1 year experience x 25...we have a few of those too...

FTO, 9 years, firearms instructor, armorer (still). Still enjoy it and the health is good. MUST go in 7 years and will probably roll out in 4 as long as we still have the same brass. Pretty good outfit overall. Been lucky...very lucky.

WOW...to you and all of the other guys here who have put in their time, thank you all from the bottom of my heart, once again. I can only hope and pray that if I get the opportunity within the coming year to graduate from the academy, and start fulfilling my dream in LE, that I can have as long and successful career as a lot of you here. :wavey:

redneck1861
07-14-2011, 21:10
I hear the only good Cops are the ones with medium seasoning. If there is too much season, they have too strong of taste, not enough and they become bland, but I havent personally tried cops before. lol

MSP Sarge
07-14-2011, 21:47
28 years last July 5th.

series1811
07-26-2011, 11:27
So there you are slacker! long time no see, you gonna use the excuse that yo got a life?

Good to see ya Bro!

I've been hiding out in a foreign country. Internet was a much more recent invention there, apparently. :supergrin:

TBO
08-16-2014, 01:49
:tbo:

Sent from my ORI using Copatalk

PinkoCommie
08-16-2014, 02:45
It's ALIVE! ALIVEEEEEE!!!

steveksux
08-16-2014, 07:42
Wow, zombie thread!

That said, I feel compelled to nominate MTPD, who also hasn't been heard from in quite a while... :tongueout::rofl:

May have to hide behind a wall of bullets for that remark...

Randy

OMEGA5
08-16-2014, 09:45
I thought this might be a fun question. I hope to be able to participate in answering this question myself in the coming year if all goes well.

How many years have you all been an officer? If retired now, how many did you put in during your career?

Began my LEO career in 1969, Washington DC Metro, 2nd
Precinct Corner of 2nd and L&M (triangle shaped block that
housed the Precinct and parking lot. Walked a beat. Didn't
have radios then. Used a call box that was on every other
block. Call in every 30 minutes or they'd come looking for
you. Arrest someone and had to drag them at least a block
with every Bro of his, trying to take him away from you
which ended up in more arrests. I've had to leave them
cuffed to a street light or tree and get to a call box for a
paddy wagon before a bro. came up with a pair of blolt
cutters and ruined a good pair of cuffs.
Spent 41 years as an LEO. 3 cities (4 different COP's), 1
county (3 different Sherrif's) and finally State, 4 different
Govenors. Retired officially 4-15-13 after spending 4.5
months on vacation.
Never been so happy in my life as I am right now. :cool:
Dano

Detectorist
08-16-2014, 10:08
Thanks to all for your service. Can't imagine having over 30 years on the job.

Also want to thank you folks for providing me with new customers every day. :cool:

cowboywannabe
08-16-2014, 10:12
don't know about seasoning, but ive been told I'm ripe. LOL

PinkoCommie
08-16-2014, 18:01
Began my LEO career in 1969, Washington DC Metro, 2nd
Precinct Corner of 2nd and L&M (triangle shaped block that
housed the Precinct and parking lot. Walked a beat. Didn't
have radios then. Used a call box that was on every other
block. Call in every 30 minutes or they'd come looking for
you. Arrest someone and had to drag them at least a block
with every Bro of his, trying to take him away from you
which ended up in more arrests. I've had to leave them
cuffed to a street light or tree and get to a call box for a
paddy wagon before a bro. came up with a pair of blolt
cutters and ruined a good pair of cuffs.
Spent 41 years as an LEO. 3 cities (4 different COP's), 1
county (3 different Sherrif's) and finally State, 4 different
Govenors. Retired officially 4-15-13 after spending 4.5
months on vacation.
Never been so happy in my life as I am right now. :cool:
Dano

That's some gnarly old-school policing right there. My hat is off to you, sir.

Mayhem like Me
08-16-2014, 18:04
Thanks to all for your service. Can't imagine having over 30 years on the job.

Also want to thank you folks for providing me with new customers every day. :cool:

Hit 30 this year it kind of passed unremarkably.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Detectorist
08-16-2014, 18:15
Hit 30 this year it kind of passed unremarkably.

Yea, but every time you put on the uniform you put your life on the line. 30 years of that is a long time.

ranger1968
08-16-2014, 18:44
This will be my 25th year;

In that time I have done Patrol (this is my 5th time in Patrol), General Crimes , Major Crimes, Vice/Narcotics, Youth Relations (DARE) , COPs/bike patrol, Intelligence (targeted surveillance) SWAT, Street Crimes, Gangs,Training and a few other things.. I spent a bit of time in the US Customs Task Force ('90's) and attached to DHS ( not really a task force, more like you just sort of disappeared one day and nobody really knew where) for a bit.....

At our place, everything is lateral, so people move in and out of jobs every few years if they want to....

I was thinking that I was gonna do the remainder of my time in Patrol , where I have a really good gig (for me, anyway, nights in one of the worst areas imaginable, which is the sort of place I like, lots of car and foot chases, robberies, dope, shootings and stabbings, gunshots all night long) , but they just approached me about doing the Intel/surveillance gig again, and I am tempted....

OMEGA5
08-16-2014, 19:24
That's some gnarly old-school policing right there. My hat is off to you, sir.

