Considering a weapon mounted light. Thoughts? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Considering a weapon mounted light. Thoughts?

KiloBravo
05-22-2011, 16:53
Let me preface this by saying I carry a standard surefire G2 with me everywhere I go. I will continue to do so regardless of what I decide to do next.

I have been reading a lot of reviews and doing a good bit of research on the streamlight TLR-1 and have determined that is the light I will buy if I go this route. This will be for a new rtf2 G17. It is my new carry gun from now on.

Anybody heard of any significant reliability issues with lights on the 9mm glocks? I realize every gun is different, but that seems to be more of an issue with the .40 cal glocks. I have checked on a holster from Bladetech to carry the new setup. But it states it is for a glock with a surefire x300. Does anybody know if it would work with this set up?

Please keep the comments about what and how I want to carry to yourself. I am accustomed to carrying a full sized steel frame 1911 so weight and bulk do not bother me in the least.

Thanks for any help in advance. :wavey:

dukeguy
05-22-2011, 17:03
I have a TLR-3 mounted on my G19, as well as a Polytac on my Rem 870. Both Streamlight products have been very reliable. I would also recommend Crown Holsters, if you're looking for a kydex holster. Customer service is exceptional, the quality is very good and the price is reasonable.

http://www.crownholsters.com/store/

KiloBravo
05-22-2011, 20:00
Awesome! I spoke to Chris from Crown Holsters earlier this evening. He is a super nice guy. I will be placing my order tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

pisc1024
05-23-2011, 07:13
Hey,
That’s the set up I run with my 17 and I have had no issues with it. I've probably put about 500 rounds through the gun with the light attached.

Genin
05-23-2011, 07:17
My TLR-1 has seen about 1k rounds through it on 2 different G19s and it has been flawless. It also served on my 12 gauge for a while so I'd say it's a very robust light.

swinokur
05-24-2011, 03:17
Insight M6X LED light laser on my G29SF. Surefire X300 on my G30. Surefire LED fore end light on my 870. No issues at all.

tk_it_ez
05-28-2011, 18:33
I was planning on buying a tac light/laser combo until I had a chance to talk with 2) ex LEOs behind the gun counter at Cabelas.

80% of their gun area employees are ex LEO and have years of experience ... at my local store anyway.

Both of them made me think twice about having a tac light on a handgun though and that conversation really sticks in my mind.

If you're a perp and are in a dark area, where are you gonna point to first before you send off your 1st round?Whoa.....when I put myself in that position I agree 100%.

They were also discussing several other advantages of carrying a small really bright light like a Surefire separate from your weapon.

Such as:
You can lay that light on the floor, roll it and sweep a room without making you the target.So I think I'm forgoing the taclight except.....the Streamlight Model TLR-2S
has a strobe configuration that I think would do nicely in disorienting an opponent:
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=179

Surefire's equivalent X400 model does not offer the strobe mode, and I think they are waaaay overpriced.

I have little personal experience in the combo on a handgun, but since I'm crippled I'll use any advantage I can get, and a laser on my gun is close to being a necessity.

I am a green laser proponent, but have heard they don't function well in cold weather and use a LOT more power to operate.

cowboy1964
10-06-2011, 19:48
You can lay that light on the floor, roll it and sweep a room without making you the target.

I'd love to hear from a pro on whether or not that is a recommended technique. Sounds pretty mall ninja to me. For example, wouldn't you be a target while you turn the light on, lay it on the floor, and roll it? Wouldn't it also be a disadvantage to not have the light anymore? Unless you want to expose yourself more while you retrieve it. etc. etc. etc. Why am I even discussing this?!!?

Each light type has advantages and disadvantages. Read this:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob128.html

Aceman
10-06-2011, 21:29
I was planning on buying a tac light/laser combo until I had a chance to talk with 2) ex LEOs behind the gun counter at Cabelas.

80% of their gun area employees are ex LEO and have years of experience ... at my local store anyway.

Both of them made me think twice about having a tac light on a handgun though and that conversation really sticks in my mind.
Whoa.....when I put myself in that position I agree 100%.

They were also discussing several other advantages of carrying a small really bright light like a Surefire separate from your weapon.

Such as:
So I think I'm forgoing the taclight except.....the Streamlight Model TLR-2S
has a strobe configuration that I think would do nicely in disorienting an opponent:

Surefire's equivalent X400 model does not offer the strobe mode, and I think they are waaaay overpriced.

I have little personal experience in the combo on a handgun, but since I'm crippled I'll use any advantage I can get, and a laser on my gun is close to being a necessity.

I am a green laser proponent, but have heard they don't function well in cold weather and use a LOT more power to operate.

I think I know why they are EX LEO's...

BlackPaladin
10-11-2011, 23:01
This same way of thinking makes its way around GT about every 4 months or so. I will say the same as was said the last time it went around "stupid thinking." Just because you have a weapon mounted light does NOT mean it has to be turned on. There is a good reason why current LE and military use these daily. I am not sure what kind of mall ninjas told you otherwise.

Such as:

Bilbo Bagins
10-12-2011, 07:09

Such as:

So now your holding a light in another hand and that is going to prevent the bad guy from shooting at the light and hitting you? Whoa...The light is not under the barrel but a few inches to the left or right, so now I'm safe? Does it really matter?

http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/imagea29.pdd.jpg

Stobes can also distracting to not only the Badguy, but to the shooter if you are not careful. I have a TLR3 on my gun, basically so I will always have a light, in case I cannot find Fenix flashlight. Its better to have a BRIGHT flashlight with a strobe function only because handgun mounted lights are not that strong yet. my TLR-3 is 85 lums and great for ID'ing your target, and to find a badguy hiding in a dark corner, but having +200 lums flashlight makes it difficult for a bad guy to even look directly at you.