Sig 516 or Ruger SR556? Which would you get? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig 516 or Ruger SR556? Which would you get?

Rancher
05-22-2011, 13:21
Just posted in the GFF on this and now doing it here. Gonna get a new AR. Decided on either the Ruger SR556 or Sig 516 and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with either of these AR's?

I own 2 Colt DI AR's and want a piston gun. Saw one post here where someone stated the 516was having complaints on another forum and I really had not seen that either at AR15.com or the Sig forums.

I know all the other piston AR's out there but have really dicided on one of the above.

Any input appreciated.

Rancher

boomhower
05-22-2011, 14:17
If I had to pick one it would be the 516. IMHO the 556 is an abomination. If I were to get a piston it would be an LWRC upper on a custom lower.

EDIT
When I read 556 I was still thinking Sig and completely missed the Ruger part. I don't know much of anything about the Ruger.

G23Adam
05-22-2011, 15:01
I would buy neither. SigForums is bursting with problems with the 516... And the 556 Ruger is thrown together.

If you REALLY want a Piston rifle (Why?!) I would buy LMT.
http://www.lmtstore.com/monolithic-rail-platforms-mrp-cqb/cqb-mrp-piston-top-end-16-full-auto.html

If you don't like LMT, then I'd go HK
http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/mr556_general.asp

or POF
http://www.pof-usa.com/upper/upperreceiver.htm

But this is what you really want:
http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF022&gid=FNG007

ftw13
05-22-2011, 15:13
theres a thread going on on M4C or WE about a SR556 w/ 5Krds through it....its not thrown together.

G23Adam
05-22-2011, 15:25
Let me know when you have 100's of them going through 5k rounds.

mjkeat
05-22-2011, 16:12
I think piston guns in general are always going to have negative threads no matter what the manufacturer.

I like my LWRC but you'll find people who will bad mouth the name.

LMT makes great DI's so Id speculate their piston guns were of similar quality.

Thdrawback for me comes from the parts being proprietary. Its all just a bunch of "what ifs", but what if one of these manufacturers went under.

Seeing as you have a couple DIs I say go for it. Its nice to have a variety of rifles. Take a look at LWRC, LMT and the SCAR.

KalashniKEV
05-22-2011, 16:40
Neither.

And not POF either.

Daekwan
05-22-2011, 17:12
Neither to be honest. Stick with DI & a brand that has a better AR history.

micdude
05-22-2011, 23:34
Neither to be honest. Stick with DI & a brand that has a better AR history.

+2 on this look on sigforum for yourself and see what they are saying.

mixflip
05-23-2011, 11:45
Completely ignoring the OP's instructions... neither...

I'd buy the HKMR556A1 or SCAR17. I shot both at Shot Show media day and loved them. Too bad they are WAYYYYYYY over priced.

mjkeat
05-23-2011, 12:41
Completely ignoring the OP's instructions... neither...

I'd buy the HKMR556A1 or SCAR17. I shot both at Shot Show media day and loved them. Too bad they are WAYYYYYYY over priced.

I dont believe they did. Read the OP.

I believe he said, "Any input appreciated."

WoodenPlank
05-23-2011, 12:49
Neither. The only "good" piston guns are horribly over-priced (an upper for 50-100% more than the price of a complete DI gun from BCM). To quote Mr. Murphy from another recent piston thread, it is a solution in search for a problem.

AK_Stick
05-23-2011, 15:17
If I really, really wanted one of those two, I'd go with the Ruger. Its a fine rifle, one of my shooting partners has one. It does its job.

If I really, just had to have a piston gun, it'd either be a LMT, or a LWRC, or H&K depending upon what I wanted. with the slight edge going to LWRC, LMT being second, and H&K being a distant third.

MrMurphy
05-23-2011, 16:45
I'm with AK Stick.

If you HAVE to go piston......LWRC builds solid guns that aren't craptacular Frankenpieces. LMT also builds a solid gun and understand the platform in both DI and piston.

If you want a black rifle designed ground up for piston, get a SCAR-17. Everyone i know that runs a 16 or 17 says they run like a raped ape, and not all of them are talking civilian range time.

wellcraft
05-23-2011, 16:45
Just posted in the GFF on this and now doing it here. Gonna get a new AR. Decided on either the Ruger SR556 or Sig 516 and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with either of these AR's?

I own 2 Colt DI AR's and want a piston gun. Saw one post here where someone stated the 516was having complaints on another forum and I really had not seen that either at AR15.com or the Sig forums.

I know all the other piston AR's out there but have really dicided on one of the above.

Any input appreciated.

Rancher

between the two i would choose the ruger because ruger has had time to work out all the bugs like the carrier tilt issue. from what i've read the majority of people that own the ruger have been satisfied with them. the ruger comes with a nice set of flip up sites, troy quad rail, 3 magpul mags and a nice carry case. i've seen the ruger drop down in price to around 1300 bucks which is a pretty damn good price for a pistol AR. i don't know anything about the SIG 516 other than i wasn't impressed with it when i handled one at a gunshow. if money is not an issue then you may want to look at LWRC, LMT or POF piston guns which are great guns but you are looking at paying north of 1800 dollars.

ducdungt
05-23-2011, 17:41
I'm with AK Stick.

If you HAVE to go piston......LWRC builds solid guns that aren't craptacular Frankenpieces. LMT also builds a solid gun and understand the platform in both DI and piston.

If you want a black rifle designed ground up for piston, get a SCAR-17. Everyone i know that runs a 16 or 17 says they run like a raped ape, and not all of them are talking civilian range time.

:rofl:

djegators
05-23-2011, 19:08
Personally I wouldn't get either. In fact, I have very little interest in any piston systems. But, since the OP already has two top tier Colt ARs, this purchase seems to be more about collecting or simply wanting something, so I say get whatever tickles your fancy and enjoy!

bowbender7
05-25-2011, 11:23
Had a piston gun, (Ruger SR556) sold it and went back to DI. I really wanted it to be the "cats meow" but buffer wear was obvious within 50 rds :(

That is my experience.

GIockGuy24
05-25-2011, 23:19
A friend has the Ruger and he really likes it. He hasn't had any trouble and it looks well made. The Sig looks to be based on the LWRC piston rifle. One issue with early ones has been the bolt. The recall adds or changes a sleeve on the bolt. I did a Rhino piston conversion years ago and without the gas rings the standard bolt fits the bolt carrier very loosely. I don't know if that is why Sig is adding a sleeve to the bolt now though. My Armalite AR-10 in 7.62 has gas rings but when I remove them the bolt is a closer fit to the bolt carrier than in an AR-15. The AR-10 will work with the gas rings removed because of the fit and the amount of gas the the 7.62 cartridge produces. I got to handle and break down the H&K MR556 and it's the best built looking rifle I've ever seen. It has an issue with not taking some plastic magazines though. I might get a Ruger or the H&K. I'm waiting to see the H&K MR762 first though.