Court problems from Glock over-travel mod [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Court problems from Glock over-travel mod

21Carrier
05-22-2011, 10:10
Mas, thanks again for your time and making your wealth of knowledge and experience so readily accessible. I know any trigger modifications that reduce trigger pull weight can be dangerous both in safe handling and in court, so I've left my trigger weight stock on my Glock 29. However, recently I duplicated this modified trigger housing that is sold on the aftermarket to reduce trigger over-travel. Basically, it does two things: one, when my trigger breaks, it stops right there (no over-travel). Second, it shortens the distance of the trigger reset. Can you think of any reason this would cause me grief in court? I know it would be best to leave it stock, but I shoot so much better without the over-travel and with the short reset. Thanks!

Mas Ayoob
05-23-2011, 07:21
I don't recall working with that particular set-up. Court problems in this regard seem to come from "guns that are too easy to discharge." Resetting and lack of backlash don't seem to be big issues.

best,
Mas

21Carrier
05-23-2011, 13:04
Thanks a lot, Mas, that's just what I was thinking. I reasoned that as long as it was not any easier to fire, or accidentally fire, that I'd be ok. I do realize that your response is not absolute, as an ambitious prosecutor could make nearly ANYTHING seem malicious, and ANY gun modification could be dangerous. However, given that I shoot so much better with it, I feel comfortable carrying it.

Another added benefit of the short reset stroke that I just realized after reading some old responses of yours is that it makes it less likely that I'll fail to reset the trigger under duress. I read your ideas on people "riding the reset", and how it could potentially cause problems if the shooter didn't release the trigger all the way to the reset point. I do "ride the reset", and having an extremely short reset helps protect against such a situation.