Thanks. I've seen a a lot of changes. When I started, Miranda
was on the books but not the street. It was still legal to shoot
a suspected fleeing felon and a good beat cop needed a Paddy
Wagon to haul in the free booze and other gifts a grateful
community showered him with at Chrismas. We were respected.
I watched as that changed when more and more officers went
to cars and the beat cop died. Believe it or not, I was happiest
as a cop when I walked a beat or rode a Vespa 50cc scooter.
Yes, working violent crimes was exciting, working traffic on the
back of a Harley could be a blast, putting child sexual pedators
in prison was gratifying but for the pure sense of a job well done
when you went off shift, walking a beat was where it was at for me and always will be.
Dano

ranger1968
08-16-2014, 19:29
Thanks. I've seen a a lot of changes. When I started, Miranda
was on the books but not the street. It was still legal to shoot
a suspected fleeing felon and a good beat cop needed a Paddy
Wagon to haul in the free booze and other gifts a grateful
community showered him with at Chrismas. We were respected.
I watched as that changed when more and more officers went
to cars and the beat cop died. Believe it or not, I was happiest
as a cop when I walked a beat or rode a Vespa 50cc scooter.
Yes, working violent crimes was exciting, working traffic on the
back of a Harley could be a blast, putting child sexual pedators
in prison was gratifying but for the pure sense of a job well done
when you went off shift, walking a beat was where it was at for me and always will be.
Dano

Amen, brother; some of the best police work I have ever done was done on foot, blocks from my car, walking the neighborhood; it's how I got to know the area, the people, the shortcuts , what and who belonged and what and who did not, and a thousand other little things that made the work interesting.....

These kids today, you can't hardly get them away from the security blanket that is their car, and most of them think that pulling people over is the pinnacle of law enforcement....:upeyes:

Southswede
08-16-2014, 19:48
26 1/2 for me.......I'm getting tired......

OMEGA5
08-16-2014, 19:56
Amen, brother; some of the best police work I have ever done was done on foot, blocks from my car, walking the neighborhood; it's how I got to know the area, the people, the shortcuts , what and who belonged and what and who did not, and a thousand other little things that made the work interesting.....

These kids today, you can't hardly get them away from the security blanket that is their car, and most of them think that pulling people over is the pinnacle of law enforcement....:upeyes:

Amen brother, Amen.
Dano

silverdet
08-16-2014, 19:59
Will be 34 years March 2015. 10 years in patrol and currently in investigations. Not including 4 years USAF Security Police. So in March 2015 I will be hanging up the badge and find a little calmness in my life.

Sgt127
08-16-2014, 20:56
Geez. I was a Reserve for two years and been full time for 28. I'm a lightweight compared to some of y'all.

knoxvegasdaddy
08-16-2014, 21:18
:rofl: I was wondering how long it would take for an old fart joke about Dragoon. :supergrin:

Apparently, about 1 post or so.:cool:

Has CC99 been mentioned?

Continued good health to you, KB.

knoxvegasdaddy
08-16-2014, 21:44
[QUOTE=South Fla;17381805]Retired - 25 years, 2 months

Seasoned - Probably SAR 4949shooter,CC99

Best Gear Guys - Cochese and DaBigBR agreed!

Best Legal Eagle - wprebeck Sam Spade, Lawman800

Guys that you would want to ride with - CAcop & Lawman800=QUOTE]

Best procedure guy: DaBigBR

Best use of force expert: TBO

Absolutely old school, tough sumbiches:Txleapd, Bren (and I say that with great respect)

People I'd most like to have a beer with: Morris, Cochese, Blueiron

Best "gun guy": mntrpr (I think he owns one of Everything!)

SGT45
08-18-2014, 20:51
34 years and still doing it. I ride a desk mostly, but I may go out more now that we just got the new Caprice and Tahoes.

Ftttu
08-18-2014, 22:45
My 23 is a blip to many of y'all. I will try to do 25 if my wife, body and mind allow.

Snowman92D
08-19-2014, 06:19
That said, I feel compelled to nominate MTPD, who also hasn't been heard from in quite a while... :tongueout::rofl:

May have to hide behind a wall of bullets for that remark...

Be sure you unload your gun before you go hands-on. :rofl:

steveksux
08-19-2014, 06:34
If most seasoned is the criteria, the saltiest would be tough to call between Dragoon and wprebeck...

Randy

captcurly
08-19-2014, 07:26
Thirty years of service. Assigned Patrol for 20 years (including 14 yrs. on motorcycle)and 10 yrs Detective Bureau. Retired 20 years ago with rank of Capt. I entered law enforcement 50 yrs ago. If I am not seasoned I am certainly old school. Regards to all at GT.

Wil Ufgood
08-19-2014, 09:25
25 years, most working warrants. Retiring next year, I'm ready. Lot of old crusty bastards here. That's for sure.

25pd
08-19-2014, 15:01
Retired in 1995 as LT, after 25 yrs -worked Anti Crime Unit, CID Unit and as Patrol Shift Cmdr. Enjoyed every moment of my career and the people I worked w/ over the years. Good luck to all of you newebies and BE SAFE!!!!!!!:wavey:

Detectorist
08-19-2014, 15:39
I wouldn't mess with Dragoon. When he served his warrants, he had to carry the stone tablets a long distance. Not even his trusty dinosaur ride wanted any part of that.

BL33D 4 M3
08-19-2014, 16:07

I sincerely thank you.

Great post. :patriot:

RussP
08-20-2014, 07:17
Great post. :patriot:Amen!!

MoCop
08-22-2014, 19:22
Been doing this job going on 14 years now. Not even close to the most seasoned. blueiron, great post, btw.